R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I bought my 2014GS used it has all the touring package, ESA, ASC and ride pro options, but I don't know if it has gear shift assist on it or not. Is there anyway you can tell by looking at the bike? I did buy this from dealer so I don't know the former owner. Previous owner did bought the bike fully loaded and put more frackles then miles. I am loving the bike I just hope he or she put the gear shift assist.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi All
I bought my 2014GS used it has all the touring package, ESA, ASC and ride pro options, but I don't know if it has gear shift assist on it or not. Is there anyway you can tell by looking at the bike? I did buy this from dealer so I don't know the former owner. Previous owner did bought the bike fully loaded and put more frackles then miles. I am loving the bike I just hope he or she put the gear shift assist.
I drove a Demo 2015 GSAW with gear shift pro and did not really think it's worth the money!
I really do not see very much of an advantage to having it.
Why would you want it?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I drove a Demo 2015 GSAW with gear shift pro and did not really think it's worth the money!
Why would you want it?
Because some of us absolutely love it. The automatic blipping of the throttle on clutch less downshifts works amazingly well and clutchless up shifts are much faster and smoother than my best manual efforts. Apart from that it really doesn't cost much on an already expensive bike.

·
Not that senior.
690 Posts
Why would you want it?

Obviously doesn't ride off road!
That's the advantage.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I only ride off road and there is no need at all for gear shift assist.

Waste of money.

A long time ago when I was racing Husqvarna motorcycles they one year handed me a 370 automatic. I was very happy to get back to a real transmission the year after!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I really like mine especially getting on a freeway on ramp. Rarely do I use it to down shift. It was installed on the bike when I bought it. Would I pay to have it added, probably not.
Steve

·
2015 R1200GS
12 Posts
I have just purchased a 2015 demo with GSA fitted. Initially I thought it a waste of time having never had anything like it. BUT it works very well in lots of circumstances. Sneaking around in traffic for one, gentle acceleration from first changing up at maybe 2500-3000 rpm achieves flawless and smooth changes. No lurches or crashes and bangs from the gearbox, good for a pillion as well. It is taking some practice to get used to though. Very handy in tight twisties going up and down 2nd to 3rd, and then same thing dawdling along on a loose gravelled track with lots of sharp left rights.

Would I order it on a new bike after my short experience with it, yep without a doubt. A month ago I thought them on a bike like a GS to be a gimmick, not know though.

Cheers, Simmo

·
Registered
40 Posts
Using the clutch always gives a smooth ride if you know what you are doing.
Yes I have to agree with you!
I may be OK for someone that only rides one bike.
But it's a instinct thing! You automatically go for the clutch if
You have riden very much!
It's just hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am an old dog. Smoother without clutch. Try it.
Simmo[/QUOT

Glad you like it. Personally I have no interest in trying it. I don't have an issue with using the clutch. On Tarmac or in tight rocky off road terrain. Same as I have no interest in an automatic gear box, or linked ABS brakes, traction control and other stuff that does not belong off road.

If I was interested in riding on the track with a proper track bike that would be another story. I would really like it for that purpose.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I've been riding for a looonnnggg time, but I've found sometimes ripping through the gears there's a reluctance for the bike to shift to the next gear on my 2014 GS1200. Even my 1974 Norton drops into the next gear under steam!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I now have 1300 miles on my 2016 r1200gs triple black so I've had some time with the shift assist on this new bike. This after 30 plus years of riding without such new fangled gizmo type stuff.

My verdict: where have you been all my life! Heres the deal, an automatic transmission on a bike would change greatly how we use the clutch for improved slow speed control and in so many off road situations, so for me that's out, but... This is no where near that. The clutch is still there for all situations where it is of benefit, however running up through the gears at lightning speed and smoothly jamming down through them in corner approach is so addictive and fun that anything else seems sluggish and inferior now.

The thing is I think a lot of guys go and try the shift assist on a test ride without really knowing how the system works and they come away with mixed reviews. It's so simple but not completely intuitive at first and so it takes a bit of using it to realy feel the benefit. When shifting up you have to have the throttle open and not let off to shift up, you don't have to be on it hard but the throttle HAS to be open some for it to work right, then it's like butter especially 2nd gear up through 6. Next downshifting you HAVE to have the throttle completely closed at the moment you downshift. The computer automatically bumps the throttle to the perfect rpm and the downshift is instantaneous and sounds and feels really cool.

The average really good rider takes about 300 milliseconds to shift gears using the clutch. The shift assist pro does it in 50 milliseconds so you be the judge. Combine that with the smooth torque the motor puts out and the result is truly epic. I would not have believed It before owning this bike but now I'm drinking the cool aid. NO apologies !

·
Registered
749 Posts
I now have 1300 miles on my 2016 r1200gs triple black so I've had some time with the shift assist on this new bike. This after 30 plus years of riding without such new fangled gizmo type stuff.

My verdict: where have you been all my life! Heres the deal, an automatic transmission on a bike would change greatly how we use the clutch for improved slow speed control and in so many off road situations, so for me that's out, but... This is no where near that. The clutch is still there for all situations where it is of benefit, however running up through the gears at lightning speed and smoothly jamming down through them in corner approach is so addictive and fun that anything else seems sluggish and inferior now.

The thing is I think a lot of guys go and try the shift assist on a test ride without really knowing how the system works and they come away with mixed reviews. It's so simple but not completely intuitive at first and so it takes a bit of using it to realy feel the benefit. When shifting up you have to have the throttle open and not let off to shift up, you don't have to be on it hard but the throttle HAS to be open some for it to work right, then it's like butter especially 2nd gear up through 6. Next downshifting you HAVE to have the throttle completely closed at the moment you downshift. The computer automatically bumps the throttle to the perfect rpm and the downshift is instantaneous and sounds and feels really cool.

The average really good rider takes about 300 milliseconds to shift gears using the clutch. The shift assist pro does it in 50 milliseconds so you be the judge. Combine that with the smooth torque the motor puts out and the result is truly epic. I would not have believed It before owning this bike but now I'm drinking the cool aid. NO apologies !
I'm all for the upshift part, but for down shift I often times just pull in the clutch without backing off the throttle and shift. Goes into gear smoothly and power down the road. That's on a standard shifting GS.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The gear shift pro downshift is the best part. The way it matches the revs for you is just magic. Sure you can do it yourself but I'm convinced the bike does a smoother and faster job of it without the clutch. I've ridden many bikes over the last 40 years over all sorts of roads and dirt tracks so I feel I have a fair amount of experience.

Seems to me that most people with it like and and many without think it is a bad idea - what a surprise. They said the same thing about cars when most people were riding horses. Do you also miss the advance/retard levers that bikes used to have? Many people also hated ABS when it came out saying it was a terrible thing to out in bikes. Now it is compulsory in Europe because it saves so many lives.

Have I just stirred a hornets nest?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts