R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I managed the blow up the powerlet fuse (5A according to manual).

I couldn't find any paragraph in the manual about location of the fuse box on R1200GSA 2009.

Where is the fuse box located?

I connected a 12v compressor to powerlet and I believe the 5A fuse specified in the book for powerlet is too small for my compressor.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
There is no physical fuse. The ZFE monitors current use by the accessory socket and turns the socket off -- blowing a virtual fuse -- when the current is too high. Next time you start the bike you will again have current to the socket. It's even possible that after some amount of time the ZFE will test the current use by the socket by enabling it on its own.. not sure about that.

So cycle power and you'll have your accessory socket working again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for the prompt answer Marc.

I just ordered a powerlet connector (female) to put near the existing one, with an inline fuse, straight to the battery.
That will do it, but in order to avoid future problems with electrical accesories, many owners of Canbus bikes wire in an auxillary fuse block directly to the battery, the Centech AP-1 is a great choice. I use a fuse and relay coming off the battery, triggered by the switched power wire to your factory socket. Lots written about this in forums and a pretty straightforward do-it-yourself job. Good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did it without searching the forums.

6 way fuse box, 30A relay that is triggered by red wire from can bus connector (Ignition ON), 20A internal fuse, and another 15A fuse exactly near battery.

I hooked up GPS and the new Powerlet. Everything works like a charm :)

Costs? Approx 15$.
Time? 2 hours because was the first one
Fun? Oh yeah.:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
more fuse box help

I'm also looking for the fuse box on my 2009 r1200gs adventure. I need to pull the fuse for my headlight and tail light because I'm doing track day at Loudon's race track in NH and a requirement is to pull those fuses. Can anyone help out?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Read post #2, above. There is no fusebox. There are no fuses to pull. (OK, there are a few fuses for aux lighting lights in the Adv model but those lights have an on/off switch.).

Headlight can be turned off with the magic sequence described at http://www.r1200gs.info/misc/tricks.html (assuming it still works for '09 models).

I don't know if that also turns off the tail light. If it doesn't you can pull the bulb. The light stays off until the next time you switch the ignition on. Remember to do it every time you start the bike/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. Any chance you could share a picture of your setup? I have a 2007 and am hoping to do the same thing you did. Thanks for any help!

I did it without searching the forums.

6 way fuse box, 30A relay that is triggered by red wire from can bus connector (Ignition ON), 20A internal fuse, and another 15A fuse exactly near battery.

I hooked up GPS and the new Powerlet. Everything works like a charm :)

Costs? Approx 15$.
Time? 2 hours because was the first one
Fun? Oh yeah.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts