70 Posts
Congrats! Any issues in the 100?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats! Any issues in the 100?
1. Engine start button on right handlebar got sticky. Replaced. Warranty

2. At around 62k miles, something plastic broke in the bowels of the engine (tensioner?). Covered thru EXTENDED warranty. Due to the screw-up at the service center, they dried out my clutch, so got new clutch, new basket (not sure what that is), water pump, alternator. They changed the alternator and water pump since they had the whole engine open. Again, 100% covered under EXTENDED warranty.

3. The clamp thingies on the forks, from recall

4. 1 battery, changed 6 months ago

5. 2 blown fork seals. Left covered under fork clamp recall fix. Right I need to cover. Just happened

6. Tires! I'm using the k70 scouts. I'm getting about 16k+ miles per set on good asphalt. My last set I got 22k! I kid you not.

7. I've got panniers, top box etc. When commuting, I use my topbox. Else naked. I rarely use my hard touratech panniers (zega pros). But, I do use the pannier frame as lash down points.

8. I have Clearwater Erica's up front, and Billie on rear. This in my opinion is the best accessory. People SEE me.

9. At the end of the day, I've had zero issues with the bike. For example, I just had the 100k service done at the dealer. I do the "normal" service myself, but for whatever reason, I don't want to screw up the valves, so I take it in for that. So, after 100k, my valves are still within spec.

More soon...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. Engine start button on right handlebar got sticky. Replaced. Warranty

2. At around 62k miles, something plastic broke in the bowels of the engine (tensioner?). Covered thru EXTENDED warranty. Due to the screw-up at the service center, they dried out my clutch, so got new clutch, new basket (not sure what that is), water pump, alternator. They changed the alternator and water pump since they had the whole engine open. Again, 100% covered under EXTENDED warranty.

3. The clamp thingies on the forks, from recall

4. 1 battery, changed 6 months ago

5. 2 blown fork seals. Left covered under fork clamp recall fix. Right I need to cover. Just happened

6. Tires! I'm using the k70 scouts. I'm getting about 16k+ miles per set on good asphalt. My last set I got 22k! I kid you not.

7. I've got panniers, top box etc. When commuting, I use my topbox. Else naked. I rarely use my hard touratech panniers (zega pros). But, I do use the pannier frame as lash down points.

8. I have Clearwater Erica's up front, and Billie on rear. This in my opinion is the best accessory. People SEE me.

9. At the end of the day, I've had zero issues with the bike. For example, I just had the 100k service done at the dealer. I do the "normal" service myself, but for whatever reason, I don't want to screw up the valves, so I take it in for that. So, after 100k, my valves are still within spec.

More soon...
10. I do a daily commute 80 miles round trip. I pretty much stay at 70MPH. My gas consumption has not changed. I'm having a major brain fart and cannot recall my "normal" mpg. But it has not changed. I'm going to say 43mpg for my mostly flat, asphalt commute, at 70MPH. I'll update once I get physically up (couch patato mode active) and look at bike.

11. The bike loves rain. There is something freaking awesome about riding into the rain, the purr of the engine, the rain hitting your body, the rain hitting the helmet, then accelerating like there's nothing there. I ride my bike 100% for my commute, and 99% at home...1% being I need to use car for something). I've ridden the bike since 2015, 5 winters. Many many really heavy ocean rain storms. Never ever EVER an issue with the bike. Nothing electrical, physical etc failed... Now my rain suit, that's another story! In my experience, this bike is weatherized.

12. About weatherized, the only part showing rust, and I'm talking very little, but there, are on the metal rods on the front area above turn signals. They're kind of hidden, but I do see them. Apart from that, nothing.

13. Ok, I lied about #12. The IGNITION button (keyless ride) is showing signs of cracking. I've been putting armor-all on it to help. But heads up. Btw, at work, the bikes 100% outside in the elements

14. The bike loves heat! I have driven this bike 80mph+ for over 4 hours straight in 115f, no issue with temperatures. The liquid cooling really works

15. I've dropped the bike 6 times (5 not moving/lost balance, 1 popped clutch then stalled)

16. Clothing. Ok, so I commute. I wear suit and tie. I wear the Aerostich c3 (?) one piece suit. I tell you. There is nothing as cool as driving to a meeting; meeting people; pulling up on the bike (rain or shine!); and unzipping out of the riding suit, into a perfectly clean, 2 or 3 piece suit with tie etc. There is zero excuse not to wear protection...

17. As I mentioned before, I rarely use the panniers (touratech zega pro), but, I use the pannier "frame", crap, more brain farts. You know, the frame where you mount the panniers to. I use them to lash everything! Even if you don't want panniers, I we recommend the "frame" for lashing etc

Ooops, wife giving me stink eye, gotta go!

Kam

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks Kam

·
Super Moderator
712 Posts
In my experience (long in the past) Armor-all is pretty bad for causing the sun damage you're trying to protect from. I keep things clean and if my bike was sitting out in the sun everyday in the parking lot at work, I'd probably throw my Aerostich cover on it. Problem solved.

Show us some photos of this mighty stead that's carried you so far!

·
Avid Motorcyclist
23 Posts
Wow, well done Kam!

Although I have the previous generation GS is gives me comfort that my bike can easily last as long as my riding conditions are very similar to yours (100 mile per day commute, paved road at 70mph, no car - commute rain or shine).

I also smiled when I read point 6, where you did 22k miles on a set of tyres. Not so long ago I was told the 33k km on a set of Mitas E07+ was a "ridiculous claim". This just goes to show that under the right circumstances it is possible.

Good luck with the next 100k. (y)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In my experience (long in the past) Armor-all is pretty bad for causing the sun damage you're trying to protect from. I keep things clean and if my bike was sitting out in the sun everyday in the parking lot at work, I'd probably throw my Aerostich cover on it. Problem solved.

Show us some photos of this mighty stead that's carried you so far!
Really nothing new to show, pretty much stock 2015 with "normal" upgrades...

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts