R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its getting colder and I just picked up the R1250GS want to know the best fitting and most efficient hand muffs. Please only recommend what you have tried in 30 - 40 Fahrenheit temperatures. Thank You

·
Super Moderator
686 Posts
Riding buddy has Hippo Hands, rides sometimes with no gloves in 40°F with the grip heaters on.

I tried Tusk knockoffs on my DR650 as it doesn't have grip heaters, did not fit it or my GSA...too small.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've been using a very old pair of Hippo Hands with summer gloves on my GSA. Beats bulky or heated gloves, you just have to remember where the switchgear is. If I where to replace them, I would buy the one SKI-DOO sells, they have clear windows on the tops so you can see your buttons

·
Super Awesom Person
615 Posts
I've been on a lot of trips with a lot of rain. The FirstGear 3 finger over gloves are outstanding. I put them over my summer gloves and with the handlebar heat on I'm very comfortable in temps as low as 30f. With the summer gloves underneath my hands are warn, dry and I have great dexterity.. It has a wiper blade on the left thumb that works well. When the temperature increases and drys out I switch to my winter gloves without the glove covers. Aerostich Triple Digit Covers :: Aerostich Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

·
Survivor
710 Posts
I have a set of ALCAN Hippo Hands on my Ural GearUp. I ride it all winter in Montana. I used something similar on my Sno Go’s when we lived in Fairbanks. Rode those things in temps down to -20 on purpose and in the -30s by accident. For temperatures above 30 it hardly seems worth the effort to install them.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Ive used Joe Rocket Burner gloves along with the bikes heated grips in -10C up in the Himalayas and hands have been nice and warm. Battery lasts a few hours......

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the Alcan for my GS,. Here's my 2 cents from a female perspective... These don't keep you warm, the ambient temp is the ambient temp, I used this morning at 36 degrees. However they do keep the wind off and the wind makes the temp drop when riding (like wind chill I suppose). I use my summer gloves and even with the handlebar warmers, for me, my finger tips are always cold! So on good road I use my fingertips on the hand grips. Without them my hands would just freeze. I am thinner so I get colder quicker and this may not affect you so these Hippos might work just fine. Word of advice you don't necessarily need the velcro that they provide for the hand guard the wind and other fittings keep them on just fine. They are hand covers NOT hand warmers. Ride safe and have fun!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I use OBR ADV mitts year round on my GS. Easy to get in and out without panic yet good environmental protection. They are made in USA and still look like new after a couple of years. Definitely a quality product.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I use OBR ADV mitts year round on my GS. Easy to get in and out without panic yet good environmental protection. They are made in USA and still look like new after a couple of years. Definitely a quality product.
I just checked them out, will they go over the existing covers with no problems?

Kam

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just checked them out, will they go over the existing covers with no problems?

Kam
You mean the hand guards? Yes. I have the stock 2009 R1200GS hand guards which are fairly large. I also had the same mitts when I had a V-Strom with bark buster hand guards. They worked great with both. In fact you need some had guards for these to be properly supported.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I use the Wunderlich version, because they have they viewing window for the switches (difficult to impossible to "memorize" the position of all the buttons and switches.) Makes it seem as if about 15 degrees warmer than it actually is. . I consider them a necessity for winter use. Easy to remove if it gets warm. Also, I can wear lighter, more comfortable gloves when using them.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Here is a picture of the OBR mitts installed. I have crashed multiple times with these offroad and also had a couple of on-pavement tip overs and no damage even though the OEM plastic handguards underneath broke a few clips.

·
Reprobate
141 Posts
I use Hippo Hands down to 10F (my personal cutoff with a heated jacket liner) and with the heated grips have had no complaints. I also use them in the rain since I really don't like bulky gloves.

A couple of caveats: 1) People differ in their personal comfort zones. I find them absolutely comfortable down to about 25F, and tolerable below that. My wife finds rides at 60F intolerably cold. They don't add heat, they simply block the wind from stealing what you have. 2) You want to be completely familiar with the location and feel of your handlebar controls. I've had GSes since 2007 and find the controls without thinking, but those dependent on the "hunt and peck" method often complain about the lack of visibility.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I picked up the OBR 3/4 mitts a week ago. Tried them at around 50F in summer gloves for a good while. They worked nicely and noticeably better than without having them. Seemed a bit cheaper than other similar options as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bought my hippo hands last year, they fit great over the stock hand guards. I rode down to the mid 20s Fahrenheit and with heated grips no heavy gloves required. As for the “windows” 🙄 I don’t look down at my hands while I ride, I would think that may be dangerous 🤔 Hears to riding year ‘round!

·
Registered
34 Posts
For those with Hippo Hands which model are you using Rogue or Alcan? I have a '17 GSA with Barkbusters and I know the Alcan works for this setup however if possible I'd like to use the smaller Rogue 'if' they will fit over the VPS Barkbusters and be long enough to have the cuff of the jacket protected from the wind/rain. Thanks...

·
Registered
843 Posts
I went with the Alcan. For me, when it comes to protection, I wanted more rather than less.

·
Super Moderator
686 Posts
I went with the Alcan. For me, when it comes to protection, I wanted more rather than less.
I just ordered a set of the mid length Rogue model. That is what my riding buddies have and was thinking they'd be better when I need to stand on gravel...although below 40°F that gets pretty cold. Should I find the too short can always put on my DR.

Will be sure to post a review once I have a ride on them. Looking forward to warm hands and lighter gloves!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts