R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2018 R1200GS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using a HiFlo air filter for their GS? If so, how's it working out? I'm thinking of using HiFlo HFA7915 as a replacement filter for my next scheduled maintance. Thanks for your input!

·
Survivor
864 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Check this out. Might provide more reliable information than you will get from any one person.

This summary chart provides most of what you want to know: https://bestrestproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Oil-filter-charts-revised-03-14-18.pdf

Here is a video that also provides good info:
But the OP was inquiring about air filters not oil filters.

Thread drift - Are oil filters essential? The old 60/70/s era oil-filter less Guzzi 700/850cc engines were know to go hundred's of thousands of miles on dino oil from the time period. With modern oils they probably run forever.

My 72 Eldorado was know the drain pan plug out and since it was about a 1" opening the oild drained out in seconds. Screw the back in and nip up on it. Then dump in 4 quarts of earl in and ride. Tool longer to carry the old earl to the shed to dump in in the collection bucket.

·
Registered
2018 R1200GS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1 Posts
As long as its a pleated paper filter element not a gauze type filter like K&N go for it.
What's wrong with a K&N replacement filter ? I've been using them for years and if oiled & cleaned properly it filters the dirt and dust much more efficiently than a dry paper pleated OEM filter. (It's the oil in the K&N that keeps the dirt out) The intake tracks after the filter are much cleaner when I service the GS after extensive dirt road riding and a bonus is a dirty K&N flows much more than a new dry paper filter and makes up to 3hp more on the dyno.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The arguments against gauze type filters have been made millions of times. Arguing it one more time will not change the outcome.

If you are happy with the performance of pleated gauze type filter, please continue to use them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've run both on many bikes from BMW's to Vespa's to Harley's. I've noticed negligible difference in performance on modern engines and the convenience of throwing a $14 paper filter in the trash vs cleaning, drying, and oiling (properly done, an overnight ordeal) makes paper my choice.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I've run both on many bikes from BMW's to Vespa's to Harley's. I've noticed negligible difference in performance on modern engines and the convenience of throwing a $14 paper filter in the trash vs cleaning, drying, and oiling (properly done, an overnight ordeal) makes paper my choice.
The common misconception is that simply adding more air or a free'er flowing exhaust translates to more power. Those are only parts of the equation. It's that that thing that sits between the intake and exhaust that is the 3rd part of the trifecta. If the motor cannot consume or flow all this new found air in/out it's all for not.

I'd also venture a guess that the claimed 3hp gains were at WOT and there was a loss somewhere else. Even if there was a new 3hp add to a 500lb+ bike it would be like jettisoning a deck chair off the titanic hoping to outrun the iceberg.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Well there ya go. Well maybe my post will be of interest to someone.
There are some good evaluations of air filters out there as well.
You are quite right about the evaluations of air filters as Best Rest's owner, Dave Petersen, has posted about the Guglatech Rally Raid Air Filters. I've been using one in my GSA for a bit over a year and purposely didn't clean it until I had one trip across the US and two MABDR rides totaling a over 9,000 miles. When I pulled it, it was nasty looking but the air box was clean as a pin. I washed the filter using Dawn and, after it thoroughly dried, I oiled it with Best Rest's recommended oil.

Mike

·
Administrator
1,290 Posts
What's wrong with a K&N replacement filter ? I've been using them for years and if oiled & cleaned properly it filters the dirt and dust much more efficiently than a dry paper pleated OEM filter. (It's the oil in the K&N that keeps the dirt out) The intake tracks after the filter are much cleaner when I service the GS after extensive dirt road riding and a bonus is a dirty K&N flows much more than a new dry paper filter and makes up to 3hp more on the dyno.
Here is a lengthy thread if you care to read.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts