R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Totally lost...
High Beam shows clip with BOTH leads hot when High Beam is switched on... and so bulb won'light. I also have a headlight in the LED Dash display with arrow forward. LoBeam works like a champ.
Also, when Headlight Switch is ON, the bulb (confirmed to be working by swapping out w lo beam) shows a very dim wattage, and still both H7 Leads hot. WHAT IN THE WORLD. I did replace the connector to the Speedo/Headlight assembly, the 3 wire one and can NOT remember if things started NOT working afterward, though I don't think it's from the change out of the connector.
I'm so bummed... can't get the hi beam to function correctly.
Ideas?
MANY THANKS!

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
2,183 Posts
The bulb and arrow indicate a bulb is blown and either front or rear of the bike. It possible if the LED's you installed are not CANBUS compliant, so it won't work.

Best thing to do is put everything back to stock and see if it works. Then change one thing at a time and test to see if operation before moving on.

Remember switch's on a CANBUS system are not like typical switches. On CANBUS the switch/switches communicate with the computer and the computer is want actually turns the component on/off. The switch just signals the computer to do something, On a traditional system there is a dry set of contacts that are made or broken allowing current to flow or not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This'll help, but one'll need to be either an Electical Engineer or a BMW Tech... it's just what I had to do to TroubleShoot this Project above. I hope to learn what ports should be charged at what times on the Headlight-To-SpeedoClustor and tracing the OEM Wires from the Harness is also helpful to me.

Let the flaming begin...

Font Parallel Number Pattern Rectangle

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like/hate your idea of going back to stock and make changes to where I want to be watching closely the results as I get to where I want to be... one by one by one by one change at a time... DANG!
And of course you're right.

The first time it happened where HiBeam would not illuminate was bc I pig-tailed off the 3rd Brake Light to power my Fogs... stupid CanBus. I wish I wadn't such a tight-wad and just'd spring for the $300 Hex Can... WHHHAAAAA!!! What a rip. I understand the MANY advantages of CanBus on this platform, just hate that I can't slap shite on wherever/whenever! Or that I have to pull from Batt which means I'll leave SOMETHING on one time and come back to DeadBatt.

I pulled from Batt to Switch to Relay to GPS and VoltMeter/USB Port and of course that's fine. And WHEN I forget to turn off the Dash Switch the GPS (off) and VoltMeter/USB shouldn't hurt the Batt too bad, 'specially since I get to ride her everyday.

I did pick up a "Euro CanBus Adapter from www.ElectricalConnection.com that pig-tailed off the 3rd HeadLight with a Resistor, ran that to Dash Switch to Relay (which'll protect the CanBus) and Fogs were then Ignition-driven. Yet I had the HiBeam problem before that (and yes, I was running the Fogs off that 3rd HeadLight before with just-a-wire, making the change to the Resistor-wire yesterday... I reckon both 'trip' the CanBus then... which means the $30 Resistor wire I bought did not work. Funny thing is, I took off the Resistor wire suspecting it the problem and I still get the 'No HiBeam' w LCD 'Error Bulb Picture'. Again though I tested both bulbs (Cyclops for BMW BTW... which should not interfere w the CanBus??? though it seems you're saying it is) and they are working... it's just 'something' is powering BOTH terminals when I hit the HiBeams!
Oh poop!
PerazziMx14
I remember your screen name having been on here a while back and then 'Life' took aholta me a little bit and I got off Social Media... THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR RESPONSE as I remember you VERY HELPFUL BEFORE!!!

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
2,183 Posts
There is no need for expensive CAN-Openers or CANBUS ready accessories. A $90 FZ-8 fuze block powered off the battey and triggered off a keyed power source gives you 8 fused circuits to power a myriad of accessories separate from the bikes wiring and blind to the CANBUS.

The headlights are different as they are connected to the CANBUS but you can get CANBUS ready bulbs or a replacement LED headlight bucket. For me I left the halogen headlight bulbs in place and added LED driving light to supplement the lackluster OEM headlight. In fact I've bought GS that the previous owner added HID or LED headlight bulbs and I revert them back to stock and add LED pods. It's just way simpler and very effective.

FWIW also check the headlight plug connector to make sure its in good repair. The OEM bakelite does get brittle from lots of heat cycles (especially with HID and old LED bulbs with fans) and can crumble when you try to remove them. Or the wiring melts. Plastic or better yet ceramic replacement plugs are readily available at most auto parts stores or as alway Amazon can have them on you doorstep in a day or two.

Cheers,

P-14

Reactions: craighunterarizona

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
... ridiculous...
{{{ sigh }}}

PerazziMx14... DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW LONG I'VE BEEN SEARCHING FOR A WORK-AROUND TO THE HEX-CAN, AMONG OTHER 'CRAZILY' EXPENSIVE (and I ALWAYS believed, not COMPLETELY necessary) ITEMS TO 'WORK-AROUND' THE CANBUS REQUIREMENTS?!?!?! It's been like FOREVER!!! And here you BLAST it out in 2 sentences or less, and in a way that I can start ordering some shite.
!!! WOW !!!
I buttoned her back up last night for a 825m Ride to see my Dad in San Rafael tonight (me in Mesa, AZ)... ETD 10p and I'll hit that. Added GPS (so not relegated to stupid & sometimes POSSESSED Google Maps), Rain-X and Pinlocks anywhere I could/should, RainGear checked (New Tires now broken in, Rain Gear including WP gloves & Gaitors, WaterProofer on Frame Canvas Bags & on 'Cold Gloves' as Rain Gloves are already WP, EXTRA RearEnd ReflectiveTape like a Euro-Rider, AAAAAAANNNNDDD the right MindSet). 'Twas on another Site and got a HUGE list-a 'Do This' for a Rain Ride (it's always raining in NorCal this time-a-year)... #1 suggestion, "Be Smoov & Enjoy the Ride Brah!!!"
And ya'll know what THAT means... it won't Rain!!! Boring Ride on way up and PCH/Hwy1 to SoCal and over a mountain on some ridiculous twisty on the way back. All good since I 'need' the RainRiding Experience on my resume (only been 'caught' in quick storms).
So she's shooken down, buttoned up, RedToGo and I'll tackle the No HiBeams upon my return (solid Fogs'll keep it bright 'til then).
Funny 'notice' on Ride this am... Horn bleats (after-market) making me think 'HiBeam/Horn' controls might be contributing in the way of shorts or not-very-good contacts. Ignition sometimes acts funny at Key... 1 over and sometimes lights light, sometimes she'll even allow a start from there, and other things I can't think of right now... 'Might be time for her to FINALLY see a BMW Tech... 'guess I'll have to knock over a QT later!!!
It's electrical, so it'll be fun to SAY THE LEAST!!!
And Oh-By-The-DAMN-Way... HOW MANY GSessessessss CAN A PERSON HAVE?!?!
Thanks very much!!!

·
Administrator
1,980 Posts
PerazziMx14... DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW LONG I'VE BEEN SEARCHING FOR A WORK-AROUND TO THE HEX-CAN
The full P14 writeup is pinned in the Maintenance and Modifications section:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts