R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently ride a sport touring bike ( 2010 Kawasaki Councouse 14) I was going to make the switch the the 2014 BMW R1200 RT BUT when I went to the Intl' Bike show I got interested in the R 1200 GS. My question is long distance confort on a GS? There is no question that the GS is a more versatile bike but will I loose long distance riding confort on the GS. I dont and wont do much "off road" riding BUT beeing an ex Motocross racer I would take the occasional dirt road when I can. Is it worth giving up the RT long distance confort & wind potection or does the GS compare??? I have road the RT for a week in WY and loved the bike but have not yet gotten on a GS. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
170 Posts
...My question is long distance confort on a GS?
I have had the same questions as you, but my research had told me that with the proper farckles I can have the same long distance comfort as ANY touring bike.

The 2013+ 1200GSW is getting very good reviews for long distance comfort even without any mods.

Of course this is dependent on your body frame and weight, but there is much evidence that the bike is VERY comfortable for long rides for many riders.

Do some more research on ADVrider.com. :)

Caveat: I really PREFER a more upright riding position! I don't like feeling hunched over, which also means I will need a taller windscreen for high speed touring, the primary reason for buying the 1200 GSW in the first place.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a similar story.

I traded in an FJR for a new GS, but I originally went to the dealer with interest in the new RT. Unfortunately, I only have 400 miles on the GS so it's too early to answer your questions. But here are my thoughts anyway.

I took a test ride on a GS because the new RT is mechanically identical, and I was pleasantly surprised with its power and smoothness. Plus it's light and easy to handle. It has cruise control, lots of wind protection, is comfortable, and has lots of luggage options. My FJR was a great sport tourer, I think the GS will be just as good at sport and touring.

Go to a dealer and ask for a test ride, it's typical to have a demo GS on hand. They let me ride it for over an hour.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
I've ridden many kinds of machines over the last half century and toured all over. In late 2006, I purchased my first BMW, a K1200GT sport touring machine. In two years, I put 54,000 miles on it before I "cooked" the engine. While waiting to see if BMW would help me with the $12,000 repair, I borrowed my dealer's personal '09 GSA and rode it from NC to Oklahoma via back roads. On my return, I had to ride the interstates so I felt like I had a good representation of the bike's overall touring capabilities. When I returned the bike to the dealer, I bought one on the spot.

The GSA has wind protection that's almost as good as the GT or an RT. For me, the stock wind screen is fine but I did change the seat for those long days in the saddle. The only thing the '09 doesn't have that would make it better is cruise control. I added auxiliary lighting, GPS and changed the low beam to HID. This machine has served me well and I'll take to California in February, prior to the arrival of my new '14 GSA.

Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have had the same questions as you, but my research had told me that with the proper farckles I can have the same long distance comfort as ANY touring bike.

The 2013+ 1200GSW is getting very good reviews for long distance comfort even without any mods.

Of course this is dependent on your body frame and weight, but there is much evidence that the bike is VERY comfortable for long rides for many riders.

Do some more research on ADVrider.com. :)

Caveat: I really PREFER a more upright riding position! I don't like feeling hunched over, which also means I will need a taller windscreen for high speed touring, the primary reason for buying the 1200 GSW in the first place.
Thanks for the Feedback!! I will check out ADVrider

·
Registered
379 Posts
I traded in a ST1300 for my first GS. At the time I thought the ST1300 was the world's greatest touring bike (yes...it's close!) but needed the GS for a tour around Australia which was going to include some (lots) gravel and sand.

I then bought a Tripleblack for our two-up 2012 trip through the Americas. In my opinion, the GS is as good a touring bike as the ST1300 but has the added advantage of being able to handle the rougher surfaces. It is a little tall for me at times but I don't think I would go back. I would consider an 800GSA but nothing else. To be fair, as we rode through South America we meet lots of riders on VStroms and they seemed to be very happy campers.

At the end of the day, any bike is always better than any car. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went through something similar, also coming from a ST1300. I touched every coast in NA with that bike and loved touring with it. The only reasons I starting looking elsewhere was I got tired of turning around once the road got too rough and a bad knee. I eventually ordered a GSA for spring delivery and worried all winter about having made a mistake giving up the ST.

Since then I've had absolutely no regrets. I've been on multi-week trips and done lots of touring on it. It's done everything I've wanted and more. I find the seating position much more comfortable than the ST, even after 16 hours in the saddle. I can't see myself going back for some time and it seems to have itch to pick up a new bike for a while.

·
Registered
9 Posts
For the reasons you noted, you will love the GSW. I've been on GS's, LT's and RT's since the mid 90's often owning a GS and a touring model. When the 2014 came out with cruise control on it I sold my GS and my RT....the GS does it all!

As noted by other posters, the GS offers quite a bit of weather protection. I have an Aeroflow windshield on it and it is really comparable to the RT. I was on the phone today planning a spring trip to West Virginia and when my buddy mentioned rain I told him "it's just not a factor".

Because I sold the two bikes to get the one I ordered it loaded. I've always liked the GS better than the other BMW models and now with cruise, it's the best MC on the planet.

No regrets.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks agian to all for the helpful comments. I assume a passenger will aslo be as or more comfortable? I will test ride one in the spring.

·
Registered
170 Posts
.... I assume a passenger will aslo be as or more comfortable? .....
From all reports, the pillion seat is quite comfortable, not like a Goldwing of course, but at least as good as the RT. It's 3 inches higher, so helmet bashing may not be as much of an issue......at least that's ONE reason I ordered one!!:D

·
Registered
379 Posts
Technique is everything.

My wife finds it a bit of a challenge to get up there. She has worked out a good technique and so long as I have firm footings we're fine. She also has a piece of NZ sheepskin seat cover that she uses - when she remembers.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am considering a similar move. I'm thinking about trading my K1600GT for the new 1200GSW Adventure. For you guys with short legged passengers, how do you get them back there? Household Six is 4'10". She has very little difficulty getting onto the K bike but I think the GSA will present a significant challenge.

·
Registered
175 Posts
When my GF had a frozen shoulder she got on like this........
With the bike on the side stand she used the left rider’s foot rest to climb on to the rider’s seat, she then slid back to her own perch. I then had to extend my right leg and hop on to my seat. Picking the bike up from its side stand with the GFs weight was difficult so start from a camber that has the bike more upright before you start. She now just leaps on, I always have the side stand down just in case she pulls me over and she knows that if the worst comes to the worst we should try to fall to the left. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
I am considering a similar move. I'm thinking about trading my K1600GT for the new 1200GSW Adventure. For you guys with short legged passengers, how do you get them back there? Household Six is 4'10". She has very little difficulty getting onto the K bike but I think the GSA will present a significant challenge.
Household Six! Now, that's funny and, by your avatar, I know where the designation originates. My wife get on my '09 GSA the same way Eff described. It's not a big deal, at all. In fact, she likes the ride on the GSA better than our GT. Whenever the '14 GSA arrives, I'm sure she'll like it, too.

Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
The BMW R1200GS has been described as a, "touring platform with off road capabilities". That says it all right there. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts