R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Avid Motorcyclist
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am from South Africa and we are in the process of applying to permanently immigrate from South Africa to Victoria, Australia. If we are successful and are granted visas we should be leaving South Africa in the next 18 months for good.

Now this is where I need some advise, I am considering importing my 2010 R1200GS into Victoria, Australia. My thinking is that in 18 months time the bike will have roughly 100000 km open road commuting kilometers on it, what would make more sense financially; to sell it and buy another one in Australia, or to import it?

Luckily the ZAR to AUD is roughly 10:1. So for the sake of comparison I will speak of all amounts in AUD.

In 18 months I will roughly owe $7200. I will probably be able to sell it out of hand for $6000 in South Africa due to the high mileage. I had a look at the Australian 2nd hand market and they go for between $10000 and $12000 for a similar model.

What is the estimated cost to import a bike into Victoria, Australia?
How much red tape is there? Is it worth the frustration?

The reason why I am considering importing is because I know the history of my bike and the mileage is gentle open road commuting mileage (hence 35000km on a set of Mitas E-07).

Please share your thoughts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Have you looked on bikesales.com.au? You have to do the math as far as cost of freight etc. Check out the govt website on import details, just google importing vehicles into Australia.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Not that senior.
692 Posts
buy mine

I have a 2010 GS with 110000 km on it.
plenty of aftermarket gear on it.

If you pay more than 8 to 9 grand for a 2010, you are paying too much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did not emigrate to OZ but I did ship my bike from SLO to NZ, NZ to OZ, OZ to SLO.
You have to pay duties and taxes on the bike. (I brought it in on ATA carnet)
Shipping costs (maybe not much if you are shipping it in your own container) PLUS the following... administration fees and cleaning of the bike (they did not even blow on mine, yet the $400.00 dollar charge was unjustifiably invoiced, with no recourse). So $1,350.00 min. plus 10% HST tax plus duty and aggravation which I will describe in a later post..Three week quarantine. If you only get 6k for it at home then your all in cost of the bike should be around 9k landed provided that your shipping cost is no more than $1000.00. I don't think you can get what you have for 9k tax in..
But considering what I went through I would gladly forfeit 2k.

Before importing a road vehicle, consider the costs of importation such as:

• freight and insurance (for the transport of the goods to Australia)
  • customs duties, GST and LCT
  • storage and delivery charges
  • logistics service provider charges
  • customs brokers' charges
  • import processing charges
  • steam cleaning for biosecurity $400.00 WTF
  • wharf and transport charges
  • costs to have your vehicle meet State or Territory registration and insurance requirements.

Best,
V

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not worth importing your motorbike over. Plenty of good GS on sale locally. Sell yours there, buy one once you land here. Check Bikesales, join some of the GS FB groups in Aus and you can easily source one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts