R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Im looking to get my hands on a used GS here in the next few months and I'm looking for some advice. I think I've narrowed my search down to 2014-2017. The reason I've excluded 2013 is because I love the LED headlight look and from what I have found, it looks like that was added in 2014, please correct me if wrong. I also don't want anything newer then say '17 because I'm really not trying to spend more than $15k. I'm primarily looking at the GS and not super interested in the GSA, I can appreciate all the added benefits but can't justify the extra cost. I'd rather add what's missing later on...if I need it.

Any and all advice is much appreciated.

For some added info, my current bike is a 2018 MT-09 which is great. I just want something more capable that doesn't beat me up at highway speeds. 35 highway miles on the MT makes for an annoying commute.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Hey guys,
Im looking to get my hands on a used GS here in the next few months and I'm looking for some advice. I think I've narrowed my search down to 2014-2017. The reason I've excluded 2013 is because I love the LED headlight look and from what I have found, it looks like that was added in 2014, please correct me if wrong. I also don't want anything newer then say '17 because I'm really not trying to spend more than $15k. I'm primarily looking at the GS and not super interested in the GSA, I can appreciate all the added benefits but can't justify the extra cost. I'd rather add what's missing later on...if I need it.

Any and all advice is much appreciated.

For some added info, my current bike is a 2018 MT-09 which is great. I just want something more capable that doesn't beat me up at highway speeds. 35 highway miles on the MT makes for an annoying commute.
If only highway riding then why a GS? Why not a nice 4 cylinder Japanese/Euro mile muncher?

·
Super Moderator
969 Posts

Based on option codes you may just need to look bike by bike for what you need (ESA, cruise, riding modes, etc). It seems to be a sellers market at moment so will need to be patient depending on specifics you want.

FYI that $200 can get you an LED conversion for the older oil-cooled bikes, not sure about 2013 model year.
20210225_172724.jpg

·
Registered
64 Posts
I picked up a 2014 GS premium with 14k miles and lots of farkles for $10k. But that was about 9 months ago. I am very pleased with it. Good luck with your search.

If only interested in on road riding, a Yamaha FJR, 2013-15 would fit the bill nicely. They have better wind protection and are pretty bulletproof.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback guys. I am interesting in doing some light off roading, no single track but I would like to start exploring some gravel roads and maybe some dirt mountain paths in the Rockies. @Krons is there a breakdown somewhere that shows all of the various options available by year? I'd like to prioritize what I'm looking for but I'm struggling to determine when certain options became available based on model year.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
If you are looking for a used bike and prioritizing the options may limit your choices.
I would search for a specific year first and see if any of them meet your needs.
Lots of great condition used bike out there.

·
Super Moderator
969 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. I am interesting in doing some light off roading, no single track but I would like to start exploring some gravel roads and maybe some dirt mountain paths in the Rockies. @Krons is there a breakdown somewhere that shows all of the various options available by year? I'd like to prioritize what I'm looking for but I'm struggling to determine when certain options became available based on model year.
Not aware of a full breakdown anywhere. Link I posted gives some of the in-base equipment info.

Frankly shopping used you are best to simply hit ADVRider (Rynos post above), cycletrader.com and Craigslist to see what is available in your area. Fly and ride is an option if you are certain what you want and the maintenance on the bike you want.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It may not matter that much to you, but for me the TFT display was the decision maker, first available in 2018 R1200GS. Prior to that, BMW's dash info was a thin dark grey lettering on a slightly lighter greenish grey backround. Despite having all kinds of useful information on the 2017 or earlier model' dashboard, it was nearly impossible to read with even the slightest bit of sunlight on it. Definitely check that out ahead of your purchase. I think usually riders figure out their bikes menu system and dash display after purchase, but in this case I would check it out ahead of time. The quick shifter and auto dampening and load leveling are pretty nice features as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just look for any used 2013, 2014 or newer GS. You will have a liquid cooled version of the best bike in the world. It a great machine. I wouldn't sweat the small stuff as they are easy to maintain, and fairly hard to ruin.
Once you find a couple good candidates, ping us back here with specific questions about them. You can find a helluva nice bike for $10-12grand that will last you as long as you choose to keep it.

Caution: I would be careful about hiring Haul-Bikes or other shippers to ship the bike in to you right now. Haul Bikes specifically can't find drivers so they have at least one trailer full of bikes sitting for weeks on end with no expected delivery dates. I recommend you fly out and ride it home. I've done it 6 or 7 times now with excellent results.

Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts