R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Newish owner of a 2016 GS here.
Trying to figure out what to do / where to keep the plastic emergency key that allows to start the bike in event of losing the fob.
Seems best to have on my person, but too bulky for my wallet; and of course you wouldn’t put it on your keychain with the FOB

I am thinking the only thing that makes sense is to hide it somewhere on the bike (and then be able to remember that secret spot a year or two later).

I realize most of you don’t want to reveal that specific location in public forum - so just respond in general terms: On the bike, in the luggage, etc.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I keep it in my motorcycle jacket.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Trying to figure out what to do / where to keep the plastic emergency key that allows to start the bike in event of losing the fob.
Seems best to have on my person, but too bulky for my wallet; and of course you wouldn’t put it on your keychain with the FOB

I am thinking the only thing that makes sense is to hide it somewhere on the bike (and then be able to remember that secret spot a year or two later).

I realize most of you don’t want to reveal that specific location in public forum - so just respond in general terms: On the bike, in the luggage, etc.

Thanks!

Keep mine in tail bag. I think its unlikely anyone else would know how to use it. Like you i have various riding jackets so would be hard to remember to always have key in correct jacket.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Great response everyone. Thanks very much. I am thinking I may try the neck chain or hiding on the bike somewhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Thanks!

I zip-tie it to a frame member, behind a panel. Means I need a torx to get at it, but that's better than 1) not having it available or 2) too visible.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thanks!

I have the same issue with the same bike. I always try to carry emergency key in a secure pocket within my jacket. With two jackets I will have to purchase an extra emergency key.
Never lost a key but one could have trouble with the fob so emergency key may be key to getting home!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Using gorilla tape, I tape the spare high dollar key in a high, near hidden corner of my unlocked Jesse bag. I never lock them. I normally leave my key in the ignition so I won't lose it! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have that plastic key in my boot. Here in NL (or probably all of Europe) it is not advisable to keep a key that makes your engine start on the bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just keep it in a little pocket inside my wallet. Wallet is always on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 31 of 31 Posts