R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newish owner of a 2016 GS here.
Trying to figure out what to do / where to keep the plastic emergency key that allows to start the bike in event of losing the fob.
Seems best to have on my person, but too bulky for my wallet; and of course you wouldn’t put it on your keychain with the FOB

I am thinking the only thing that makes sense is to hide it somewhere on the bike (and then be able to remember that secret spot a year or two later).

I realize most of you don’t want to reveal that specific location in public forum - so just respond in general terms: On the bike, in the luggage, etc.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
42 Posts
I keep my main key on my keychain, which is always on my person.
I keep my emergency key in the outside pocket of my riding pants (on my thigh, with a velcro flap closure).

If I am not riding with my ADV pants, I am usually not far for home, so skip carrying the emergency key.

·
Super Awesom Person
591 Posts
I keep mine on a key hook at home. If I'm on a trip with someone we exchange keys and if I'm by myself I keep the key in an unused pocket in my jacket.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I slide it inside one of the cheek pads on my helmet.
  1. I never thought of that idea but a something I'll think about. I have mine in my inside pocket of my riding jacket, I never ride with out my riding gear ....ever

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks folks!

All good ideas.

Pants or Jacket pocket - I have multiple sets I wear depending on the weather and type of ride. I am pretty sure I would forget it’s there and then be out with a different pair and not have it.

The helmet pad might work; I need to check that out.

I honestly thought more people would be hiding it on the bike so that no matter the circumstances the key would be with the bike. Kinda like a hide a key spare on a car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Newish owner of a 2016 GS here.
Trying to figure out what to do / where to keep the plastic emergency key that allows to start the bike in event of losing the fob.
Seems best to have on my person, but too bulky for my wallet; and of course you wouldn’t put it on your keychain with the FOB

I am thinking the only thing that makes sense is to hide it somewhere on the bike (and then be able to remember that secret spot a year or two later).

I realize most of you don’t want to reveal that specific location in public forum - so just respond in general terms: On the bike, in the luggage, etc.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I keep mine in a special pocket in the sleeve of my riding jacket.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I also keep mine in the rear pocket on my tailbag, behind my eyeglasses case. I have a loop of 550 cord through it to make it easier to locate.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I use a magnetic hide a key box. On my Suburban, I had it in the hollow of the hitch support frame.
Other vehicles it is tucked under the bumper or frame at rear of vehicle.
Didn't really expect anyone to have a spare car key. I don't think there is any more danger of losing my bike key than there is my car key so I don't bother trying to keep track of a spare when I ride.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Didn't really expect anyone to have a spare car key. I don't think there is any more danger of losing my bike key than there is my car key so I don't bother trying to keep track of a spare when I ride.
It’s rare for sure, and perhaps you will never need it - It has bailed me out a few times over the years.

In the case of the bike, nice to have the emergency key at hand if the fob goes kaput or goes missing.

·
Registered
654 Posts
On a ride a few years back on my K1600. There was a man there on a GSA with Keyless ride. His keyfob failed. Luckily he had the plastic key, but did not know how to use it, as it was keyless. I had bought a GSA a few months earlier and for some strange reason had read the manual. It came to mind that you wave the key under the seat near top of rear shock. We did it, button was enabled and he was able to start. Good thing, as we were about 100 miles out into Utah. I now take my plastic key(s) with me on any trip.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I mounted a small lockable box where my license plate mounts. I keep a number of items in it including a complete set of spare keys for panniers, tank bag, tail bag, etc. I also keep the emergency key there.

_5080009.JPG _5080012.JPG

·
Registered
72 Posts
I carry a separate little metal RF case with my credit cards in it. Key in there as I always carry that.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts