R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to BMW motorcycles, still getting to know my 2017 1200GS Adventure, reading through the user manual it talks about ABS, specifically the "partial integral brake". Does this mean with ABS enabled a rider should primarily use the hand brake lever rather than the foot pedal? I've spent years racing offroad bikes and always use both pretty evenly, sometimes the front more so.
So how might using both pedal and lever in ABS mode affect things? I imagine the ABS will always "win" if using both and get a bit heavy with the foot?
How do you all use these two levers?
Anyone using primarily the hand lever and notice any brake pad wear patterns (even wear, very uneven wear, never bothered to notice)?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use both front & rear brakes on my '18 GS like I've done on any other bike and don't pay attention to the fact they are linked. 11K miles so far and I've not noticed any unusual wear - I mostly tour, so 90% is on road. So far I'm pretty happy with the brake system.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I also ride it like any other bike On the road. On my ‘09 I can feel a slight brief vibration in the rear pedal when the linked breaking kicks in, somewhere between very gentle and firmer application of the front lever.
But offroad I very often only use the front brake simply because it is easier when standing and when leaning back on steep downhills. This is where I really appreciate the linked braking.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also ride it like any other bike On the road. On my ‘09 I can feel a slight brief vibration in the rear pedal when the linked breaking kicks in, somewhere between very gentle and firmer application of the front lever.
But offroad I very often only use the front brake simply because it is easier when standing and when leaning back on steep downhills. This is where I really appreciate the linked braking.
Good info from both of you, thanks! Being an engineer I tend to read such things like tech specs, how these things might be tested or broken. Hogges you touched on one of the exact things I was pondering, how to (should I?) take advantage of this off-road, specifically riding while standing. I have been using the Enduro Pro mode more and more off-road/gravel so I can dabble in drifting this beast around bends/corners. Still a little intimidated... :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
When I'm lazy I just use the front and let the system take care of the rest....even at slow speeds, but not slow speed hard turning....
I do notice that if I use both the braking force appears to feel stronger

brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts