R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my 2020 1250 GS I bought the Bren Stage 1 tune a few days later. I had Bren flash the ECU on my K1600 GT, and it took that bike from un-rideable to rideable. Truth be told there is nothing wrong with the stock tune on the 1250 IMHO. So, why spend some pretty healthy coin on a tune? Well first I felt the shifting on the bike was notchy, especially between 1st and 2nd. Second, there is a flat spot in the stock throttle. These are not complaints, just that I like perfection and the GS is oh so close, Lol!

How Hard Is it to Install?
It's very easy if you know anything about the bike. The software is a bit more like a utility than an application but it is generally pretty easy to follow. You simply open the right side triangular panel (remove one screw) and the data port is right there. The rest is plug and play. You download you bike's info to a file and email it to Bren. You then get questions back about the bike. Once gets the questions answered, they email you a MOD file. Once you have the MOD file it's a 35 minute upgrade. You'll need a Torx bit (forgot size), a computer with a USB port and internet. You should watch this video before and during your install:

Riding Impressions:
First thing you notice is that the exhaust is a bit more ruckus. I assume this is because the exhaust valve is opened by the tune. The bike immediately feels more aggressive, there is more power but not a massive increase. The shifting is smoother too. I'm starting to realize that BMW is really not so good at tuning. This is my second BMW that had a bit of a crazy throttle that Bren managed to fix.

Conclusions:
If you want to make your BMW into a Super Duke, this won't do it, at least the Stage 1 won't. It will clean up the throttle response of the bike and add a bit more sportiness to the boxer. It will sound cool too, did I mention the double pop when you upshift? The big question is, is it worth it and well, that's your call. But I would say this flash is definitely for the rider that wants that last 5% of perfection out of the bike.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Both my 1250GS engine and a friends 1250GSA engine detonates/knocks/pings. Does it in cold/cool temps and gets progressively worse in frequency & severity as the ambient temperature increases.

I am investigating whether a Bren Stage 1 tune can resolve the detonation issue.
An engine that runs nicer as well will be a bonus.

·
Registered
843 Posts
When I purchased my 2020 1250 GS I bought the Bren Stage 1 tune a few days later. I had Bren flash the ECU on my K1600 GT, and it took that bike from un-rideable to rideable. Truth be told there is nothing wrong with the stock tune on the 1250 IMHO. So, why spend some pretty healthy coin on a tune? Well first I felt the shifting on the bike was notchy, especially between 1st and 2nd. Second, there is a flat spot in the stock throttle. These are not complaints, just that I like perfection and the GS is oh so close, Lol!

How Hard Is it to Install?
It's very easy if you know anything about the bike. The software is a bit more like a utility than an application but it is generally pretty easy to follow. You simply open the right side triangular panel (remove one screw) and the data port is right there. The rest is plug and play. You download you bike's info to a file and email it to Bren. You then get questions back about the bike. Once gets the questions answered, they email you a MOD file. Once you have the MOD file it's a 35 minute upgrade. You'll need a Torx bit (forgot size), a computer with a USB port and internet. You should watch this video before and during your install:

Riding Impressions:
First thing you notice is that the exhaust is a bit more ruckus. I assume this is because the exhaust valve is opened by the tune. The bike immediately feels more aggressive, there is more power but not a massive increase. The shifting is smoother too. I'm starting to realize that BMW is really not so good at tuning. This is my second BMW that had a bit of a crazy throttle that Bren managed to fix.

Conclusions:
If you want to make your BMW into a Super Duke, this won't do it, at least the Stage 1 won't. It will clean up the throttle response of the bike and add a bit more sportiness to the boxer. It will sound cool too, did I mention the double pop when you upshift? The big question is, is it worth it and well, that's your call. But I would say this flash is definitely for the rider that wants that last 5% of perfection out of the bike.

View attachment 27039

View attachment 27040
Cool! How much?

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it's in the $600 range. Very slight improvement. I like it but realize it's not a night and day difference.

·
Super Awesom Person
615 Posts
I beleve if you install the new code and later take it in for service BMW can overwrite the code.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you get the mapper you can reload the OEM map when you take it to the dealer and put the Bren back when you get it back. Not to complicated or time consuming. I would not just get the flash.

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
This list is from the BrenTune web site for 2019+ 1250GS:
  • Power and torque gains due to unrestricted throttle and removal of limiters
  • Lower fan-on temperatures
  • Smoothing of part throttle and low RPM rideability to combat bucking and jerking
  • Removed top speed limiter
  • Aggressive ABS / DTC bike intervention for more experienced rider looking to shave seconds at the track
  • Stronger idle speed to combat stalling on warm up
  • Reshaped torque model for more power at all RPM’s, part or full-throttle
  • Ignition timing optimized for every fuel
  • Conversion to lambda
  • Full-throttle limiters
  • Engine braking in all modes
  • Cold and warm start issues eliminated
  • Removal of known flat spots in the RPM range
  • Rev-limit adjusted for max power
  • Lambda limiters adjusted for maximum power
  • Throttle valve adjustments
  • Software adaptation to for multiple fuels

This looks like the list they post for most bikes. After all are many 1250GS owners looking to "shave seconds at the track."

Does your stock bike have rideability issues like bucking and jerking?
Any problem warming up that needs "stronger idle speed."
Do you ever run race fuel?
Any cold or warm start issues?

Removed flat spots in the RPM range? Hmmmm, let's look at the dyno plots from the Bren web site:

Notice that they ran the bike to +500 RPM over the "before tune" tests for the Bren Tune numbers.

They list this on their web site for $795 for the stage 1 handheld. That's a lot of money for +4 HP and +3 ft. lbs and the hassle of having to diddle with your ECU every time you take it in to the shop. Those dyno plots tell me that Bren wasn't able to find much in their tuning of the bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts