R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! New around here! A couple of months ago I bought my first BMW motorcycle, a 2013 K25 with 14,000kms (8,750 miles) single owner who happened to be a close friend, great maintenance history, and I have absolutely loved the bike!! The bike was well cared for, had no off road miles on it, and maintenance was always done at the dealer.

The bike now has 18,500kms (11,250 miles), and the past couple of weeks have been dreadful. It started when the FD started leaking oil on the brake disc, wheel and tyre. Took it to the dealer, at first they said it was just an o-ring, replaced it and problem persisted, then they said it was a retainer, and then that the bearing broke. They replaced the bearing and the retainer and the oil leak did stop, however, ever since I picked up the bike, it feels as if it had some slack in the transmission. It had some "slack" before, but this time you can hear and fell a hard knock every time the clutch engages or disengages and when you get on and off the throttle, specially in low gears. I use the bike to commute in heavy traffic, and the knock feels extremely unhealthy. I took the bike back to the dealer and they said this was normal, and that they all did that.

Any ideas? Why was it really subtle before the bearing fix and so hard afterwards?

Also, while checking where the knock came from I stumbled across an engine oil leak through the left cylinder. I'll attach a picture. No wonder I got an oil light after 2,000kms after an oil change. Then again dealer said it was normal. Are these bikes so unreliable? Am I just unlucky? Is this a common issue? Any thoughts of what may be causing the leak?

Thank you for your help and sorry for such a long post!!

All the best and cheers from Colombia!

Attachments

·
Survivor
704 Posts
You are taking up the slack that is in the drive shaft and transmission. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
The amount your tire is moving looks to be within normal range. Some are a bit more, others are a bit less. On my '05 the tire rotated about 3 1/2 inches (90 mm) at the circumference. I've never bothered checking the lash on my '13.

It is a combination of FD crown/pinion backlash, drive line to FD spline backlash, FD to transmission backlash, and the backlash in the transmission. When they repaired your FD the backlash could have changed which is why it feels different.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The amount your tire is moving looks to be within normal range. Some are a bit more, others are a bit less. On my '05 the tire rotated about 3 1/2 inches (90 mm) at the circumference. I've never bothered checking the lash on my '13.

It is a combination of FD crown/pinion backlash, drive line to FD spline backlash, FD to transmission backlash, and the backlash in the transmission. When they repaired your FD the backlash could have changed which is why it feels different.
Awesome, thank you!! I did measure mine and was only 2". Noticed it was a bit low on engine oil, topped it up and it did dampen the sound a bit. I will change the gearbox oil too just for peace of mind!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts