R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I'm still following and still haven't pulled the trigger... The AT Honda and the newest triumph tiger 1200 had my attention but then, just yesterday , I make a trip to the local beemer dealer only to see the 2018 ralley GSA sitting there fully loaded... In my humble opinion there is not a more impressive motorcycle being made at this time .
Ride em all and then you'll know for sure which bike suits you best, those are all great machines.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ride em all and then you'll know for sure which bike suits you best, those are all great machines.
I think that is the biggest problem in a nutshell... There are so many great bikes on the market right now it's hard to narrow the field... Right now I see a shaft drive boxer in my future.

·
Registered
31 Posts
For what it's worth, I just did 4k miles with a bunch of different bikes. Only the Triumph and KTM had problems. In fact, the KTM had constant problems lol! The Triumph just had parts loosening and falling off every time we hit dirt.

:)

·
Registered
614 Posts
For what it's worth, I just did 4k miles with a bunch of different bikes. Only the Triumph and KTM had problems. In fact, the KTM had constant problems lol! The Triumph just had parts loosening and falling off every time we hit dirt.

:)
Buy the GS and you won't regret it. It's an amazing do-it-all bike with a 3 year warranty and, generally speaking, a much better dealership experience than riding a Honda where the guy working on your bike was working on a lawn mower just before and just after your service.

The 3 year warranty is a big factor for me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well, there's no denying that our beloved GS/GSA motorcycles are ugly. But, as most guys know, the prettiest girl in the bar often is not the one you want to leave with and in fact, it's usually the one that isn't getting much attention that, if you spend a little time with her, you'll learn that she's smart, funny, and is dying to show you a good time. The R1200 bikes are kinda like that. They've got a great personality.

I think it would dangerous to continue this metaphor much farther so I'll just leave it at that. My fugly GS sitting in the driveway looking like some kind of insect:

If you want a pretty bike, go shopping in the Ducati store for an Italian hottie. Just don't be remorseful when you spend more time polishing it than bashing off down two tracks in the woods with it.

That’s a great analogy!!! Just bought a smart and funny 2018 yesterday. Been looking a long time for a girl like her. #GreatPersonalityGSA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
BWM has used driveshafts since the R32 in 1923 — not even a hundred years — so I guess that the jury is still out.

First...I searched this subject and could find no up to date info...Are there any known mechanical issues with the R 1200 GSA ? I had a KTM sales person rip into me when I asked when they were going to go to a shaft drive.. Seems shaft drives have a checkered past?

·
Registered
69 Posts
And what is the engine configuration of a Honda Gold Wing??
I have an 2006 1800 6 cyl Wing bought new. Now has 218000K on it and the engine is still going strongl! My 2017 BMW GSA 1200 is a totally different animal. But still strong like bull! Would it go 218000K???? I dunno?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts