R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my 06 GS just 2 weeks ago. Last week we had our first freeze (just at 32F). I get up that morning, turn on the bike, and the LCD is scrambled, and she has a hard time turning over.

I figure no biggie, just got cold as I don't have a garage. But it hasn't gone away. I've charged the battery so I know it's full, but I've also ordered a new one as I know dead/dying batteries can do weird things to bikes.

Any other thoughts? I don't relish the idea of having to buy a new dash.

Attached pics of the bike, the dash in key off, and key on modes.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
You may have some moisture inside the housing. There is a little rubber plug on the back that acts as a vent plug. If it is frozen moisture can't vent. Worse, if it is missing rain water can enter the unit. A friend had his console ruined due to a lost plug.

Remove the unit from the bike and put it in a zip lock bag with lots of desiccant. That can sometimes help.

·
Super Awesom Person
819 Posts
A low battery can cause weird things but this is a new one. If it does it after the battery has been replaced I would clean the contacts on the display connector.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mark and Rick,

I will do as y'all suggested hopefully this week. I won't be riding as much this week b/c they closed the short way to my daughters daycare. Means I can't come back home and shift to the bike after dropping her off. :/

·
Reprobate
140 Posts
Mark and Rick,

I will do as y'all suggested hopefully this week. I won't be riding as much this week b/c they closed the short way to my daughters daycare. Means I can't come back home and shift to the bike after dropping her off. :/
Just a suggestion, but pharmacies toss out the little desiccant packets as they empty pill bottles. They've always been willing to save them for me. I put some in a ziplock and keep them handy for situations where my electronics or cameras are exposed to moisture.

Pete

·
Senile Member on 2006 GS
261 Posts
This may be a bit over-simplistic, but have you tried just letting it warm up to a "normal" room temperature again? The LCD shouldn't be temperature-sensitive, but that doesn't mean it's not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This may be a bit over-simplistic, but have you tried just letting it warm up to a "normal" room temperature again? The LCD shouldn't be temperature-sensitive, but that doesn't mean it's not.
I'm in Louisiana. That just means 'wait a few hours for the sun to come up" :) So yea, it's actually hit 80 here since it happened.

·
Senile Member on 2006 GS
261 Posts
So I bought my 06 GS just 2 weeks ago. Last week we had our first freeze (just at 32F). I get up that morning, turn on the bike, and the LCD is scrambled, and she has a hard time turning over.

I figure no biggie, just got cold as I don't have a garage. But it hasn't gone away. I've charged the battery so I know it's full, but I've also ordered a new one as I know dead/dying batteries can do weird things to bikes.

Any other thoughts? I don't relish the idea of having to buy a new dash.

Attached pics of the bike, the dash in key off, and key on modes.
Missed that the first time--you're saying the first pic, with lots of segments on, is with the key off? That is weird... it will be interesting to see if any parts of the display remain on after the cable's disconnected.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
saughblade, if the bike has no power (battery disconnected) the display dies, as expected. But if the battery is there, it has a display of some sort at all times.

It's a weird one.

And, to be clear, the one w/ the 'brake failure' light on is the key on position. That clears (although the triangle doesn't) once I get going.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I, too, missed that this happens with key off.

If you trace the cable that connects to the back of the instrument cluster you will find it joins a bundle of cables. Inspect the cable bundle, especially where the bundle is zip tied to brackets and the frame. Some have had issues with cable ties that were too tight. The tight cable ties wore through the insulation on some of the wires in the bundle causing shorts. If that happens the fix is to disassemble the wiring bundle to find and patch places where wires were shorting against each other.

I do not know if that is your issue. I hope it isn't. Luckily, a wiring diagram is available for '06 bikes ==> https://www.r1200gs.info/R1200GS_Wiring_Diagram.pdf

·
Registered
16 Posts
REPAIR lLCD DASHBOARD BMW R1200GS

hi
yust carefully open dashboard, unscrew 5 torx
remove lcd ,clean with alcohol, and put together
problem is corrosion
you must clean moisture in the housing

regards,Mec

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
quick update

New battery did not fix (not a huge surprise, but the battery was old and having some issues anyway).

I'll take the dash apart once it's dry here and see what I can get done.

·
War is the answer!
95 Posts
I think your screen is done brother.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think your screen is done brother.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Winner winner chicken dinner.

Finally got some time, took the dash off, took the cover off, baked it on low heat and then let it sit out open inside the house w/ my dehumidifier running for about 3 or 4 days. No change.

I recall there was someone who swapped out the screen, but I can't seem to find the thread now. Anyone have the link?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts