R1200GS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
2,010 Posts
EBay and Ali Express have LED direct headlight bucket replacements. Those who have installed them report back really liking them.

Another option is on ADV Rider look up member "Road Damage" he is selling a good used headlight bucket.

FWIW your current headlight bucket may be salvageable with some creative epoxy work.

Personally I do not like the OEM headlight output (its not an exclusive club) I also don't waste time or effort upgrading them to either a LED replacement or different bulbs. As long as the hi/lo beams work I supplement then H7 headlight with LED running lights (3" LED Pods) that case whiter brighter light further and in a wider pattern. Lots of decently priced LED light pods on Amazon that will no pun intended outshine the stock setup.

Cheers,

P-14

Reactions: Walshy25

·
Administrator
1,887 Posts
My 2012 R1200 GSA headlamp needs replacing according to my mechanic. The plastic that holds the bulb clip is broken and the entire unit needs to be replaced. A new unit is $900!! Can anyone recommend a good LED replacement headlamp or other solutions? I see a variety of them but with mixed reviews.
Checkout the whole thread I moved your post to, should answer your questions.

·
Registered
2011 R1200 GS
14 Posts
My 2012 R1200 GSA headlamp needs replacing according to my mechanic. The plastic that holds the bulb clip is broken and the entire unit needs to be replaced. A new unit is $900!! Can anyone recommend a good LED replacement headlamp or other solutions? I see a variety of them but with mixed reviews.
I went with the KEMiMOTO offering on AliExpress. It's a newer design and has excellent light output.
Font Brand Circle Logo Auto part

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there all,

I have searched the forums and have seen this topic crop up a few times so apologies for going over same ground.

Just wanted to hear people's experiences with these full headlamp unit upgrades and see if there are any major cons associated with them?

I have read a lot about some units not having sufficient fixing points leading to swinging or rocking whilst driving!

I've seen this one below, which going from the images alone (!?), Appears to have an adjuster for light level which is something a lot of the units I've seen don't have?...

If anyone has experience of this model, or any of the models available I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks all

·
Administrator
1,887 Posts
Hi there all,

I have searched the forums and have seen this topic crop up a few times so apologies for going over same ground.

Just wanted to hear people's experiences with these full headlamp unit upgrades and see if there are any major cons associated with them?

I have read a lot about some units not having sufficient fixing points leading to swinging or rocking whilst driving!

I've seen this one below, which going from the images alone (!?), Appears to have an adjuster for light level which is something a lot of the units I've seen don't have?...

If anyone has experience of this model, or any of the models available I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks all
I moved your post to this thread which has the most comprehensive info. The Kemimoto led version on my 2007 is only fixed by the left and right screws and has not been a problem staying in adjustment. 2.5 yrs and 15,000 miles and still works great, zero cons from my side, one of best upgrades done to improve lighting and look of bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I moved your post to this thread which has the most comprehensive info. The Kemimoto led version on my 2007 is only fixed by the left and right screws and has not been a problem staying in adjustment. 2.5 yrs and 15,000 miles and still works great, zero cons from my side, one of best upgrades done to improve lighting and look of bike.
That's great to hear you've had no issues in all of that time.

Do you ever need to adjust the height of your headlight when your bike is fully loaded?

Would be interesting to hear from anyone who has purchased the one I've linked, or any with 3 points of fixing on the unit.

·
Registered
2011 R1200 GS
14 Posts
Hi there all,

Thanks all
Yes, this appears to be the same or similiar to the one on AliExpress (they claim they will send the E Mark certification). It does have an adjuster (which actually works) and uses the same three mounting points as the original.

It is provided with three grommets to be used with the three attachment posts of the speedo/tach assembly. I found them to be much too large. However the oem grommets fit perfectly.

Also the headlight is provided with two rubber attachment grommets (left/right) with internal threaded brass inserts. The brass inserts were "overmolded" with rubber (i.e. can't get the two attachment screws through), but nothing that a tap and 30 seconds of your time won't cure.

Only time will tell, but so far, two months in, and the light has performed flawlessly. Obviously that comment could come back to bite on the next startup or road trip.

Meantime, the light output is far superior to the oem halogen setup.
Font Automotive lighting Brand Logo Auto part

·
Registered
7 Posts
In shocked the adjuster works tbh:eek:

I'm just starting to feel prehistoric around other bikes now with my dim candles! These headlight clusters really enhanced the looks as well as usability on videos I've seen.

My biggest fear always comes back to the adjustment as I really don't want to dazzle others when loaded up for a trip. Suppose it will just take a bit more diligence on my part to ensure things are ok.

·
Registered
2011 R1200 GS
14 Posts
In shocked the adjuster works tbh:eek:

I'm just starting to feel prehistoric around other bikes now with my dim candles! These headlight clusters really enhanced the looks as well as usability on videos I've seen.

My biggest fear always comes back to the adjustment as I really don't want to dazzle others when loaded up for a trip. Suppose it will just take a bit more diligence on my part to ensure things are ok.
Trust me, I was very skeptical when I bought the headlight on AliExpress. I couldn't believe that the adjuster actually worked either.

It really looks even better in person...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you both for sticking pictures up!

Bot units really lift the appearance of the older models.

Honestly, the unit Krons has installed looks a tad better due to the drl and sidelight (*main beam!) being separated almost, just gives off more of an effect.

I've opted for the same as you though Quattro due to the pro's of the newer unit, and the fact it reminds me of star wars for some reason :LOL:

·
Registered
2011 R1200 GS
14 Posts
Thank you both for sticking pictures up!

Bot units really lift the appearance of the older models.

Honestly, the unit Krons has installed looks a tad better due to the drl and sidelight being separated almost, just gives off more of an effect.

I've opted for the same as you though Quattro due to the pro's of the newer unit, and the fact it reminds me of star wars for some reason :LOL:
I wasn't crazy about the look, but ended up liking it a lot better...once it was installed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wasn't crazy about the look, but ended up liking it a lot better...once it was installed.
Got to say your bike looks in fantastic nick!

Just had mine into the dealer for service and the maintenance lad said the same thing about mine. I've taken mine all over and with lads on newer versions and for some reason it always comes back cleaner than others!?

I'll be honest, it's been a road bike for most of its life excluding gravel and trails etc.

On the light, I'm assuming it is a plastic lens? Have you found it to pick up much in the way of scratches etc? Would a clear lens protector over my metal mesh be a better shout?

Sorry for 21 questions:LOL:

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
467 Posts
Being a product not very expensive, the materials in the production may be not that much resistant to scratches and stone chips. I'd install headlight acrylic protection. Acrylic protection can get all the scratches and be replaced for just a little cost.
I have 2021GS with LED (expensive) headlight. I didn't want to take chances so I installed cheap acrylic protection from AliExpress. While I was tightening the screws, the acrylic cracked. So I went to the shop of friend of mine where he makes parts from acrylic and plastics on his CNC machine. He cut new acrylic protection following the shape of the mounting bracket. He used very good acyilic that is almost impossible to brake and charged me 15 euros (+/- 15 USD). I don't want to risk 1000 USD headlight. So the same thing can be done on the LED headlight you're talking about in this thread.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a touratech plastic headlight protector that failed on me last year eventually, so swapped out for a metal mesh one.

Think I will 3D print new mounting brackets and reuse this as overall, the quality of it is decent!

Thanks for insight.

·
Registered
2011 R1200 GS
14 Posts
Got to say your bike looks in fantastic nick!

Just had mine into the dealer for service and the maintenance lad said the same thing about mine. I've taken mine all over and with lads on newer versions and for some reason it always comes back cleaner than others!?

I'll be honest, it's been a road bike for most of its life excluding gravel and trails etc.

On the light, I'm assuming it is a plastic lens? Have you found it to pick up much in the way of scratches etc? Would a clear lens protector over my metal mesh be a better shout?

Sorry for 21 questions:LOL:
Oops! Overlooked this.

It is plastic...so far no scratches, though they're bound to happen. If I could find a clear lens protector that didn't look like crap, I would probably try it.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts