R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
And I learned from another, similar thread about this issue that you must use good batteries. The two bargain basement ones I had at home registered a decent output but would die within a week.

I “splurged” on good ones (Energizer) a couple months back and viola! No more issues.

Not saying that is the cause every time, but it was for my two fobs.

·
Super Moderator
823 Posts
For the last 5 years, I've always left my key fob on the bike (2016 loaded GS) with the key stuck in the GPS cradle when it's parked in the garage. It failed with the flashing red security warning on the display after about 3 years. I replaced the battery myself at that time and it just failed again last week. I don't use cheap batteries from China. Duracells have been lasting 2+ years in my bike.

I wonder if there aren't some crappy batteries out there or maybe a run of bad key fobs that drain the battery in it. All I know is that for me, storing it on the bike in the garage has been no factor. And, as far as I know, the buttons on my key fob don't do anything.

·
Registered
905 Posts
For the last 5 years, I've always left my key fob on the bike (2016 loaded GS) with the key stuck in the GPS cradle when it's parked in the garage. It failed with the flashing red security warning on the display after about 3 years. I replaced the battery myself at that time and it just failed again last week. I don't use cheap batteries from China. Duracells have been lasting 2+ years in my bike.

I wonder if there aren't some crappy batteries out there or maybe a run of bad key fobs that drain the battery in it. All I know is that for me, storing it on the bike in the garage has been no factor. And, as far as I know, the buttons on my key fob don't do anything.
Correct graybeard unless your bike has the DWA installed the buttons are just for playing around :)

21 - 23 of 23 Posts