R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· '14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
2021 BMW R1250 GS Adventure
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was 67F here today in Western South Dakota.

I thought I had put the Gray Ghost II away for the season, but not so fast Moose Breath!

Nice 100-mile jaunt, I rode over to Sturgis BMW to check out the inventory, they have a crapload of GSAs in stock. The salesman, Jake, explained that they seldom get a bike with ESA and the fancy headlight. Lots of bikes in stock without ESA.

I then just puttered about for a few hours. The canyons were much cooler and were still wet and in a few places sandy so there was no real "fun" - once off the pavement you were immediately on ice or in mud so we stayed on the pavement.

The last stop was the carwash - she is now clean and ready for an early 24K service and the reinstallation of the Dunlop Trailmax Missions before my February trip to Mexico (Tucson - Mazatlan - ferry to LaPaz - Up Baja and back to Tucson.

· Registered
320 Posts
It was 67F here today in Western South Dakota.

I thought I had put the Gray Ghost II away for the season, but not so fast Moose Breath!

Nice 100-mile jaunt, I rode over to Sturgis BMW to check out the inventory, they have a crapload of GSAs in stock. The salesman, Jake, explained that they seldom get a bike with ESA and the fancy headlight. Lots of bikes in stock without ESA.

I then just puttered about for a few hours. The canyons were much cooler and were still wet and in a few places sandy so there was no real "fun" - once off the pavement you were immediately on ice or in mud so we stayed on the pavement.

The last stop was the carwash - she is now clean and ready for an early 24K service and the reinstallation of the Dunlop Trailmax Missions before my February trip to Mexico (Tucson - Mazatlan - ferry to LaPaz - Up Baja and back to Tucson.
Wow, brand new GS/As in the US market without ESA, in 2022! Supply chain issues must be alive and well.

· Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
2,392 Posts
Heading out today with a friend for some mixed surface. Supposed to me ib the mid-50's. Bikes will get used year round albeit less as the mercury drops. No need to mothball them as there is always a day or two per month that the temps are tolerable to ride in and the roads are dry. Thank you global warming (y)

· Registered
167 Posts
Salt hit the roads here last week, road toys are parked. I miss them already. Gotta haul the skis up from the basement.
78 for a high today in NE Florida. A bit of rain this morning so the roads were a bit wet, otherwise overcast most of the day (most of the week was like this). Also, while I have seen these 'skis' you speak of, what's a basement?

· Registered
13 Posts
Heading out today with a friend for some mixed surface. Supposed to me ib the mid-50's. Bikes will get used year round albeit less as the mercury drops. No need to mothball them as there is always a day or two per month that the temps are tolerable to ride in and the roads are dry. Thank you global warming (y)
Road salt here in ne Ohio is already down and waiting to destroy bikes. I’ll never take one out in salted roads. Ever. Small dealer here. Road salt destroys nice bikes.

· Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
2,392 Posts
Road salt here in ne Ohio is already down and waiting to destroy bikes. I’ll never take one out in salted roads. Ever. Small dealer here. Road salt destroys nice bikes.
Yes, we have the same thing here in Pennsylvania. Fortunately, road treatments are applied just prior and during storms. Once the weather event has come to pass and the roads dry the treatment is mostly gone or at least not wet where it can be flung all over the bike into every nook and cranny. The only time I've ever experienced corrosion due to road treatment is when I would take the DR650 sidecar rig out when it was snowing, and the roads were wet.

YMMV

Reactions: DaveFromDenver

· Registered
13 Posts
Yes, we have the same thing here in Pennsylvania. Fortunately, road treatments are applied just prior and during storms. Once the weather event has come to pass and the roads dry the treatment is mostly gone or at least not wet where it can be flung all over the bike into every nook and cranny. The only time I've ever experienced corrosion due to road treatment is when I would take the DR650 sidecar rig out when it was snowing, and the roads were wet.

YMMV
They don’t salt down there like they do up here.

· Registered
2,392 Posts
They don’t salt down there like they do up here.
If memory serves Pennsylvania extends farther north than Ohio and Ohio extends further sourth and Pennsylvania. I'm not necissarily understanding your "They don’t salt down there like they do up here." statment

· Registered
2,392 Posts
Bullocks on garage queens. Why buy'em iffn you're not gonna ride'em.

Reactions: DaveFromDenver

· Registered
13 Posts
If memory serves Pennsylvania extends farther north than Ohio and Ohio extends further sourth and Pennsylvania. I'm not necissarily understanding your "They don’t salt down there like they do up here." statment
Most of pa is south of NE ohio. Only a sliver comes north of us. NE Ohio salts the fuck out of their roads and those who ride their bikes after the salt goes down are generally quite sorry afterwards. Again, small dealer and mc appraiser here as well as an ase cert mechanic. Salt wrecks bikes. Do what you want. I don’t like riding in freezing temps anyhow.

· Registered
45 Posts
Winter tires are mandatory from Dec 1 to March 16 up here.
Does it really matter? My street is usually a sheet of ice during that period.
So no riding at all. However, the temptation is there on beautiful days

1 - 20 of 26 Posts