R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys... new to the Forum, sadly under a catastrophic engine failure on a 2014 R1200GS. I'm wondering if you may have any ideas on to why this happened. Long story short, some weeks ago I was riding in normal traffic and started to hear a rattling noise, two blocks later the bike failed. After 3 weeks in the shop they've found the left hand piston rings in small pieces in the oil pan, damaged cylinder, rod, destroyed bearing; and possible damage to the right side. This bike has only 60.000 kms on the clock (37.000 mi), regular oil change, and general maintenance. I use it mainly in the city with ocasional road trips. The only variation in usage is that due to quarantines I didn't use it for over 10 months, but used to start it every week. Any ideas on to why a BMW engine with so little mileage and good maintenance on it would fail in such a bad way? Do you think that not driving it, only idling it for 10 months played a part? I'm considering selling it for parts and buying another one, but its reliability has me wondering...

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
Talk to BMW Motorrad. A guy here on the forum got them to cover some engine repairs on (I think) a 2015 GS with failed engine.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Generally speaking starting it up occasionally for a few minutes doesn't accomplish anything worthwhile. Much better to spend those 15 minutes on a gentle ride than idling in the garage. I'm not suggesting that doing so caused your failure, just pointing out that machinery exists to be used.

Reactions: Prado
1 - 3 of 3 Posts