R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When owning a Buell I was able to use a hitch trailer hitch style hauler which lifts the front wheel and secures it while rolling on the back wheel.

I believe the 12GS has a dry clutch so it should not cause damage while rolling with the engine off and in neutral. Please correct me if this is wrong.

I am new to the GS bike and curious if anyone has used this type of device successfully —or will it run into trouble?

·
Registered
44 Posts
R12GS is shaft drive. Your Buell is belt with connected sprockets. IMO, if you drag the ass end of a BMW, you are asking for problems. Same reason why you don't tow a car with it's drive wheels on the ground. Why are you hauling your R12GS? Why not ride? That's the point of motorcycles. Especially these. But, I guess Harley owners are used to towing their shit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Welcome to the board.

I don't have experience with towing a bike as described but can certainly understand the need under different scenarios. I have a friend who RV's with his wife around the country. They haul a bike with them as they love being able to 2 wheel it at many of their destinations once settled in.

I'm sure you'll receive some informative answers to your good question here. There are a lot of knowledgeable (and polite) of like minded members here.

·
Survivor
677 Posts
Welcome! Despite the sophomoric and pretentious chiding you received earlier, I think you will find most members here try to be helpful.

I've never attempted to tow a bike as you described and I do not know for certain what negative impact it could have on a BMW drive train. On the one hand it seems that towing it with the bike in neutral should not be a problem other than the wear and tear on the final drive and rear suspension. I might try it in a pinch to get the bike to a shop if need be, but I would not tow it any long distance or regularly. Not being certain of the potential damage is enough reason not to do it, in my opinion.

Buying or renting a small trailer will be much less expensive than repairing or replacing any of the drivetrain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Catbrown357

Might wanna go camping with my jeep & RTT with kayak for fishing and then go riding on my bike. Why limit yourself to only one recreational option on a week trip?

Maybe my girlfriend prefers long trips in the car. Maybe its a trip with mixed weather forecast. Taking options along On my limited vaca time is smart for me.

But thank you for the information on the axle —though it sounds more like a half-a$$ed guess rather than fact.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Enzo5000–Perfect!

Looks very similar to the others but the addition of a swivel at the hitch makes it functional for the rear!!

Only 600 lb limit instead of 800 for the fixed styles— but that should be ok for the 12GS

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Pterodactyl,

Appreciate the comments and understanding 🤣

The Motow video was a perfect solution.

Neither the Buell nor the 12GS has a wet clutch and that’s where the real problem typically is. Wasn't sure about the shaft drive—the Motow resolves that.

·
Survivor
677 Posts
Pterodactyl,

Appreciate the comments and understanding 🤣

The Motow video was a perfect solution.

Neither the Buell nor the 12GS has a wet clutch and that’s where the real problem typically is. Wasn't sure about the shaft drive—the Motow resolves that.
Great! And by the way I towed a car with all four wheels on the ground from Ohio to CA and a 1950 pick-up coast to coast-twice, with all four wheels on the ground. Cannot see why anyone would say you shouldn’t do so.

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
R12GS is shaft drive. Your Buell is belt with connected sprockets. IMO, if you drag the ass end of a BMW, you are asking for problems. Same reason why you don't tow a car with it's drive wheels on the ground. Why are you hauling your R12GS? Why not ride? That's the point of motorcycles. Especially these. But, I guess Harley owners are used to towing their shit.
Surprised you are willing to put yours under load in gear if you aren't willing to free wheel it. You must be in a real quandary or you just believe anything you're told.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The main thing I would worry about with towing is the transmission output shaft bearing. I dont know if the internals of the transmission fling oil to lube it during normal driving.

Final drive should be non-issue...just wonder if the driveshaft spinning without the rest of the tranny would burn something up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
FYI, not all GSs are a dry clutch. Not sure when but I think the wet heads is when they switched to a wet clutch. A small single bike trailer might also be an option for you.

Welcome!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts