R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A discussion on suits the other day jogged my memory of research I did prior to an extended summer run in the SW deserts. Here is an article that explains it all.

http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/IronButt_1002_62-66_Hot.pdf

It's somewhat of a long read but the bottom line for high temperature/low humidity riding is that the wind is not your friend. In fact any air temperature above 93F will seriously affect you body's ability to maintain the proper core temperature (98F) and a 10 degree rise in core temp can kill you. Keep almost all the wind off your body, wear moisture wicking undergarments that aid in evaporative cooling and drink copious amounts of water.

The problem with high temperature/high humidity environments is that you lose evaporative cooling so you're basically in a crab boil. Take great care in that environment and get out of the heat as often as may be required. Some additional venting may help but if it is above 93F and the humidity is such that the air can't absorb much extra moisture, don't count on evaporation to cool your body temp.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For desert conditions (high heat/low humidity), I have used this product.
How long did one soak/cool cycle last? One of the criticisms of this solution is that the benefit is not long lasting. One could always dump a pint of water down the neck line into a wicking shirt or a vest such as this but I found that keeping hot wind out and drinking water on schedule worked fine, even at extreme temps.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Shucks here in INDIA NOTHING WORKS....Heat, dust, smoke and mad traffic.......and the 110F temp with the summer here.....
You feel like throwing your pants and jackets and gloves and riding in an underwear

·
2019 R1250 GSA
129 Posts
How long did one soak/cool cycle last? One of the criticisms of this solution is that the benefit is not long lasting. One could always dump a pint of water down the neck line into a wicking shirt or a vest such as this but I found that keeping hot wind out and drinking water on schedule worked fine, even at extreme temps.
The vest I referenced lasts for 3-4 hours. The special water-absorbing crystals will soak up many times their volume in water and then hold the temperature of the water an extended period of time.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shucks here in INDIA NOTHING WORKS....Heat, dust, smoke and mad traffic.......and the 110F temp with the summer here.....
You feel like throwing your pants and jackets and gloves and riding in an underwear
Now that I quit laughing, read the article. Riding in 110F with the wind on your body, humid or dry, will stroke you out in short order. People wonder about folks in North Africa being covered head to toe in their blast furnace weather. That's why!

My daughter spent a month in Northern India in May on museum business; the people were sweet and the photos beautiful.:cool:

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
588 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Now that I quit laughing, read the article. Riding in 110F with the wind on your body, humid or dry, will stroke you out in short order. People wonder about folks in North Africa being covered head to toe in their blast furnace weather. That's why!

My daughter spent a month in Northern India in May on museum business; the people were sweet and the photos beautiful.:cool:
Yep just read it and Ill say from personal experience....we all used to look down upon camel baks.....last year on the ride to the himalayas ( before you get there the weather you have to cross is 110-115F) I used a camel bak tied over my GSA tank and kept drinking and honestly I was less tired.....I tried telling others but no one would believe me lol
Awesome article once again
thanks Crucian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts