R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Seriously, I am afraid you may have added too much oil now : with the GS on the side stand, there is no way to know the real oil level, certainly not with a cold engine...

Running the engine with an excess oil quantity in the carter may damage it very seriously.

Best would be to drain the added quantity of oil before ever starting the engine, then to let it warm up and then check the oil level, the way I described it earlier on.

The liquid cooled boxers hardly burn any oil and therefor the chances that you overfilled it now are very real.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I don't use the center stand because I have yet to master getting it up on the stand. Knowing this, I asked over at bmwmoa forum for advice. Two well known master bmw mechanics stated if I can see oil in the sight glass on the side stand cold, it can be within a 1/2 quart high or low [ usually low if the correct amount of oil was used to begin with ] and can be ridden without concern.

What I learned on my 8K mile trip 18 months ago. Pulled into the gas pump at the Yukon river on the Dalton and the oil lamp indicator came on. Checked the sight glass on center stand, no oil visible. I put a quart of oil in, indicator went out upon restart. Next morning, checked sight glass cold, oil was visible, nearly at the top mark on the sight glass. Perfect, now I knew in 4K hard miles to the river, mine uses about a quart of oil.

I check the sight glass with cold engine before starting bike. If I can see oil in the sight glass, I'm good to go. If not, both master mechanics said to add 1/2 quart and go ride. So that's what I do. I asked my own mechanic about this and what I was told, he said they were spot on. Cold on side stand, oil in sight glass, good to go. If not, add a 1/2 quart and go ride it. :cool:
I have just checked the oil level on my GS. Engine cold, on side stand. Oil in sight glass barely showing. Added 300ml (nearly 1/3 of a US quart) of oil. Now with the bike in a upright position the oil level is 3/4 up the sight glass. Next time I go for a ride I will do an 'official' hot oil level reading and see how it compares.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Seriously, I am afraid you may have added too much oil now : with the GS on the side stand, there is no way to know the real oil level, certainly not with a cold engine...

Running the engine with an excess oil quantity in the carter may damage it very seriously.

Best would be to drain the added quantity of oil before ever starting the engine, then to let it warm up and then check the oil level, the way I described it earlier on.

The liquid cooled boxers hardly burn any oil and therefor the chances that you overfilled it now are very real.
OK! Taken your advise. Removed the 300ml I added. Next time the engine is up to temperature I will go through the correct procedure and see what the dash display shows - 'dashes', 'OK' or 'LOW' and react accordingly. I suspect that if you can see any oil in the sight glass with the bike upright, hot or cold, the engine won't go 'BANG' anytime soon.

Thanks for everybody's views on this basic but confusing issue.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
OK! Taken your advise. Removed the 300ml I added. Next time the engine is up to temperature I will go through the correct procedure and see what the dash display shows - 'dashes', 'OK' or 'LOW' and react accordingly. I suspect that if you can see any oil in the sight glass with the bike upright, hot or cold, the engine won't go 'BANG' anytime soon.

Thanks for everybody's views on this basic but confusing issue.
Just been for a ride on the GS. After about 20 miles I stopped, no brakes, bike upright, engine ticking over. Started counting. Got to 18 and the 'oil can' on the display turned green and OK appeared. Had a coffee and before starting off again looked at the sight glass with the bike on the centre stand. The level was about 3/4 up the glass. Perfect! Did the test later on in the day and I just had to count to 13! Interestingly OK remains on until you turn off the ignition. Three dashes appear the next time you turn on the ignition.

PS. Glad I removed the 300ml I added. I think the crankcase would have been over full. Thanks.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts