R1200GS Forum banner

How do you put your GS to use?

• It's a fantastic street bike that nearly never leaves the pavement.

• I'm not afraid to take the occasional unpaved road, but not on purpose.

• I will actually plan a ride that will use some groomed forest roads.

• My GS is a real 50:50 bike that can spend as much time off the pavement as on.

• Single tracks fear me and enduros bow down before me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's another thread where we've been discussing what improvements we're looking for in the next generation flagship ADV bike from BMW. Lighter weight, more power, more tech, ... it's all good but your priorities would depend somewhat on how you use your bike. Let's find out how all the cool kids here are actually using their current GS.

Your votes are anonymous.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Actually few my criteries play a role to choice this bike. One of them was capability for off-road (intentionally use twice per month when weather is dry), skid plate, torque of engine and load capacity (for roads). Even with pilion there is no significant change in attitude.
As heavy is the bike as more comfortable is.

·
Super Moderator
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My use has changed a bit over time. When I first got it, my goal was to take it anywhere I would have taken my KLR650 (which was some pretty gnarly places). These days it's been BDR type rides and long road trips - both of which it does with equal capability.

·
Registered
2015 GSA
30 Posts
The 2nd option happened to me twice on my last ride.
1st time I took a short cut that turned out to be gravel...No big deal.
2nd time I was exploring the ridgeline between Rt220 & S. Fork Rd/ Sweedlin Valley Rd, south of Petersburg WV.
I took Siple Mountain Rd which is part of the MABDR & paved, then my plan was to checkout Greenawalt Gap RD if it was paved. My rear tire is just about down to the wear bars & I didn't want to chance a piece of gravel cutting it, that happened to my last rear tire with the same amount of rubber left.
Anyway Greenawalt Gap was paved...for the 1st 10 minutes, the next 25 minutes were gravel with 2 or 3 uphill switchbacks & some pretty steep up & down. It's a powerline access Rd.
I had no issues & I'd do it again with a fresh tire.

·
Registered
2020 R1250GS
29 Posts
The GS is my first "adventure" bike. I'm coming from the sport bikes word, did a lot of trackdays, even taught track riding. Turning fifty I wanted a comfy ride for the wife and I, we always tour a few weeks in the summer and the Ninja1000 was getting a bit rough.

But I first started to look into GSs when came the road biased version of the 1200, I think it was in 2013 or so. And reviews of the 1250 kind sold me. I did some math and decided I could afford a new GS so I found a new 2020 over the winter and here am I.

But I'm looking a lot into getting off road... eventually. I was never afraid of a dirt road, even on sport bikes. I'm replacing the Bridgestone A41s for 100% road for the trip coming next month during our vacation but swapping tires is a quicky.

We'll see where the bike leads me.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I currently have 3 GS's and a GSA. Don't take them off road (for the record I don't consider groomed gravel fire break roads as being "off-road") as they are too heavy. I hated taking my DR650 off road and it was easily 100lbs lighter but was still too heavy.

The GS series bike for me is just what it is and Adventure Bike. Adventure can be going to the grocery store for a box of crackers or across the country to dip you toe in the other ocean and anywhere in between.

·
Super Moderator
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Going to the BMW Performance Center in Greer SC and doing the 2 day off-road course will absolutely change your mind about the capabilities of the big bike off road. They'll teach that it's not a dirt bike so you can't ride it like one (normally) but with the right technique, it can be ridden just about anywhere. A few years ago I would have checked the single track choice in the poll and rode a lot of it - and have the scars to prove it :) But these days, I'm solidly a 50:50 guy with my GS being my preferred weapon for attacking BDRs and dual sport rides.

Reactions: mikec

·
Super Moderator
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had no issues & I'd do it again with a fresh tire.
Bill you wear out tires faster then I do! It makes me jealous of where you live and how easy it is for you to jump off into some of the best places in the mid-Atlantic to ride.

·
Super Moderator
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
2015 GSA
30 Posts
Bill you wear out tires faster then I do! It makes me jealous of where you live and how easy it is for you to jump off into some of the best places in the mid-Atlantic to ride.
When are you coming out this way so I can show you around?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Broken bones have a way of making one leery of venturing beyond ones comfort zones.
I did $30,000 worth of damage to my right foot 7/10ths of a mile from home on a curve I;ve rounded 1000 times before. I thing it was the too comfortable zone I was in???

·
Super Moderator
1,152 Posts
I did $30,000 worth of damage to my right foot 7/10ths of a mile from home on a curve I;ve rounded 1000 times before. I thing it was the too comfortable zone I was in???
Could be. Just don't want to get a punchcard with my Orthopedic Surgeon.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Going to the BMW Performance Center in Greer SC and doing the 2 day off-road course will absolutely change your mind about the capabilities of the big bike off road. They'll teach that it's not a dirt bike so you can't ride it like one (normally) but with the right technique, it can be ridden just about anywhere. A few years ago I would have checked the single track choice in the poll and rode a lot of it - and have the scars to prove it :) But these days, I'm solidly a 50:50 guy with my GS being my preferred weapon for attacking BDRs and dual sport rides.
No doubt the GS can perform and has capabilities way beyond mine. I just have no desire to take is off-road because of the weight.

Ive been on DS rides where ounces feel like pounds and pounds like tons. I was going n my DR650 and was not having pounding it through the rocks and up/down the mountain look. Several of the guys on lightweight Euros as they easily glided past me commented on how they would not take such a heavy beast like the DR where I was.

I'm glad I finished the ride but a portly bike sapped all the fun out of it.

·
Super Moderator
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With only 28 responses, it's pretty evenly split: roughly 46% stay on the pavement and 54% are intentionally used for getting the tires dirty. Hopefully we'll get more people weighing in over time to get a representative view of how a GS is used in the wild.

Reactions: Krons

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
With only 28 responses, it's pretty evenly split: roughly 46% stay on the pavement and 54% are intentionally used for getting the tires dirty. Hopefully we'll get more people weighing in over time to get a representative view of how a GS is used in the wild.
You also nee do a poll what do you consider off-roading. For some its dirt/gravel roads where you can maintain highway speeds for other its barely visible 4" wide single track or anywhere in between.

·
Super Moderator
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You also nee do a poll what do you consider off-roading. For some its dirt/gravel roads where you can maintain highway speeds for other its barely visible 4" wide single track or anywhere in between.
I attempted to incorporate that distinction in the wording of the choices but maybe didn't go far enough? I was also resisting the urge to put more choices with finer distinctions between them.

Do you actually plan rides that go off the pavement? That seems obvious enough.

Do you ride 50:50? My thought is that if someone spends roughly half the time off the pavement then they're also comfortable in more challenging forest road situations such as two track or rutted and rocky forest roads.

And finally, single track is covered by the choices.

The main bit information I thought we might all be seeking is who uses it as a really great and capable street bike vs. will get off the pavement and, in general, what your approach to off-pavement riding might be.

·
Super Moderator
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When are you coming out this way so I can show you around?
That looks like it won't be until September at the rate that my schedule is being committed with family stuff. We should put something on the calendar for a fall ride and get some of the local gang together!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts