R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First and foremost thanks to all for your feedback in reference to BMW vs Klim jacket.

Based on your feedback I have decided to go with Klim, my next question to all you field testers.....I’m looking at the Altitude and Badland Pro.

I’m not into the hard core enduro.....but I do spend half my riding on dirt.

Is the Badland Pro worth the extra $500 (in Canada)?

I did notice that the Badland Pro is quite noticeably heavier in weight, and I understand that it is equipped with heavier (level 2) protection, that being said it’s $500 more.

Once again looking for your field tested opinions.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think the Badland is worth the extra price. I didn't care what color it would be so when the tan Badlands were heavly discounted I purchased them. I noticed some places on in internet still had tan suits for sale.

·
Registered
3 Posts
First and foremost thanks to all for your feedback in reference to BMW vs Klim jacket.

Based on your feedback I have decided to go with Klim, my next question to all you field testers.....I’m looking at the Altitude and Badland Pro.

I’m not into the hard core enduro.....but I do spend half my riding on dirt.

Is the Badland Pro worth the extra $500 (in Canada)?

I did notice that the Badland Pro is quite noticeably heavier in weight, and I understand that it is equipped with heavier (level 2) protection, that being said it’s $500 more.

Once again looking for your field tested opinions.
I own Klim Carlsbad pant and jacket Love them, rode in down pour and stayed dry, but i also have Klim switchback pants for summer and keep pullover rain pant cover for them.

·
2019 R1250 GSA
153 Posts
I also own the Klim Carlsbad Jacket and have experienced a few falls. The jacket protected me. The Badland Pro was too damn heavy.

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
138 Posts
I'm on my second set of Klim Latitude gear, rode the first 65,000 miles including a trip up the Dempster to Inuvik.
Sold the first set, stains and all, on ADVRider for half what I paid for them and bought set #2.
Set #2 went to Prudhoe Bay and back in 2019.

The Latitude works really well - my riding buddy bought the Badlands Jacket and Latitude pants, he later sold the Badlands Jacket and bought the Latitude Jacket, he said the Badlands was just too heavy for him and didn't vent well when it was hot.

I pair my Latitude with LDComfort base layers and ride with it in all weather.
When below 50F I add an Electric Jacket, when above 90F I wet the sleeves of the LDComfort shirt, close all the vents on the jacket, Open the collar and regulate airflow at the cuffs. The cooling effect lasts about 2 hours in a dry climate, more if the humidity is high.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Purchased Altitude jacket and pants a year ago after evaluating Badlands. I think I ended up with best of both worlds as I upgraded the armor from Badlands and put it in my Altitude. Now have Badlands armor in Altitude jacket and pants. Works great and much less heavy/hot!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have both the Badlands and Carlsbad. I use the Badlands for street use and the Carlsbad for dual-Sport riding. The badlands are heavy and do not vent well but offer the best protection. My Badlands are 5 years old so the latest version might be improved. The Carlsbad is lighter and the venting is VERY good. I ride with it in Georgia in July and August and people are surprised that I am not burning up. I get plenty of airflow through the lower sleeve vents and then out the back. If I were to fall on the road, I'd rather be in the Badlands. BTW, the owner of Klim said in a recent interview that he used the Badlands. I have been in heavy rain storms in both and kept dry.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I just bought a Carlsbad, haven't recieved it yet, but I bought it because it supposed to be lighter and comfortable.

·
Registered
212 Posts
What I can't figure out is why KLIM makes snowmobile jackets in TALL sizing, but refuse to do it for the motorcycle wear. I fit a Large, but the arms are too short, the XL gives me slightly but not ideal arm length, but then its too loose across the chest and shoulders.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Geez, I hate to be late to the conversation, but for the price, it's easy to see that you can get both superior protection, including all Kevlar construction, and ventilation (Kevlar mesh) for a few less dollars by going with Motoport. For waterproofing, I suggest going with a $250 breathable jumpsuit style layer over the Motoport, because it is a cost-effective, easier to don solution -- yes, I've used the zip-in liners and they work, but the pull over is way more comfy and easier to don when the rain actually starts falling. The permanent waterproof coatings/linings really suck in the comfort department.

A great thing is that the Motoport solution is 100% custom fit and made in the USA; all the other major brands are imports made of dangerously inferior materials. I know well that the Kevlar mesh works, because I live in the SF Bay Area where on any given summer ride, I'll experience temps starting in the upper 50's and then hit the upper 90's. Plus, I got picked off at 60mph by a woman during my commute; the suit got a single burn-thru on one knee and assorted rash, the helmet was damaged, after regaining consciousness I walked away with a concussion, soft-tissue injuries in my back, and a bruised knee. It could have been much worse -- all fabrics are not equal, and Kevlar is the only one I know of that won't melt when sliding on pavement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts