R1200GS Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 44 short equal to size 27, BMW Streetguard suit fits right to me. I learned to buy only short sizes. In KLIM I use pants size 36x30. In BMW I use 38x30. You are right. Shopping is most of the fun
The hard part about buying bmw gear is the sizing selections. I really wanted a tall size when I was trying on jackets, but I could not find a dealer around that carried them. They would gladly order for me and then charge a restocking fee if I didn’t buy it. I’m 6’5” with a 36” inseam. I needed a size 105 I think in the jacket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I went BMW as KLIM doesn't make Tall size motorcycle jackets, although they do for snowmobiling (I have the KLIM Klimate Jacket and Pant). If you don't need tall I'd recommend KLIM as their Gortex stuff is the best. My BMW Enduroguard outfit does get me wet, despite BMW's claims of Gortex Equivalent. I've washed my gear in NiWax and retreated it with NiWax, but I still get wet.
I know I'm a little late to the game here, but check out the Carlsbad jacket. The sleeves run long on them, which may work for you, assuming you can find one.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I bumped into the KLIM rep at a dealership last month. He told me they have a whole new line coming this winter in tall sizing.

·
Registered
2016 R1200GS
14 Posts
I've been going back and forth on this, I have the BMW Rally Blue/Grey with the liner and the only thing I have to adjust to is the back armor only because I'm not use to it. I see this jacket being worn allot. The Klim line is great but for tall and slender people I don't think they take that into consideration I say this because of trying the induction summer coat and it was baggy as all hell around the waste to where it would bunch up. I'm contemplating a Badlands Pro in the color I'm looking for from a dealer that has a left over. I've spoken to other BMW riders and they lean towards BMW but still give Klim good reviews. If you call KLIM they'll tell you what colors are going to be in the new lineup and that the Badlands Pro has been totally redesigned again. For ME I don't NEED BMW gear, I want Quality and support / repair if there's a problem .

·
Administrator
1,147 Posts
I bought the Badlands Pro jacket and pants in 2015 before we rode the TAT. I've put 10's of thousands of miles, on and off road, and subjected that gear to more dirt naps than I'd like to discuss and it's held up perfectly. When all my buddies are breaking out their rain gear and dancing around on the side of the road, just zipping up my vents is priceless :)

·
Registered
2016 R1200GS
14 Posts
I bought the Badlands Pro jacket and pants in 2015 before we rode the TAT. I've put 10's of thousands of miles, on and off road, and subjected that gear to more dirt naps than I'd like to discuss and it's held up perfectly. When all my buddies are breaking out their rain gear and dancing around on the side of the road, just zipping up my vents is priceless :)
Too each there own. Weather can change in a minute, stopping to put on rain gear for me is NOT a deal breaker in purchasing clothing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I prefer the Klim as you have to stop when raining to put the liner in the BMW gear. With Klim, just zip up the zipper and you are good to go. Also Klim has better venting. I have the Badlands jacket and pants and very pleased with both. Big investment but I would do it again.
Agree… I have the same gear, would definitely buy it again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Too each there own. Weather can change in a minute, stopping to put on rain gear for me is NOT a deal breaker in purchasing clothing.
I agree as to it’s no big deal to stop and put on rain gear. Unfortunately I haven’t found any rain gear that has been worth the effort. I find gear that has you add a waterproof layer either within or over your riding gear to be pretty much useless in keeping you dry… if it makes you sweat because it doesn’t breathe then you may as well let the rain do it’s thing. I’ve used goretex products for years and swear by them. Like anything if you don’t do the routine maintenance on the gear the membrane won’t function as expected, nothing is perfect.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would love to hear your thoughts in regards to jackets....Klim or BMW??

Pros and cons.
I've used a number of BMW jackets and suits over the years, some had issues, most did not. I'm currently using a Streetguard 4 and the latest Rallye. The SG$ has been the best suit I've ever owned, usable in cold to pretty warm weather, and dry in the rain. The Rallye needs the rain liners, which I've never had to use, but previous experience with BMW liners is that they are also bone dry. Both suits are very comfortable.

Based on good reviews of products and warranty, I recently bought a Klim Hardanger. I liked the fit and the look. Alas, on my first ride, which was under six hours (including a stop for brunch), the material lining the legs was worn completely through on the left leg, and partially through on the right, where it rubs on the top of my BMW boots. The tops of the boots are very smooth, and I've had zero issues with any pants in the past being effected by them. The material of my Hardanger is either defective, or too fragile for its intended use. Either way, Klim warranty claims it's my "riding style" (highway, on a K1600GT) that caused the damage, which they will gladly fix - if I pay for the repairs.

My second ride with the suit (hour seven since new) was in the rain. We had several days of steady cold rain, and I took the opportunity to test all my "waterproof" gear, new and old. Within fifteen to twenty minutes, wearing the Hardanger, I was soaked from mid waist halfway to my knees. I couldn't have been wetter had I worn the suit for a day of heavy drinking at a beer garden, without benefit of restroom trips. I don't yet have feedback from Klim on that issue.

My only other Klim experience is a pair of "waterproof" gloves, which get totally sodden, even though your hand my be technically dry.

So my recommendation, for whatever it's worth, would be to go BMW rather than Klim. Klim gets just one chance to burn me when it comes to $1300 purchases, so I'm done with them.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts