R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gents,

My GSA 1200 late 2015 model with 19500km on the clock broke down with me mid January 2021 when I was on my way for it's 20 000km service at Motorad.

Bought the Motorcycle at BMW Motorad in Windhoek and did all my services at Motorad. (Capital of Namibia).

The Motorad Mechanic told me the left Piston ceased due to a bearing that caused the rod to mess up the piston. They had to strip the whole engine and the damage on my Motorcycle is N$ 81 000.00 (U$ 5391.43). BMW Motorad South Africa knows about the problem on these models.

The Mechanic is going to try for BMW Motorad assistance to help me with the cost.

Does any owner of a BMW GSA 1200 2015 model experienced the same problem?

Regards,
Stefan van Wyk

·
40 Posts
Sorry to hear about your engine troubles. I have a '15 GS with 87,000km and have had no engine troubles - I've been blessed with a healthy bike.
I hope Motorrad does the right thing and repairs your power plant for no cost!

·
Super Moderator
1,201 Posts
Early engine failures on boxers are pretty rare, particularly crank/rod/piston issues. I assume oil was changed at proper intervals, if so a rare faulty part likely.

I would doubt BMW Motorrad will help on a 2015 but does not hurt to call and ask.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to hear about your engine troubles. I have a '15 GS with 87,000km and have had no engine troubles - I've been blessed with a healthy bike.
Thanks man, much appreciated. Motorcycle been at Motorrad for 3 weeks now and still waiting for them to let me know if their going to assist or not. #fingerscrossed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Early engine failures on boxers are pretty rare, particularly crank/rod/piston issues. I assume oil was changed at proper intervals, if so a rare faulty part likely.

I would doubt BMW Motorrad will help on a 2015 but does not hurt to call and ask.
All services where done at Motorrad and they changed oil ect. We're still waiting to hear from Motorrad if they're going to assist me or not. If not, then its going to be one big blow in my pocket.

I bought BMW because of their well know reliability, and then my left rod bearing gave in at 19000 km. Im not very happy to be honest :/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Hi,

BMW Motorrad is going to cover all cost on my motorcycle :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Man, BMW Motorrad is covering all cost and replacing my engine with a new one! Im very happy with their extremely good service.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wonderful news! Glad they stepped up.

Reactions: DaveFromDenver
1 - 9 of 9 Posts