R1200GS Forum banner

Kendon Trailer Single Rail Ramp Ideas

4K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Xlntcfp 
#1 ·
I love this kendon trailer, the price was right and it fits in my garage. The problem is that the ramp onto the trailer is very dangerous. I don't like to load the bike by myself, but I may be in a situation down the road where its a must.

Any ideas on how to rig this to have a wide ramp, to put my feet on for stability. I have read too many stories of situations where people fall off either side even with help. Especially loading the big cruisers. Some people recommend milk crates, but that seems like a stretch, plus they take up quite a bit of space. Kendon has a ramp for $600 they built after they got feedback on this issue.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

Road surface Wood Floor Automotive tire Gas

See less See more
#4 ·
That is an amazingly horrible idea for a ramp. I bet it makes things interesting to load/unload if wet out. I'd do 1 of two things:

1. Get a local sop to shear some good HD expanded metal and take weld it to the existing ramp.
2. Jettison the Kendon ramp and buy another ramp that has some traction included and modify it to fit.

#16 ·
I put a lot of bikes in and out of my van with a 15" wide 10' long ramp, all the way up to monster touring bikes. I don't ride them but will use the engine if it's a running bike. (I often buy non runners) With bikes that don't run I have help getting it past the hump going up. Odd how helpful the seller is getting them gone! ;^) Front wheel over the hump apply brake climb in van roll it into the chock. Unloading is nearly always solo, can be a bit tricky if the front brake doesn't work! I also have a light weight trailer with a short narrow ramp same procedure. I added self adhesive grip strips to the aluminum trailer deck where I stand, walk. Available at every home center.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Rare case where I used a second ramp to unload, in my defense It was a solo job and a 900 lb K1200LT That step stool is handy, if possible use local terrain to your advantage. Note; van front wheels up on ramps. I always use a strap to attach ramp to vehicle.

#17 ·
I also purchased and installed the $600 kit to make the ramp the same width as the trailer. I am delighted that they came up with this, it absolutely solved all my worries and I use the trailer more than ever, I easily ride the bike up the new ramp onto the trailer. I take off the seat to give me more leg room, and I ride it up slowly; it works great. I've had the trailer for 16 years so the kit works with pretty old models, like mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.