R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hi Clifford! You live in a place that is nearing the top of my bucket list for a week or so of riding. I've been looking at various itineraries and routes and once you get settled in here on the forum I'd love to hear your advice about visiting there from the USA, renting a sport/touring bike or ADV bike, and where I should go rambling around there. For one thing, I'd like to learn more about the culture of camping there - only approved places? primitive camping in scenic or fun places? what I'd call stealth camping here in America.

Welcome to the forum!

Wes

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on the new ride Clifford! I lived in your beautiful country for two years in the 80s - Dunoon/Holy Loch.

I only had a Suzuki RM-125 (MX bike) at the time but many of my fondest memories, motorcycling and otherwise, are from that period.

Can't imagine a better motorcycle for Scotland's roads, trails and rain than a GS. Wishing you many happy miles (kilometers) on yours!

@GrayBeard: If you have Amazon Prime, they have an excellent adventure documentary that might be of interest: Highlands & Islands - Where Scotland's Heart Beats Loudest. Scotland by Motorcycle

·
Registered
646 Posts
@GrayBeard: If you have Amazon Prime, they have an excellent adventure documentary that might be of interest: Highlands & Islands - Where Scotland's Heart Beats Loudest. Scotland by Motorcycle
Thank you for that reference. I've just watched it and recommitted myself to doing this ride. It was supposed to be this year but I got sidetracked. I can't take 6 weeks like the gentleman in the movie, but I think I can use the highlights of his ride to make for an Epic 2 week ride around Scotland and another week to ride south through the Lakes, Yorkshire Dales, Peak, and the Cottswolds. I think that if I go missing some day, you'll probably be able to find me living a simple life there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts