R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my '17 1200GSA yesterday and took it out for a spin this PM. In checking out everything I could think of, I discovered that the the horn sounds like one of Little Bo Peep's lost sheep. What recommendations for a horn that would wake the dead or stir the cell phone texter? Thanks, JD

·
Super Moderator
1,095 Posts
I've got a Denali sitting on my workbench and will probably make it a winter project to install it on it's own dedicated circuit off my PDM60 or a separate automotive style relay. There are lots of "how to's" around on the installation.

I've got the Stebil version of this same horn installed on my KLR and it's capable of causing bowel evacuations in nearby offenders.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have the one piece Denali soundbomb. This is my third motorcycle with it. Sounds like a truck. Its not just the decibals its also the tone. it does not sound like a bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the one piece Denali soundbomb. This is my third motorcycle with it. Sounds like a truck. Its not just the decibals its also the tone. it does not sound like a bike.
I fitted my soundbomb about six weeks ago, and other than a quick test had no reason / occasion to use the horn until the other day.

Going down a road in a 30 mph area, I approach a section with a T junction joining the road (i.e. I have right of way). As I approach, there’s a car wanting to turn into the junction from the road I’m on, so I have my eyes on that car, whilst there’s also a large van looking to come out of the junction so I also have my eyes on that as well.

The guy in the large van slows down to an almost stop about 3 yards from the junction but has his eyes and left arm on the passenger seat, sorting something out. He doesn’t stop though and suddenly moves forward over the remaining 3 yards. I have no idea if he’s moving out or not.

Hit the horn. His head spun round like Linda Blair in the Exorcist, a dropped mouth and his eyes wide open!

All happened in a moment, I could then return my eyes on the car wanting to turn in - he’s staying put, great, on I travel on without breaking speed.

Now, I’ve no idea if van man would have pulled out. But it was a moment that brought home to me the reason why changing your horn should be among the first of the mods you do to a bike: loud horns probably save lives.

---------------

If you buy the ridiculously overpriced canbus connector for bmws that Denali supply then, as others have said, the Denali is an easy plug and play fit. Denali also sell a bracket for the GS for fitting the standard soundbomb between the forks (though it needs to be at about a 20 degree angle to ensure fork clearance).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have found that I use my upgraded horn most often when on the interstate to stop cars from coming into my lane. If they are accelerating to merge it is easy to get into their blind spots. If I still had the stock horn, I know they would never hear it. Always thought the GS had meep meep horns so the sheep in the road when doing adventures in the Andes wouldn't stampede when you need to get past them. All the BMW's seem to have terrible stock horns now. My 2003 RT had a real horn as stock but it had a real tool kit with it too!

·
Registered
376 Posts
The sound bomb requires a bracket and separate relay as it pulls more power than the stock horn. The Mini is plug and play with the wiring harness adapter to the stock wiring harness and I used the stock bracket along with the bracket the mini comes with so no additional bracket needed for the mini.

·
Survivor
843 Posts
SoundBomb installation is very easy if you use an ezCAN. No relay or trigger wire required, no tapping into the wiring harness, old horn stays in place and is functional, and both horns are controlled by the horn button. If you so desire you can have your non-OEM auxiliary lites flash when the horn is used.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Denali : regular or split?

2 models are available: the regular one and the split one (2 part) ... Which one for my 2016?

Thanks
Renald

·
Survivor
843 Posts
2 models are available: the regular one and the split one (2 part) ... Which one for my 2016?

Thanks
Renald
The one that comes joined together. Denali makes a mount that will fit your bike. Just be sure you order the correct mount. DAMHIK

·
Survivor
843 Posts
ezCAN is a device that allows you integrate accessories into the motorcycle’s electrical system (CANBus). It allows you to use the existing switches to things like auxiliary lights, horn and heated gear. It requires no splicing or tapping into the bike’s wiring harness. It replaces things such as fuse blocks and power distribution units and greatly reduces the number of wires needed since relays and on/off switches are not required. It is the cat’s pajamas.

Home - www.hexezcan.com

·
Registered
37 Posts
Pterodactyl -

Twisted Throttle now has an updated "SmartCan" version of the HexCan. I think they both do the same thing, the Smart Can just has a much simplified install, for which they charge a premium. For Example, no ballast on the horn or lights, for the post above. The supplied wiring has really good quality connectors on both ends, no fuss fitting the SmartCan. You do have to use splicing to fit the rear modulating tail light, I'll shrink wrap it. The battery rings are even preattached. The hangers for the Denali D-4 lights and Soundbomb are nice powdercoated steel.

Bottom Line - You Trade Cash for Saved Time and a Cleaner Install.

·
Registered
34 Posts
CANsmart and HexCAN, IIRC, are both developed and made by the same group in SA that produce the GS-911. The CANSmart was offered for the Denali light system.

In my application of aux lights, horn and two other low amp draw accessories the HexCAN works flawlessly and a massive improvement over my previous experience with conventional fuse blocks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve now got the soundbomb, bracket and can-bus connector from nippy Norman’s, all looks straightforward, except I’ve no idea where the can bus socket is located?

Mine is a 2018 GSA

Any ideas please?

·
Registered
35 Posts
CanSMART

If you buy the ridiculously overpriced canbus connector for bmws that Denali supply then, as others have said, the Denali is an easy plug and play fit. Denali also sell a bracket for the GS for fitting the standard soundbomb between the forks (though it needs to be at about a 20 degree angle to ensure fork clearance).
----
It maybe overpriced, but unlike the HexEZCan, it comes with the wiring harness for two sets of light, the horn and the taillight. And it REALLY IS "Plug and Play"

I ordered the SoundBomb. Supposed to be delivered today!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts