R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
967 Posts
43 freaking miles and I love the color. Does that qualify for brand new?
Previous owner must've lived close to Starbucks.

Did you get the story on it...guessing it was a leftover bike? Kinda surprised it is still around with that low of miles given the Covid situation sold a lot of ADV and dualsport bikes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

My bike is in Oklahoma and has to make a journey of about 2,000’ish miles to NJ.

I would love to fly out and ride it home however, my body is a little busted up. I need to find a reliable bike transporter to bring my baby home.
I considered having a bike shipped and got multiple quotes. UShip.com came through with the lowest quotes by far, especially after waiting a day or two. The range was stunning, from $300 to $1800 for a distance about 9 hours away. Ended up finding a bike locally so I don’t know how well the $300 transport would have turned out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Previous owner must've lived close to Starbucks.

Did you get the story on it...guessing it was a leftover bike? Kinda surprised it is still around with that low of miles given the Covid situation sold a lot of ADV and dualsport bikes.
Reading that first line, I lost it! You got a good laugh out of me. Lord knows we can all use one more often than not.

Well, the story I got from the dealer goes like this. The first owner, a gentleman purchased the bike however he had an orthopedic issue that required surgery. After his procedure the post op recovery didn’t go as well as he hoped. I feel for the man. Not being certain that he could comfortably ride the bike, the gentleman traded in his GSA for a 4-wheel adventure vehicle. Fun vehicle for sure. Good for him, turning lemons into lemonade. I like his spirit.

Reading between the lines, I strongly suspect this GSA was his dream bike. He sure as heck farkled the heck out of it. I bet he installed all the accessories while recovering. Not only do I sympathize but I can relate to his predicament.

I was originally shopping for an S1000RR but after having a seat on it at the dealer, I realized that ship has sailed. The positioning on the bike felt like a torture rack. Then I got to thinking about what would be my best option for a bike that I could own forever. The light in my head turned on. Get the GSA, the do all machine. I‘m sure the 1250 is a fine motor but I prefer a simpler 1200 boxer. The 1250 is a new motor and might have teething problems.

So now I’m on the hunt for the last model year 1200 because it was equipped with the new TFT display screen. I searched for the lowest mileage 2018 GSA and this is what I found. I knew at first glance this was my bike. Had to dig a little deeper into my pocket than I originally planned on but then I thought, you get what you pay for. These GS/GSA bikes don’t enjoy its worldwide success by chance. I was posed with a now or never decision to buy such a low mileage 2018 that just happen to have nearly every imaginable farkle know to man. I doubt such an opportunity would present itself again so I jumped in and the waters fine. If I didn’t buy this bike I’m certain it would‘ve haunted me forever.

So that’s the story.

·
Super Moderator
967 Posts
Reading that first line, I lost it! You got a good laugh out of me. Lord knows we can all use one more often than not.

Well, the story I got from the dealer goes like this. The first owner, a gentleman purchased the bike however he had an orthopedic issue that required surgery. After his procedure the post op recovery didn’t go as well as he hoped. I feel for the man. Not being certain that he could comfortably ride the bike, the gentleman traded in his GSA for a 4-wheel adventure vehicle. Fun vehicle for sure. Good for him, turning lemons into lemonade. I like his spirit.

Reading between the lines, I strongly suspect this GSA was his dream bike. He sure as heck farkled the heck out of it. I bet he installed all the accessories while recovering. Not only do I sympathize but I can relate to his predicament.

I was originally shopping for an S1000RR but after having a seat on it at the dealer, I realized that ship has sailed. The positioning on the bike felt like a torture rack. Then I got to thinking about what would be my best option for a bike that I could own forever. The light in my head turned on. Get the GSA, the do all machine. I‘m sure the 1250 is a fine motor but I prefer a simpler 1200 boxer. The 1250 is a new motor and might have teething problems.

So now I’m on the hunt for the last model year 1200 because it was equipped with the new TFT display screen. I searched for the lowest mileage 2018 GSA and this is what I found. I knew at first glance this was my bike. Had to dig a little deeper into my pocket than I originally planned on but then I thought, you get what you pay for. These GS/GSA bikes don’t enjoy its worldwide success by chance. I was posed with a now or never decision to buy such a low mileage 2018 that just happen to have nearly every imaginable farkle know to man. I doubt such an opportunity would present itself again so I jumped in and the waters fine. If I didn’t buy this bike I’m certain it would‘ve haunted me forever.

So that’s the story.
I think my sport bike days are over too, doubt my knees would take it. Even sat on an RT last year and felt cramped. Pondered adding a sport bike to the stable but then decide to just ride the GSA harder lol.

One item to consider on your bike is extended warranty. A few threads on that if you search, given BMW repair costs it is worth considering. Guys speak highly of Rpm One.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
My sport bike days are over, too. I was really disappointed that the S1000RR was so cramped. The Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 is one sweet bike. The ergonomics are spot on for me. A major turn off was an engine issue. Some of those bikes suffered from bad valve guides that made the exhaust valves decrease its valve clearance gap. Sorry, not for me.

I have to be honest, the GSA is a sharp looking bike. Gotta ride what you love. The first time I rode a GSA, I was very impressed by its low speed balance. Making full lock turns was a breeze. Not bad for being on a bike for less than minute. I just knew by a very brief ride that it was a special bike. And here I am, waiting for that one bike that I’ve always wanted to own. The whole purchase experience is also quite a story. I have a good vibe about this purchase.

Also, I never even thought about an extended warranty. Thanks for the advice. I’m not sure when the factory warranty runs out but I wouldn’t want a lapse in coverage.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts