R1200GS Forum banner

How do you put your GS to use?

• It's a fantastic street bike that nearly never leaves the pavement.

• I'm not afraid to take the occasional unpaved road, but not on purpose.

• I will actually plan a ride that will use some groomed forest roads.

• My GS is a real 50:50 bike that can spend as much time off the pavement as on.

• Single tracks fear me and enduros bow down before me.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I always felt like it was harder to pick up my KLR because it laid down flat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
No doubt the GS can perform and has capabilities way beyond mine. I just have no desire to take is off-road because of the weight.

Ive been on DS rides where ounces feel like pounds and pounds like tons. I was going n my DR650 and was not having pounding it through the rocks and up/down the mountain look. Several of the guys on lightweight Euros as they easily glided past me commented on how they would not take such a heavy beast like the DR where I was.

I'm glad I finished the ride but a portly bike sapped all the fun out of it.
Great response. Horses for courses I believe the phrase is.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just got my little toe in the water with this GS1200. Coming to it was a little strange as I didn't buy it or go looking for one. I was perfectly happy riding my Ducati ST3 and my Velocette from bygone days and I thought my stable was complete. But a very dear friend asked me if I was interested in his bike which he got new and hardly rode[Only 5000K's on the clock.]. I predictably told him I couldn't afford it. He says'I'll sell it to you for a dollar".
OK so then I responded that I could not accept such wanton generosity so I would build him a $10K guitar as a trade.
[Gratuitous mention www.kellawayguitars.com]
So that's still in the making and I have accepted delivery of the bike and managed to get it running sweetly after a fudged up fuel tank and pump. I found a replacement from exactly the right year because the sludge that had formed in there after several years sitting idle was unbelievable.
Anyway that's the back story so now I'm riding this machine. At first it was way too high in the seat so I lowered it by remaking the mount bracket and then sculpting the foam from the seat. I can now sit with one foot flat and the other heel about a half inch off on level ground so I can live with that. I'm 5'9".
I removed the heavy screen he had and that was the beginning of the love affair. I love the wind in my face.
This thing just cruises, it's so agile, it's as fast as I want, on a par with my ST3, but the sitting position is so much more relaxing.
I take it to town which is a half hour along a mixture of tar with a lot of bad potholes to avoid. I ride home the long way via some much worse roads but with some lovely sweeping stretches at higher speeds.
My riding has never included the big dirt but I don't mind if I have to go down a gravel road. I was never into dirt riding and I'm too old and fragile to learn at 68. I don't want to drop the bike and I would have a lot of trouble standing it up if I did, particularly as no doubt I would be broken in some way if that had occurred.
The last time I fell off I hit a big fat Walleroo riding my Moto Guzzi California with the big screen. The bike went down with a busted screen, I hit the road and busted my arm , the walleroo looked a bit offended and hopped away to greener pastures.
I lived up a dirt road with 5 creek crossings and 12K of dirt. The Guzzi did that fine, but the wildlife was the killer. I don't do that now. I was fortunate to be able to move. The Northern Rivers of NSW has a wide selection of really nice riding roads , some of which in Lismore Shire are badly potholed. Plus there are a few gravel ones remaining. I feel that this Beemer is going to effortlessly get me wherever I want to go on these roads and I'm loving it. I'll also take it interstate at times for fun or other reasons. It's that kind of bike.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Beautiful workmanship on the guitars - and I'm glad you're enjoying the bike.
Thankyou. I'll dare to post a picture when I finish the actual guitar that will be payment for the GS. It's a departure from my usual style, concert classicals, as it's a carved Jazz guitar in the style of Benedetto I think a nice shot with it leaning against the Beemer would be the thing. I've made guitars for my friend in the past, that was how we met in the 70's. This one will be very special. I'm enjoying making it almost as much as riding the bike.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts