R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Pay attention to the shape and location of the LED emitter. If it's somewhere other than where the filament of the OEM incandescent bulb is, you'll lose the beam shape engineered into the reflector. Most likely impact is that you get extra light, but it doesn't go anywhere helpful. Maybe it'll go into the eyes of oncoming drivers. Glaring them is bad IMO.

Reactions: Southpaw

·
Administrator
1,886 Posts

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
672 Posts
Cyclops BMW R1200GS /GSA High/Low Kit - Best Rest Products

Description

Cyclops BMW R1200GS / GSA Kit (High beam and Low beam)

The BMW R1200GS uses 2 H7 bulbs, one in each headlight.

This kit contains TWO H7 LED lights for a conversion of BOTH high beam and low beam. The kit includes a longer wiring lead for high beam module. Everything fits inside the headlight housing.

Performance will be similar to what you see in this video, which shows an F800GS with 2 LED headlight conversions. The rider switches between high beam and low beam as he rides toward the camera: Cyclops Test Ride Demo

To watch an install demo click here: Cyclops Installation

·
Administrator
1,886 Posts
Part of my logic to skip Cyclops and replace the whole assembly was that my stock glass had a stone chip. OCD got the best of me...plus I like the new style led look.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Part of my logic to skip Cyclops and replace the whole assembly was that my stock glass had a stone chip. OCD got the best of me...plus I like the new style led look.

Correct me if I'm missing something but it looks like that assembly has no provision for aiming. If that's correct seems like a critical thing you would want to have.

·
Administrator
1,886 Posts
You can still tilt up and down, just loosen mounting screws on left and right. I marked my garage door with tape from old headlight, then after install adjusted new assembly to same position then tightened down. Put blue loctite to make sure it held in place.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I haven't pulled my assembly yet but it seems there are 3 contact points-the two L/R mounting screws and the grommet and pin on the bottom. So there is enough slack in that bottom pin to adjust the beam? I guess it doesn't take much movement at the light to amount to a lot 20 or 30 feet out....Tks.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
I haven't pulled my assembly yet but it seems there are 3 contact points-the two L/R mounting screws and the grommet and pin on the bottom. So there is enough slack in that bottom pin to adjust the beam? I guess it doesn't take much movement at the light to amount to a lot 20 or 30 feet out....Tks.
This may assist you with adjusting:

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the opportunity to be a led headlight tester for bmw r1200 k25.

Here is the link to the person responsible for the sale. >> DoctorLight
Review video

I have been using the headlamp for some time and I am very pleased. Simple assembly. just connecting the cables and mounting in the old place. Significantly improved visibility on the road.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
2011 R1200 GS
14 Posts
I had the opportunity to be a led headlight tester for bmw r1200 k25.

Here is the link to the person responsible for the sale. >> DoctorLight
Review video

I have been using the headlamp for some time and I am very pleased. Simple assembly. just connecting the cables and mounting in the old place. Significantly improved visibility on the road.

View attachment 33109
It would be a great solution if you didn't have to send in your headlight to be "refurbished"

·
Registered
2011 R1200 GS
14 Posts
Sending the headlamp for renovation is just one of the options.
You can buy a ready-made headlamp like in my example. 😉
That's great news! I had looked at the website, but it appeared that the only option was to refurb the existing headlight. Though I did think it was a bit odd from your pictures for them to have "boxed" a refurb :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2012 R1200 GSA headlamp needs replacing according to my mechanic. The plastic that holds the bulb clip is broken and the entire unit needs to be replaced. A new unit is $900!! Can anyone recommend a good LED replacement headlamp or other solutions? I see a variety of them but with mixed reviews.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts