R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nav VI was working normally during a ride, then diagnostic screen shown below popped up on me while riding, one that I had not seen before. I tried the "up" and "down" buttons shown on the screen, but they did nothing; however the device eventually did a hard reset and returned to working normally, all without removing it from the cradle or turning off the bike.

QUESTION: Anyone else seen this? What other weird screens are available?

P.S.: I had been having trouble--literally for years--with the Nav VI display jumping around and was resorting to removing the device from the cradle and performing a hard reset to resolve the issue. (All updates are current.) I presumed that the hard reset was effective in resolving the recurring problem but now I think it was the removing/reinstallation that remedied the situation, e.g., bad contact with the pins. So, last time I just sprayed some contact cleaner (Deoxy5) on the contacts and the problem has not recurred.

Nav6 screen.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hmmm... mine had done the occasional jump around. I keep hitting the back arrow and it eventually does go back to where I like it when I ride.
I’m gonna spray my contacts too.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
In just over a year with the Nav 6 I have not seen that screen before. For the most part mine has been trouble free.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Yes Vatu just had this about 3 days ago......eventually the ghsot touch came, it started behaving weird and even with a hard reset the touch buttons dont work!

·
Survivor
712 Posts
I never had the diagnostic screen but did have bouts where the screen would become unstable, quiver, display an unrecognizable map and the motorcycle icon would disappear. This is commonly called ghosting. Did a reset and software update and it did not resolve the problem. Called Garmin support and wasn’t on the phone five minutes when the rep said he would set me up with a replacement unit. Had the new one in about ten days. Mine was over three years old when it was replaced.
Bottom line: call Garmin, good things may happen.

·
Super Moderator
793 Posts
If your nav is changing displays randomly or without your input it could likely be because of poor contact on the CANBUS pins in the cradle causing it to think it's being sent random inputs. Here's the pinout for the cradle:

The 3rd row from the bottom is the CANBUS serial bus communication pins. I've put a cradle on other bikes so that I can use my Nav6 and on a couple of instances, since they are not on a CANBUS, those pins were left floating and caused all manner of weird display changes.

I agree with cleaning up the contacts on the GPS and in the cradle to see if that helps. There's probably "secret" developer screens that are accessed by inputs we'll never know.

Reactions: Vatu

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
256 Posts
The screen on the original post picture can be accessed by pressing the battery icon (top right corner) for 6 seconds.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes Vatu just had this about 3 days ago......eventually the ghsot touch came, it started behaving weird and even with a hard reset the touch buttons dont work!

[/QUOTE].
YUP. Mine just
Started
Doing this. I might put a call into garmin.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Has anyone used their Nav6 off the cradle, in the car and have any issues? I have a 5 and have had no issues, but the 6’s are coming down in price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nav VI was working normally during a ride, then diagnostic screen shown below popped up on me while riding, one that I had not seen before. I tried the "up" and "down" buttons shown on the screen, but they did nothing; however the device eventually did a hard reset and returned to working normally, all without removing it from the cradle or turning off the bike.

P.S.: I had been having trouble--literally for years--with the Nav VI display jumping around and was resorting to removing the device from the cradle and performing a hard reset to resolve the issue. (All updates are current.) I presumed that the hard reset was effective in resolving the recurring problem but now I think it was the removing/reinstallation that remedied the situation, e.g., bad contact with the pins. So, last time I just sprayed some contact cleaner (Deoxy5) on the contacts and the problem has not recurred.

View attachment 28521
I have experienced the "jumping screen" or "ghost touch" phenomenon on my Nav VI about six months after getting it with the bike. Called Garmin and they sent me a replacement unit, no questions asked. It's a known HW issue which they claim has been fixed on the latest units.

Have not experienced the "ghost touch" issue with the new unit as of yet. I still have 3 more years of warranty left..... :)

·
Registered
856 Posts
And Garmin USA is way better than Garmin Europe. Garmin Europe has just 2 years warranty and beyond that even with the know ghost touch issue they will exchange it for a fee of 145 Pounds or $191 which is robbery knowing that its a manufacturing defect

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi had 2 units ghost screen. Replaced the first unit and 3 months later second unit did ghost screen. Sent unit back to BMW and asked my money back. Which they did. Just on the warranty as far as I know it runs from the 1st unit even if replaced, worth it to double check I would strongly suggest talk to your BMW dealership or Garmin, never saw that screen either.

I ended up going with Wunderlinq unit and very happy.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi had 2 units ghost screen. Replaced the first unit and 3 months later second unit did ghost screen. Sent unit back to BMW and asked my money back. Which they did. Just on the warranty as far as I know it runs from the 1st unit even if replaced, worth it to double check I would strongly suggest talk to your BMW dealership or Garmin, never saw that screen either.

I ended up going with Wunderlinq unit and very happy.
Question on Wunderlinq: Can you comment on 1) Wunderwheel integration (how useful it is), and 2) whether all the bike info can be displayed (engine temp, odometers, tire pressure, etc.)?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Unfortunately, as others have said, it looks like the infamous ghost touch has started to affect it. It's as if someone is touching the screen and making it do things you don't want it to. That screen is available by holding the top right (I think) corner of the screen for 10 seconds. I don't think the cradle has anything to do with it because those commands (reacting to touch on the screen) can't be given over canbus. I'm on my third Garmin because each one eventually starts suffering from it. Garmin just keep replacing them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Unfortunately, as others have said, it looks like the infamous ghost touch has started to affect it. It's as if someone is touching the screen and making it do things you don't want it to. That screen is available by holding the top right (I think) corner of the screen for 10 seconds. I don't think the cradle has anything to do with it because those commands (reacting to touch on the screen) can't be given over canbus. I'm on my third Garmin because each one eventually starts suffering from it. Garmin just keep replacing them.
This happened to me. Garmin is aware of the problem and will repair/replace your Nav VI for you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts