R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some real world feedback on the newer Klim helmets:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-krios-pro-arsenal-helmet

I finally got to try one on and it fits me well. I may be going in to Bob's in the next few weeks to pick one up but would love to hear of anyone's experience that have put some miles on it.

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
104 Posts
I've put about 35,000 miles on one, I love it.

Quiet, cool, love the Transition Lens, PinLock works, though when it got down to about 33F and it was really raining on the Dalton last June there was a bit of condensation around my nose.

On my GS Adv the helmet is very quiet, I ride with the Beak on all the time.

I have the Cardo Packtalk Bold installed and it was a simple install using the adhesive mount.

Just finished 5,000 miles in Australia on an FJR with my riding Mate Down Under, the helmet was a little noisier on the FJR and I generally rode without the Beak installed. More a function of the bikes windscreen than the helmet I think.

I got mine through Black Hills Moto, Alex Johnson is a straight shooter and if you CALL him you are likely to get a much better deal.

If you have any specific questions shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've put about 35,000 miles on one, I love it.
Thanks for that feedback. The price at my local BMW dealer is the same as found on Revzilla but I like deals :). I'll give your guy a call.

I think it's important to support my local dealer so if the price is close, I'll almost always buy from them.

How's the transitions shield? Any quirks or problems with it? I've yet to use on on any of my hats and I'm intrigued with it. I pretty much always keep a very dark shield on my helmets which is a problem at night. I either have to carry my clear shield and swap it or ride with it up and get bugs in my eyes. I usually carry my clear and this would hopefully eliminate that problem. Does it get really dark in direct sunlight?

·
Registered
1 Posts
KLIM helmet

I'm looking for some real world feedback on the newer Klim helmets:

I finally got to try one on and it fits me well. I may be going in to Bob's in the next few weeks to pick one up but would love to hear of anyone's experience that have put some miles on it.
I have used the helmet for about a year and enjoy it. Transition visor works great in most conditions. It does not get real dark, so in bright sunlight conditions sunglasses still needed.

·
Survivor
678 Posts
Second endorsement for Black Hills Moto.

Been wearing a Klim modular for about 14,000 miles. Initial fit seemed like the XL was very tight at the cheeks and the XXL was too loose everywhere. I did not check to see if I could swap cheek pads, but I imagine they can be purchased. The cheek pads loosened with a 1,000 miles of wear and the helmet is comfortable now. It is a tighter squeeze to get on an off, but that is an indication of a good fit I believe. It is a bit noisier than my previous NeoTech and about the same as my C3 Schuberth. The noise is not an issue. It is noticealy lighter than other modulars and quality of fit and finish is excellent. I am not sold on the transition lens. It works as advertised but has a slight tint even on cloudy days and during dawn and dusk periods. I also liked being able to ride with my faceshield up and only the flip down tinted half visor down on the Shoei and Schuberth. I am happy with the Klim and their price is good compared to other top line helmets, especially if you buy from Black Hills Moto, but were I buying a new helmet now it would probably be a Shoei.

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
104 Posts
Klim Helmet Feedback - Transition Lens

How's the transitions shield?

Any quirks or problems with it?
Colder temperatures, as in 30's F - tend to make the Transition Shield slow to react to low light,
it stays darker than I cared for. My Transition lens glasses behave the same way.

I pretty much always keep a very dark shield on my helmets which is a problem at night.
I usually carry my clear and this would hopefully eliminate that problem.
I have not had an issue with the Transition Lens being dark at night, I haven't done a lot of night riding either, the few times I have the temperature has been 50F+ so I have not suffered from cold-induced darkening issues.

Does it get really dark in direct sunlight? Yes, I have not had an occasion where I thought I needed Sun Glasses underneath the Transition Lens. It is one of the things I was concerned about having had a Shoei Neotec Helmet previously which has an Internal Sun Visor. The Transition Lens works great in the sun!
Hope this helps you

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have that exact helmet. I got it when it first came out, plus the expensive Sena built-in system. The helmet is extremely light, that's what I bought it. I always wear earplugs, otherwise I think it would be noisy. I don't like the Transitions lens as when I leave the helmet sitting in direct sunlight, the shadows shine through the beak and give it a picket fence look for a few minutes when I drive off. I ride 80/20 dirt, and it seems very breathable and well ventilated. The Sena system is kind of a PITA, as it comes with a separate handlebar mounted gizmo that I can never remember how to use. The sound quality is crappy, too. The helmet is high quality and expensive, like most Klim gear, but worth it if you value your head!

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
104 Posts
I have that exact helmet. I got it when it first came out, plus the expensive Sena built-in system. The helmet is extremely light, that's what I bought it. I always wear earplugs, otherwise, I think it would be noisy. I don't like the Transitions lens as when I leave the helmet sitting in direct sunlight, the shadows shine through the beak and give it a picket fence look for a few minutes when I drive off. I ride 80/20 dirt, and it seems very breathable and well ventilated. The Sena system is kind of a PITA, as it comes with a separate handlebar-mounted gizmo that I can never remember how to use. The sound quality is crappy, too. The helmet is high quality and expensive, like most Klim gear, but worth it if you value your head!
I concur on the leave it with the sun shining through the beak and the lens and you have a funky pattern for a few minutes. Hasn't been a major irritant for me, I try to remember to put the visor down if I'm leaving it in the sun which prevents the goofy pattern.

I too ride with earplugs though with this helmet on my GS ADV I am comfortable without them.

Riding in Australia in December on an FJR without the beak on the helmet I needed earplugs.

Most of the wind noise appears to come in around the neck roll, when I wear my neck gaiter the helmet is much quieter, earplugs in or out.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bit over the top comment. $700.00 + for a helmet does not make it safer than one at half the price.

P S.
don't have a wife.
It actually might be safer but that's not really the point. You can also tour, ride, ADV ride on something a lot less expensive than an R1200GS. I know a guy that drives a C7 Corvette that scoffs at the expensive Euro cars. Not everyone is trying to live in the sweet spot of value vs. performance. Why? Cuz they can.

I wouldn't be too quick to discount the value of the helmet's weight and the new Koroyd liner in the Klim. It's the first time I'm aware of when someone produced a helmet with something better that what amounts to styrofoam inside.

Not everyone replaces their "perfectly good looking" helmet after 5 years either. I do because when my head hits the ground the difference in money is going to seem pretty insignificant.

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
521 Posts
It actually might be safer but that's not really the point. You can also tour, ride, ADV ride on something a lot less expensive than an R1200GS. I know a guy that drives a C7 Corvette that scoffs at the expensive Euro cars. Not everyone is trying to live in the sweet spot of value vs. performance. Why? Cuz they can.

I wouldn't be too quick to discount the value of the helmet's weight and the new Koroyd liner in the Klim. It's the first time I'm aware of when someone produced a helmet with something better that what amounts to styrofoam inside.

Not everyone replaces their "perfectly good looking" helmet after 5 years either. I do because when my head hits the ground the difference in money is going to seem pretty insignificant.
I wish I had never commented. Didn't expect a lecture.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wish I had never commented. Didn't expect a lecture.
My apologies. I didn't mean for that to come off as a lecture. My bad. You stimulated my post but I wasn't directing it at you and meant it as a public service post about helmets and gear. I learned the hard way that buying cheap gear is expensive and my intention was to pass along that I think it's a fine idea to buy the best you can afford.

Sorry it seemed like I was lecturing you.

Wes

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had the Klim Krios Pro for about 7 months. I went with an XL and after 3 months of breaking in it felt a little loose. I bought a Large replacement liner since the L and XL shells are the same size and that fixed the issue, including the pressure point at the top of my forehead. The vented visor does tend to leave the transition visor zebra striped for a few minutes if you leave it up.

My biggest gripe on this helmet is the face shield hinge system. It is literally the weakest I've experienced with any helmet. Once you get over 50 or 60 mph or rapid acceleration, if the face shield is up, it will slam shut on you. You can forget about opening it a few clicks to crack it for increased air, the detents are too weak to hold it open with any reliability. I've replace the visor screw sets and still have the same issue.

For the price I would expect Klim to address such a big flaw but have yet to hear back from them regarding a fix.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts