R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering getting a new family vehicle--to be honest, I want a cage that does what my GS does: decent off-road AND in the twisty stuff, with lots of storage, and comfort for the whole family . . . well, the GS doesn't quite do that--that is more utile than my already capable car. I may drive it to take the tribe cross-country next summer and wouldn't mind having some minor off-road capability as well.

Anyway, this vehicle and the drive across the country got me thinking, "I sure would like to take my GSA with me, but when I am riding it, there is ZERO chance my wife will drive a big vehicle that ALSO is pulling a trailer!" So, that got me thinking more and I asked myself, "Self, what about one a'them trailer hitch-mounted motorbike carriers I see the dirtbike fellas using? I wonder if they make one that can haul a GSA and is there a vehicle suited to take the weight that I actually want?" Turns out they do indeed make a few carriers rated to take the weight of a fuel-laden GSA, and I have checked a few vehicles--SUVs and trucks, natch--that have tongue ratings that can take the weight. So, what am I missing? Other than the fact that my wife STILL won't want to drive such a vehicle, but that's beside the point. Tell me why this is a bad idea. I realize the leverage of the thing on a hitch increases the relative weight/force on the hitch, but I ain't got the maths to figure out to what extent they'd be increased. And I assume the carrier would have to project out from the rear of the vehicle to make room for the GSA which is bigger than a dirtbike, which increases that leverage. Anyone ever seen a rig like that with a GS? I've seen some RVs with such a setup but not on a standard hitch receiver.

So, tell me what I don't know.

·
Super Moderator
685 Posts
I researched hitch carriers a lot for my DR650 (~350-400lbs). I also thought of an occasional service need for the GSA, so looked at ones rated at 600 lbs.

Nearly all reviews of every carrier said not to be on the ragged edge of capacity. Ramps for them need long enough to make it easier to load. Even then, they are awkward and unwieldy. Most dirt bikes are 250 lbs...you are looking at 600. RV ones (hydraulic) are a different story, much heavier.

My advice, get a trailer. For me, I ended up simply loading the DR in my truck bed...didn't have the garage space for a trailer.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hanging 500 or 600 hundred pounds off the back of a passenger vehicle 4ish feet past the rear axle on a piece of 2" box tube is not something I'd do. If you are doing this on vehicle anything less than one with a 1 ton chassis/suspension the headlights will be pointing towards the sky, rear suspension, axle and frame will be screaming for mercy and you'll be able to turn the steering wheel with a feather. The good news is front tire wear will be almost nonexistent as they will barely be touching the ground.

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
245 Posts
I think everybody here agree, bad idea. Maybe you could consider a folding motorcycle trailer. Like this : Stinger Extra Long Folding Motorcycle Trailer

That's the first link I got, there are probably a lot of them on the market.

Just thinking, maybe a folding trailer could be modified to be carried only on the hitch when empty.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Most likely the opinions you are getting is from people that have not used one. I own one and have used it. I have used it with my Ford Expedition and well as my F-250. It rides better on the 250 but it is fine with the Expedition.

I have had it for over 10 years and carried my GSAs using the Expedition to many times to count.

My recommendation is buy the best quality you can get for the carrier and the straps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most likely the opinions you are getting is from people that have not used one. I own one and have used it.
Thanks, Jay. I have seen a few other similar discussions but yours is the first from someone who has actually done it!

Two questions:
• What carrier are you using?
• What class hitch do you have on your two vehicles?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't recall the make and I have lent the carrier to a friend who has a 1200 GSA. He used it to take his bike from KC to Virginia.

When I purchase a vehicle I get the heavy tow package because I haul cattle/horses.

When I use it I do my best to have as little gas in the tank as possible, remove all hard cases, tail and tank bag and anything else to make it as light as possible. I don't know that it mattered but I did it anyway.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I don't recall the make and I have lent the carrier to a friend who has a 1200 GSA. He used it to take his bike from KC to Virginia.

When I purchase a vehicle I get the heavy tow package because I haul cattle/horses.

When I use it I do my best to have as little gas in the tank as possible, remove all hard cases, tail and tank bag and anything else to make it as light as possible. I don't know that it mattered but I did it anyway.
I think the biggest art of the equation is the base vehicle. The OP stated there is a zero change of his wife driving a "big" vehicle. So that will leave out even 1/2 ton full size trucks let alone a 3/4 or 1 ton vehicle. My 2017 Tacoma Sport squats with a 500 pound bike in the bed when the 500lbs is places mostly over the rear axle. I cant imagine a hitch carrier with 500 or 600 lbs hanging off the back of the truck with all the weight past the rear axle. I'd probable have to put wheel on the bumper so evetime I went over a spec bump it wouldn't rip the bumper off.

Now bolt the same carrier onto a F350 and you'll probable not even know its back there. Its not the carrier so much as the vehicle its connected too. YMMV.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the biggest art of the equation is the base vehicle. The OP stated there is a zero change of his wife driving a "big" vehicle. So that will leave out even 1/2 ton full size trucks let alone a 3/4 or 1 ton vehicle.
Yeah, this is my big debate. I'd be fine getting a 3/4 ton but I can imagine her reaction telling her there are days she'd be driving an F250 around.

SOMEONE BUILD MY PERFECT VEHICLE!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yeah, this is my big debate. I'd be fine getting a 3/4 ton but I can imagine her reaction telling her there are days she'd be driving an F250 around.

SOMEONE BUILD MY PERFECT VEHICLE!

The perfect vehicles are out there. Its the other part of your equation that's hemming you up.

Heck my wife is directionally challenged and ever time she goes further than the end of the driveway she asks for directions (that she would be able to follow anyways). I tell her if only they made a devise that was in the dash board of her vehicle that "IF" you typed in some simple information it would communicate turn by turn directions.

She won't parallel park either because she's afraid to back into the car behind her. I tell her "IF" only manufacturers would install a rear facing camera that was triggered on when you put the vehicle in reverse so you could see whats behind you that would be an amazing. I'll then ask if she whats me to tape my iPhone to the back bumpers and then she can user her smart phone to facetime mine so she can see whats behind her.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been looking into this for myself recently to haul two dirt bikes with occasional hauling of my GS. I ran into the same issue with all of the reviews for the double carriers reporting that the carriers are actually only rated to carry 400 lbs. I use my Ridgeline to haul my GS and dirt bikes and according to the hitch receiver, it is rated to carry 600 lbs. Not sure that the weight literally being 3'-4' behind the axle would make for a happy Honda. That Ridgeline platform is the same as the Pilot for comparison.

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
245 Posts
Imprezagato, you probably know the saying "Happy wife, happy life". You are planning a long cross-country trip that should be enjoyable for both of you. The GS is almost a stowaway in that plan, it should not be a burden.

A GS on the back of any vehicle makes it wider, limit your parking options, might prevent the trunk from opening. If you have stop in less 'nice' neighboorhood you'll have to park in a way to make it hard/impossible to steal... That's why I come back with the suggestion of a small trailer (you can even rent one if you lack storage space). It might be easier to have your wife consider the trailer option if she enjoy the car/suv.

Another way could be plannig to stop a few days in the places that you really want to ride, do loops from that place, after that put the bike back in the trailer and keep on travelling.

·
Registered
549 Posts
They claim that their rack can carry a 1000 lbs bike... 1000M Motorcycle Carrier Manual

But they have a trick to control the load...
View attachment 28175

This is even worse. Sure the lift might hold 1,000lbs but with the bike hanging 6 or 7 feet off the bumper a 1% incline and you'll be dragging the lift. Plus the leverage has got to be off the charts. That 1,000 lbs is going to feel like having 5 or 6,000 pounds of tongue weight.

This is about the worst design you could come up with unless of course you designed it so the bike was even further away from the center o the rear axle.

The ratchet straps will be of little use the back portion of the lift will be contacting the ground more often than not going down the road. They'd be better off putting some replaceable snow plow wear shoes on the end of that lift. Once you get those ground off put in new ones.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I looked and looked. Even a heavy-duty Class-A motorhome with a hydraulic lift was iffy to me. Just not ideal. I strongly considered a toy hauler but there are only a few bumper pulled models as compared with 5th wheel ones. Owned a number of just plain utility trailers like something you can get from Tractor Supply, and also had a Stealth 7x12 enclosed trailer with ramp. Ultimately I bought a trailer from Klinger Trailer. Best option in my opinion.

Couple different options:

1) Klinger Trailer - custom built, open, enclosed, ramp, ramp-less, absolutely fantastic!
Utility Trailers, Trailer Repair, Motorcycle Trailers & More - Paw Paw, MI
2) U-Haul - these have gotten great reviews and are cheap to rent
U-Haul Equipment specifications: Motorcycle Trailer

·
Registered
30 Posts
U-Haul trailers have unlimited mileage and are about $25/day, which is super cheap even for a14-day trip. That’s much cheaper than your special lift and the over-size truck combo.

What’s not being discussed is that unless you spend a ton of money on a big-ass truck, you will have to spend more money on suspension mods and/or enhanced hauling capabilities in order to get that too-big moto cattier to work safely. And that’s money that you aren’t likely to put to regular use.

Personally, I would buy a small, plated enduro that fits one of the nothing special dirt bike trays. This path will save you tons of cash, and give you a much better off-road experience than your GSA will. Save your GSA for its design purpose, long distance adventures, not piddly occasional day trips.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts