R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2015 R1200 GSA
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading several posts in different places it is obvious that keyless gas caps area source of irritation. My first encounter was yesterday. I stopped to fill the tank and the keyless cap would not open. Fortunately after some fiddling the cap opened and I was able to fill up. However, after filling up I tried to open it a few more times with no luck.

On the way home with plenty of time to think about trading this thing for a Yamaha ST (this is my first BMW and I have been very nervous) it occurred to me that the mounting hardware for the tank bag (installed by previous owner) uses after market socket head cap screws through the cap flange. It turns out that my problem was mechanical binding from the bag mounting hardware. After backing off the after market screws the cap opens and closes properly with no issues. I have ordered 6 screws from BMW to remedy the problem. I will also try and get the torque and sequencing specs before installation so I do not distort the flange during re-installation. Yes, that means no more tank bag but I don't like a tank bag anyway and didn't use it.

For those who noticed the issue in hot weather I suggest you may have the same issue as these components are a mix of steel, aluminum and plastic all of which have different a coefficient of expansion. If the cap is not functioning try backing off the two screws closest to the handlebars.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
If you backed the screws out 1/4 turn and everything works, why chnage the screws? Overtightening is what causes the binding. Happens occasionally when I remove the tank ring to get the bodywork off. Simple twist of the wrist of the 2 top middle screws cures the problem.

·
Registered
2015 R1200 GSA
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you backed the screws out 1/4 turn and everything works, why chnage the screws? Overtightening is what causes the binding. Happens occasionally when I remove the tank ring to get the bodywork off. Simple twist of the wrist of the 2 top middle screws cures the problem.
Mainly because I do not plan to use the tank bag and want to ditch the hardware. Also, because I ordered the screws before I realized the OEM assembly can have the same issue. I am a bit impatient about these things....you know...order parts first ask questions later

·
Registered
2015 R1200 GSA
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it will still happen....tank ring or not.....you will be lucky if it doesnt!!
Don't crush my hopes like that...I want to believe all will be well with $25 worth of BMW branded screws...still going to carry the tool kit in case

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mine wouldn't open until I snugged down those 2 screws at the front, the ones that cover the lock plunger. So it seems too lose = won't open, too tight = won't open.

Reactions: ExHarley Rider

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you want to use tank bag, just look for model bag with straps or similar suspention to bike.

·
Super Moderator
977 Posts
When I first bought my keyless ride GS in 2016 my one early irritation was the gas cap. I resolved my problems with it by first understanding how it's suppose to work (i.e. when the bike allows it to be opened). OK, check - but I still had problems where I'd stop at the pump, turn the bike off, and it wouldn't let me open it without fiddling with it. I eventually learned the proper "fiddle" technique was to push down on the cap while opening the lever on it - that worked every time and provided some insight into why it was binding. Once I lubed the latching pin inside the locking mechanism, it's worked like a charm ever since.

You can replace the entire gas cap with a very nice looking screw on/off cap but that leaves you with no tank security, shrug. We rode motorcycles for decades without locking gas caps so I'm really not sure what the problem was that was solved by them. Was tampering really a major problem for some folks?

Regardless, it's now off my radar screen and never gets any thought. If your cap is being persnickety, try pushing down on it to relieve the pressure on the latching pin and it should pop right open. Well, unless you're trying to open it when the bike thinks it shouldn't let you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have seen riders unfamiliar with the bike, try to release the cap when the bike is still on. I cant imagine that this is good for the release mechanism so I would be wary when buying a second hand bike. I have had key locks fail on bike fuel caps in the past as well, but I dread the thought of a keyless failure.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Me no understand!!!! You/they/them (BMW) replace a key & lock mechanism with an electronic locking do-hicky!!! WTF was wrong with the old system??? I think the more manufactures lean towards electronics the more riders yearn for something easy/simple/functional & above all reliable! If ever I replace my current ride, 2007 R1200 GS it won't be with another BMW!!! (n)

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
After reading several posts in different places it is obvious that keyless gas caps area source of irritation. My first encounter was yesterday. I stopped to fill the tank and the keyless cap would not open. Fortunately after some fiddling the cap opened and I was able to fill up. However, after filling up I tried to open it a few more times with no luck.
Just in case everything fails, and you cannot open the cap, follow the procedure below. You will need the Torx 25 screwdriver located under the passenger seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts

On the way home with plenty of time to think about trading this thing for a Yamaha ST (this is my first BMW and I have been very nervous) it occurred to me that the mounting hardware for the tank bag (installed by previous owner) uses after market socket head cap screws through the cap flange. It turns out that my problem was mechanical binding from the bag mounting hardware. After backing off the after market screws the cap opens and closes properly with no issues. I have ordered 6 screws from BMW to remedy the problem. I will also try and get the torque and sequencing specs before installation so I do not distort the flange during re-installation. Yes, that means no more tank bag but I don't like a tank bag anyway and didn't use it.

For those who noticed the issue in hot weather I suggest you may have the same issue as these components are a mix of steel, aluminum and plastic all of which have different a coefficient of expansion. If the cap is not functioning try backing off the two screws closest to the handlebars.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 18 GS has had the same problem since it was new. I took it to the dealer, fiddled w/ the screws, tried various procedures to get the gas cap to open consistently.

2 weeks ago it went to the dealer again w/ the same problem. Guess what: New Gas Cap Assembly is now installed. So far, so good. Tech also told me on this new gas cap to lift the rear gently.. First time I heard that procedure, but it's supposedly a new device. Also, this has an audible CLICK when it opens and closes.

Good luck with it. It's a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 18 GS has had the same problem since it was new. I took it to the dealer, fiddled w/ the screws, tried various procedures to get the gas cap to open consistently.

2 weeks ago it went to the dealer again w/ the same problem. Guess what: New Gas Cap Assembly is now installed. So far, so good. Tech also told me on this new gas cap to lift the rear gently.. First time I heard that procedure, but it's supposedly a new device. Also, this has an audible CLICK when it opens and closes.

Good luck with it. It's a pain in the ass.
Yep, I just had mine replaced under warranty at the 12,000 mile service. I had been reduced to loosening the front bolts on every fill up. A maddening procedure. The dealer said it's a common problem, didn't ask any questions, just ordered the part when I told him what was going on.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I eventually learned the proper "fiddle" technique was to push down on the cap while opening the lever on it - that worked every time and provided some insight into why it was binding. Once I lubed the latching pin inside the locking mechanism, it's worked like a charm ever since.
^^^This^^^

·
Registered
1 Posts

I purchased a new GS 1250 two weeks ago and have had issues with opening the tank cap since new.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I purchased a new GS 1250 two weeks ago and have had issues with opening the tank cap since new.
Ditto on my new GSA. I also had the same problem with my 2018 GTL. The trick was to press down on the cap as you pull the lever. Not acceptable for any bike, never mind a new one but hey ho, at least the lid opens and fuel can go in. Ps make sure you carry a Torx 25 to disassemble the cap if all else fails ;-)

·
Super Moderator
977 Posts
Ditto on my new GSA. I also had the same problem with my 2018 GTL. The trick was to press down on the cap as you pull the lever. Not acceptable for any bike, never mind a new one but hey ho, at least the lid opens and fuel can go in. Ps make sure you carry a Torx 25 to disassemble the cap if all else fails ;-)
Meh, us BMW owners call those kinds of quirks "character."

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just in case everything fails, and you cannot open the cap, follow the procedure below. You will need the Torx 25 screwdriver located under the passenger seat.
Well I'll be a monkeys uncle!! I thought the Krauts were supposed to be a clever bunch!! Methinks they have shot emselves in the foot with this one!!! Have a fuel cap that can't be opened other than electronically to stop nefarious interference with your fuel... But any dick with a Torx 25 driver can gain access... Drrrrrrrrrrrrrr o_O

1 - 20 of 28 Posts