R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 GSA 97,000 miles, clutch was starting to slip.

Before replacing the clutch I thought I'd bleed it first. I did some research and it turns out it's a common issue on these bikes. What happens is as the clutch wears, the fluid level in the reservoir increases; eventually the fluid has nowhere to go, the system pressurizes and the clutch starts to slip. BMW doesn't specify a maintenance interval for clutch fluid, so I figure 5 years is a pretty good time to flush it. My fluid was completely black and the reservoir was overflowing once I pulled the cover off. I've never serviced the clutch before this.

Some things I learned:
1. You don't need to remove the starter to bleed, there's enough room to get a ratchet in there. It's a 6mm fitting.
2. You don't need any special tools, gravity bleed works just fine.
3. I used baby oil. It's 100% mineral oil and works great. $5 at Target.

Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
296 Posts
There was a thread a while back regarding how BMW provided very little info on the clutch fluid. Most important that it was not brake fluid.

Apparently the mineral oil does not attract moisture which is why there is not interval to change it (like brake fluid).

·
Registered
296 Posts
Here is the thread I was referencing.

·
Registered
206 Posts
So while this will work short term it doesn't put material back on the clutch. A worn clutch is still a worn clutch?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So while this will work short term it doesn't put material back on the clutch. A worn clutch is still a worn clutch?
Correct. There's probably 30% of material left on the clutch. I'm just guessing. I'm pretty hard on the clutch. I ride in competitions with the cops.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I had my clutch pack replaced while having the stator replaced under warranty at 60K miles because dealer said clutch was worn, but never got a definitive how worn. I was told replacing clutch while the bike was apart would save $, but still cost $800! If the clutch basket is worn too it gets real expensive!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had my clutch pack replaced while having the stator replaced under warranty at 60K miles because dealer said clutch was worn, but never got a definitive how worn. I was told replacing clutch while the bike was apart would save $, but still cost $800! If the clutch basket is worn too it gets real expensive!
Maybe on a dry clutch bike. On a water cooled bike the clutch is pretty easy to replace.
Rekluse makes a clutch kit now for the water cooled GS. A buddy of mine has it and he's traveling the world on his bike. No issues.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Maybe on a dry clutch bike. On a water cooled bike the clutch is pretty easy to replace.
Rekluse makes a clutch kit now for the water cooled GS. A buddy of mine has it and he's traveling the world on his bike. No issues.
To me this would be all the more reason not to wait and replace the worn parts now while there are just worn parts and not wait until they become failed parts. But its your bike and wallet so if eeking out every last bit of life out of the stock fiber plate is your thing go for it!

As for the Rekluse if didn't want a clutch I'd have bought a Burgman.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To me this would be all the more reason not to wait and replace the worn parts now while there are just worn parts and not wait until they become failed parts. But its your bike and wallet so if eeking out every last bit of life out of the stock fiber plate is your thing go for it!

As for the Rekluse if didn't want a clutch I'd have bought a Burgman.
The Rekluse is just a regular clutch for this bike. No auto. It has more friction disks in it though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts