R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2015 R1200GSA and I have to replace the battery in my key fob every month or two... I haven’t been able to find any other posts on this, and from what I understand the batteries in these fobs should last a year or more... has anyone else had this issue or know of a solution? I bought it used about a year ago, tried using different brand batteries in case that was the issue but hasn’t helped. I’m not sure if it’s worth it if I have to pay a dealer $300 for a new one though...

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
239 Posts
I might say something stupid but, could it be some of the keys attached to it keeping some button pressed while they are in your pockets ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No other keys attached. I did think it may be a bad connection in one of the buttons on the key fob (neither of which I use, don’t have the security feature on my bike), but felt like the plastic was breaking on the fob when I tried to pry it apart :/

·
Registered
44 Posts
Make sure you store your key away from the bike when not riding. If its kept on the bike, or even nearby, the FOB battery will get drained quickly.
Basically, the bike pings the FOB regularly (even when off) and if the FOB is near enough to receive the signal, the FOB will ping back. That will drain the FOB battery. You need it to be far enough away so that it doesn't receive the bike's ping.

·
Survivor
705 Posts
Make sure you store your key away from the bike when not riding. If its kept on the bike, or even nearby, the FOB battery will get drained quickly.
Basically, the bike pings the FOB regularly (even when off) and if the FOB is near enough to receive the signal, the FOB will ping back. That will drain the FOB battery. You need it to be far enough away so that it doesn't receive the bike's ping.
This is not correct. The bike pings when the ignition button is pushed, not continuously.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would you please put your key in an aluminum can?

If it is placed near something that emits magnetism, it may always be in a communication state, and the battery will be significantly consumed.

If you feel that the battery is running out, isn't it too early? Try changing the key storage location, or put your key in an aluminum can(box).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
239 Posts
If you have a friend/colleague owing a good multimeter (and knowing how to use it) you could measure the electrical consumtion of the fob. Away from the bike it should be very low (a few thousands of ampères, something around 0.004 A)

If you read a higher value, try pushing each button. If one button does not change the value, it might be blocked pressed and kill the battery.

Usage will jump to around 0.100 A when the fob is close to the bike and the power button pressed (or any button is pressed on the fob)

Disclaimer: I did not measure any BMW (or any other) fobs, these are ballparks figures. Post what you'll get after measuring.

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
239 Posts
There are some clever guys around here, maybe one will take the measurement on a non-battery-killer fob as a base value.

I dont have one for my 2009 R1200gs

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I’ll check it with a multimeter this evening, not sure how I’ll get the fob apart without breaking the plastic, I heard it cracking when I tried to pry it apart (after removing the two screws) last night.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2020 1250 GSA. Bike is 4 months old, I already replaced the battery and now it is giving messages that it is only 50% again. It sure lies to kill batteries. I have started carrying a spare battery with me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is not correct. The bike pings when the ignition button is pushed, not continuously.
The issue of dying FOB batteries comes up quite often, and 9/10 times the original poster is keeping the key on or close to the bike. And 9/10 times the fix is to store the key further from the bike (like in the house).

The assumption/understanding on why that fix works is that the bike frequently (frequently, not continuously) pings the key.

Easy to try and doesn't involve multimeters or accidently cracking your FOB.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The issue of dying FOB batteries comes up quite often, and 9/10 times the original poster is keeping the key on or close to the bike. And 9/10 times the fix is to store the key further from the bike (like in the house).

The assumption/understanding on why that fix works is that the bike frequently (frequently, not continuously) pings the key.

Easy to try and doesn't involve multimeters or accidently cracking your FOB.
My key is hung on the wall and far enough away that the bike won't turn on unless I bring the key closer to the bike so I am not sure that is my issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Same, mine is hung on the wall in the house. It’s only about 30’ from the bike in the garage, but has an exterior wall between the key and the bike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 2015 R1200GSA and I have to replace the battery in my key fob every month or two... I haven’t been able to find any other posts on this, and from what I understand the batteries in these fobs should last a year or more... has anyone else had this issue or know of a solution? I bought it used about a year ago, tried using different brand batteries in case that was the issue but hasn’t helped. I’m not sure if it’s worth it if I have to pay a dealer $300 for a new one though...
I have a 2018 R1200GS and at about 8000 miles and one year old my fob batteries started dying at about age 1 month. Complained to the dealer and they replaced the fob. No problems since. Of course mine was still under warranty

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fob is the issue. Had a brand new F850GS eating batteries. BMW says fob too close. Store fob 75 feet from bike 3 weeks later battery in fob is dead. Warranty replaced fob. Now no issues. Don’t let a dealer shake their heads and say “ you got me”.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also had my fob replaced by the dealer under warranty for a 2018 R1200GS. Battery was lasting 3 weeks at best and now it has been almost a year and no issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought my '17.5 bike used a couple months ago, and the fob battery was weak (got the signal on the dash, and bike got stubborn about powering up). Replaced with a new battery, then another within a few days. Was about to look into replacing the fob, but tried once more with a brand-new definitely unexpired battery... not a problem since. I suspect that these systems need a really robust battery. My sense is reinforced by my volt-meter testing of the last failed battery vs the newest one: 3.1v vs 3.3+. 3.1v should have been good enough, but clearly was not.

·
Registered
52 Posts
also...don't store your FOB with other FOBs from different vehicles...they should make a Faraday Cage with slots for every FOB...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts