R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Wanted to ask if any of you noticed pain around your left knee when riding over long distance (around 100+ kms) sitting. I have noticed my left knee is often not even close to the tank, while my right knee is right next to it. Checking if its something common, or a fault in my body which I need to resolve.

Cheers.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I carry a Costco sized bottle of Advil on my long rides. My recreational drug of choice - every time I recreate, I need it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You might try the Ace velcro knee support/brace available at most drug stores. Not expensive, and it gives a nice feeling of support. Adjustable. But I'm no doctor, and if your pain is from arthritis or other degenerative issues, I'm not sure if it will help. It just makes rides more comfortable for me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Talk to your doctor. If you're over 40 there's probably some arthritis going on. Ask about PT, strengthening and stretching exercises. Adjust your bike's ergonomics if you can.

I found improving my core strength helped a lot with back and shoulder pain.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I injured my left knee in the army and, about three years ago, it was really bothering me on long rides. I went to a Flexogenics orthopedic facility and, after an exam and x-rays, I was informed I was a candidate for treatment. Since I've had cancer, my on cells couldn't be used so they shoved "chicken parts" in there. I was pain free for two trips to Alaska and two cross-country rides. I'm leaving in April for three months on the road and just completed my second round of injections. Pain free.

Mike

·
Registered
517 Posts
Shucks hes worried about one knee.......my shoulders, joints, knees, back all hurt and ofcourse its all helped by the amazing roads in the Himalayas

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shucks hes worried about one knee.......my shoulders, joints, knees, back all hurt and ofcourse its all helped by the amazing roads in the Himalayas
If we are comparing damaged body parts here, I still ride motorbikes while suffering from spinal stenosis after being involved in a hit and run accident as a pedestrian vs a car; which prevents me from walking or standing for more than 10 minutes, or carrying/lifting any amount of weight. I think am winning this round so far ;) I have done plenty of Kolkata-Delhi-Leh-Khardung la-Srinagar-Delhi- Kolkata in the 90s on my Yezdi without breaking bones, you kids have it easy these days :)

Thanks guys, I should get my knee checked :/ I didn't feel any discomfort on the ZRX previously so thought could be something to do with how I sit on this bike. I'll try the knee brace and see if it helps. I did some digging around and some folks have had some success swapping the stock foot pegs with the Fastway pegs set up bit lower than the standard height. Might try that later on as an option. Well I feel a little better to know am not alone on this :p

·
Registered
517 Posts
If we are comparing damaged body parts here, I still ride motorbikes while suffering from spinal stenosis after being involved in a hit and run accident as a pedestrian vs a car; which prevents me from walking or standing for more than 10 minutes, or carrying/lifting any amount of weight. I think am winning this round so far ;) I have done plenty of Kolkata-Delhi-Leh-Khardung la-Srinagar-Delhi- Kolkata in the 90s on my Yezdi without breaking bones, you kids have it easy these days :)

Thanks guys, I should get my knee checked :/ I didn't feel any discomfort on the ZRX previously so thought could be something to do with how I sit on this bike. I'll try the knee brace and see if it helps. I did some digging around and some folks have had some success swapping the stock foot pegs with the Fastway pegs set up bit lower than the standard height. Might try that later on as an option. Well I feel a little better to know am not alone on this :p
Was a joke shadowarrior! No offence meant..... we are all ageing

·
Registered
165 Posts
I found that on long journeys my left knee hurts. Seriously hurts!

On the R1250GS the fuel injector 'mechanism' is behind the air intake on the left cylinder and in front on the right. As result, since I am 6ft 2in, my left knee is jammed up on the edge of the black plastic cover.

I cured this problem by cutting up a rubbery black garden kneeler into a wedge shape to blend the edge into the side of the tank. Held on with cable ties without drilling any holes in the bodywork.

Looks rather naff but I don't care since my knee loves it!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hello,

Wanted to ask if any of you noticed pain around your left knee when riding over long distance (around 100+ kms) sitting. I have noticed my left knee is often not even close to the tank, while my right knee is right next to it. Checking if its something common, or a fault in my body which I need to resolve.

Cheers.
I used to have this problem with my right knee on my old FZ6. Not usually a problem on my 1200. Still, pretty common I suspect. These bodies weren't meant to still still and bent up for hours at a time.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes, I notice how I become more spread eagle as I ride farther.. Sort of protection mode for the jewels, but more slumped, too. My pain was caused by a torn meniscus.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello,

Cheers.
funny yesterday was the first time I felt “knee pain” which to me was not my “normal” knee pain- felt more like a tightening paralyzing pain of my leg from the knee down, But nothing like my normal muscle cramp that I would get from time to time on longer rides...Standing would be the trick to relieve my normal knee pain or my normal thigh cramp.. not this time, this time had to stop the group and walk around for
Was thinking it was dehydration? Will bring Gatorade or some sports drink with me next time

1 - 17 of 17 Posts