R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

It's my Dad's birthday and I want to get him a LED headlight upgrade. It looks like this is the most popular one to get but requires a decent amount of modification... I emailed the seller for instructions and they sent me this video, and the guy needed to 3d print a piece to make it not jiggle..
Here is a pic of his bike which he rides to work every day and loves along with my brother and my bikes (which I did an LED upgrade on and love, it was a simple swap):

If anyone has first hand experience with LED headlight upgrade on this model I would really appreciate. Would be curious to know which one you guys recommend, and the intensiveness of install.

Cheers

Hans

·
Super Moderator
459 Posts
I have one, details here:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Second Cylops...after looking over the Chinese replacement headlamp assembly that some have used I was unhappy with the deletion of all the aiming hardware. It's there for a reason. David at BestRest must have been having a bad week because he sent me mismatched bulbs for my 06....and then sent the replacement to himself....so I only have the hi-beam installed at this point. If you have looked at the install video he has posted on youtube you need to be aware that the design has changed. The original design had the connectors wired straight into the control unit which made for a relatively easy installation. Now the control unit is connected to the bulb connection with a 2-piece molded, 4-pin connector. It's about 3 inches long and it does not bend at all. David provide a sheet of install mods with the bulbs but I can tell you it's a challenge getting the hi-beam installed and all the electronics properly packaged. It looks like there's more room for the lo-beam but I don't have it in hand yet so I can't comment yet.

·
Super Moderator
459 Posts
No problems with aiming mine, as there is slack on left and right for vertical and side-to-side tilt. Plus with loctite it has held position. Like everything, YMMV.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Second Cylops...after looking over the Chinese replacement headlamp assembly that some have used I was unhappy with the deletion of all the aiming hardware. It's there for a reason. David at BestRest must have been having a bad week because he sent me mismatched bulbs for my 06....and then sent the replacement to himself....so I only have the hi-beam installed at this point. If you have looked at the install video he has posted on youtube you need to be aware that the design has changed. The original design had the connectors wired straight into the control unit which made for a relatively easy installation. Now the control unit is connected to the bulb connection with a 2-piece molded, 4-pin connector. It's about 3 inches long and it does not bend at all. David provide a sheet of install mods with the bulbs but I can tell you it's a challenge getting the hi-beam installed and all the electronics properly packaged. It looks like there's more room for the lo-beam but I don't have it in hand yet so I can't comment yet.

Lo-beam arrived today and I finished the installation in a half-hour. A note on fitting the H7 adapter rings that come with the bulbs. The lo-beam side initially wouldn't seat properly. Either the socket on the reflector was small or the adapter ring large. By this time the bike's been down for 10 days, I've finished the install of the Hexezcan and rewired the aux lights and I'm getting frustrated. I was on the cusp of packing them all up and sending them back but decided to check the fit of the halogen bulb that was taken out-it had to be snapped into place...so with a little more persuation the adapter popped into place and the lo-beam side was buttoned up. Turns out it was relatively easy to package all the electronics on the lo-beam side without affecting the ability to aim the reflector.

Some observations on the install:
-Don't rely on the youtube video David at BestRest did for the install, with the redesign of the assembly it is no longer accurate. There are some supplemental instructions in the package but they aren't as helpful as a good video,
-The diameter of the adapter ring is significantly larger than the diameter of the halogen bulb base so the retention bail take some work to fit,
-David advised me that most installation require the light to be aimed a little lower after installation. I haven't had the chance to check yet but that's simple enough,
-Against the garage wall the lights are now remarkably brighter so if you do Cylops of the full assembly replacement it's going to be an upgrade.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cyclops are the way to go. I actually thought the light from the LED upgrade on my '08 GSA was better than the pattern on the OEM LED on my '18 GSA. Nice white light, didn't have to re-aim the headlight. Takes a little fussing to get it all installed, but well worth the effort. Best upgrade I ever made to the '08.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts