R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
I currently ride an Africa Twin 2016 and looking to switch to a GS. The main reason is long-distance comfort and a bit more 'finesse. I like the AT a lot, but I am planning more roads and easy off-road (gravel/ unpaved).
I like the 2018 GS1200 Rallye look and have an option to buy one from a dealer. However, the asking price is almost the same as a used 2019 1250GS so I assume the 1250 will be a better buy and resell value.
Another option is to save money and go for an older 2014-+ model with accessories etc (which add up quite a lot) and use that for a year or two before committing to a newer model.
Or, keep my AT, change the tyres, add a better screen and call it a day ;-).
What do you think?
Cheers
M

·
Administrator
1,401 Posts
What about the Africa Twin is limiting your long-distance comfort? I'd start there to make the best choice or you may end up in the same spot.

Maybe it is simply tires?
:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about the Africa Twin is limiting your long-distance comfort? I'd start there to make the best choice or you may end up in the same spot.

Maybe it is simply tires?
:)
A lot of buffeting in high-speed, no cruise control and overall all day comfort. You are right, maybe a few mods will make a difference.
Thanks.

·
Administrator
1,246 Posts
I keep hearing from owners that the 1250 is a nice improvement over the 1200GS but I've got my 2016 exactly the way I want it I'm really not in the mood start that long and expensive farkle fest all over again. I think though if I was starting where you are I'd lean toward the newer 1250s.

By the way, my annual long distance road trip pal is on an early model Africa Twin and loves it. He's never had cruise control or a quick shifter so he doesn't miss it.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
If you like the AT why not invest a small amount of money into it and see if the tires and windscreen get it where you want? If they don't help, then look for a different bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you like the AT why not invest a small amount of money into it and see if the tires and windscreen get it where you want? If they don't help, then look for a different bike.
Yes I think you're right. I keep on thinking the 'grass in greener on the GS. I'll make some changes and see how it goesn. thanks.

·
Administrator
1,401 Posts
I do get you on the cruise. My 07 GSA only has a throttle lock, great when road is flat, not so good in the hills. I found the simple Crampbuster makes a huge difference on wrist fatigue, easy to roll out of the way when you don't want it. I would almost have that than the throttle lock if forced to choose, but best with both.

If you are a tall guy the GS/GSA may have some buffeting too until you find the right windscreen and/or deflector. I find I am best with my deflector in the highest position to avoid buffeting.

They say the Africa Twin stock seat is better than BMW stock seats...may be worth trying an aftermarket one that may fit your bottom better. I got lucky with a used Corbin that works for me with a sheepskin over the top.

I think the big difference you'll find on the BMW is the handling and powerband characteristics. A riding buddy of mine had a 18 GS that had issues and bought an 18 Africa Twin Adventure Sports keep riding. He eventually bought a 20 1250 GS and sold the AT. His take was the GS felt a bit more refined but certainly at a higher cost.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do get you on the cruise. My 07 GSA only has a throttle lock, great when road is flat, not so good in the hills. I found the simple Crampbuster makes a huge difference on wrist fatigue, easy to roll out of the way when you don't want it. I would almost have that than the throttle lock if forced to choose, but best with both.

If you are a tall guy the GS/GSA may have some buffeting too until you find the right windscreen and/or deflector. I find I am best with my deflector in the highest position to avoid buffeting.

They say the Africa Twin stock seat is better than BMW stock seats...may be worth trying an aftermarket one that may fit your bottom better. I got lucky with a used Corbin that works for me with a sheepskin over the top.

I think the big difference you'll find on the BMW is the handling and powerband characteristics. A riding buddy of mine had a 18 GS that had issues and bought an 18 Africa Twin Adventure Sports keep riding. He eventually bought a 20 1250 GS and sold the AT. His take was the GS felt a bit more refined but certainly at a higher cost.
Thanks,
I do have the option to add proper cruise control (MC Cruise system). I will go back to the smaller AT screen and add a small spoiler. If I think about it, I do not ride enough to justify a GS. But it will be nice to own one, one day.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have a buddy who side stepped to an AT , but got tired rather quickly of its lack of power an returned to a GS.
Owning a 1200 LC and a 1250 myself, I would prefer a NEW RALLYE 1200 LC to a USED 1250 for the same price.
The added power of the bigger engine is nice but the 1200 is no slouch neither and I’d try and avoid buying secondhand, if possible .
The TFT display of the 1250 Is a plus, though, but many 2018 models have it too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts