R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping this subject isn't another "which is the best oil" question :oops:. New to the GS, have a 2019 GSA for about two months. I do not like the factory seat. I'm finding it very uncomfortable for me and I'm usually pretty good with factory seats. My FJR has 110K on its factory seat and I've been comfortable with it, but this GSA I'm finding is uncomfortable. Seems to push me forward, puts pressure in my inner thighs which quickly becomes annoying and there seems to be a lot of heat under it. I'm in Texas, so yes, it's hot out. But at times it feels like I'm on a heated seat! Is there any known heat issues with the GS (like the FJR had at one time)?

And any input on a replacement seat? What you have and why you like it? The bike did not come with a heated seat and I'm thinking if I'm going to get a replacement might as well include heat. I do intend to ride the bike year-round and all over the US so heat might be nice. Just not right now! :)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Went from the factory rally seat to the OEM seat to a one piece Corbin seat then to a Sargent High and now settled for a Sargent Low seat.
If you could borrow seats and use them before buying it would be the best...... will save a lot of money.

·
Registered
2017 White GSA
1,604 Posts
I have had 4 BMW's and each one has had its seat and windshield replaced almost immediately. Best bets for seats are a Sargent or RDL. I have had both. Sargent Seat is an admirable replacement and works for some and it did for me, until I bought the RDL. Despite the sometimes long wait and extra effort required the RDL is well worth it. I dont even notice my seat now and it also works off road.

·
Super Awesom Person
1,002 Posts
I also like the Sargent seat. You can put a mesh over the seat to help with cooling. If you go with Sargent call and ask when the next time a sale is going to happen and he will give you a discount right then.
I had a Kontour seat from Tucson with a very nice mesh material but it was cold in the winter and the rubber in the seat broke down after a copple of years. Don't go that route.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I am about 2 months in to my first BMW bike. 2009 r1200gsa. The previous owner was like 15 feet tall, and had the OEM seat modified by a local outfit (Rich’s) on our Kitsap peninsula in Washington State. I was on my tip toes.

I am a huge fan of Corbin seats, but I felt I needed a “low” seat and Corbin said I would be sacrificing comfort if they built their seat lower. The forums suggested I start with Sargent. They have a “low version” and a 30 day money back guarantee. I went that route.

I am very happy with the Sargent “Low”. It is comfortable on long trips and I can pretty much get both feet flat on the ground.

·
Administrator
1,980 Posts
I am about 2 months in to my first BMW bike. 2009 r1200gsa. The previous owner was like 15 feet tall, and had the OEM seat modified by a local outfit (Rich’s) on our Kitsap peninsula in Washington State. I was on my tip toes.

I am a huge fan of Corbin seats, but I felt I needed a “low” seat and Corbin said I would be sacrificing comfort if they built their seat lower. The forums suggested I start with Sargent. They have a “low version” and a 30 day money back guarantee. I went that route.

I am very happy with the Sargent “Low”. It is comfortable on long trips and I can pretty much get both feet flat on the ground.
If you are interested in selling that tall seat send me a message, I've been looking for one.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've got a Russell Daylong set on my 03 HD Ultra, but went with Sargent set because they are local to me, both are equally good. A week after I got the Sargent I rode 2,500 miles in 4 days and had no issues.

Although I usually swap to a Touratech Dri-ride one piece for off-road just to keep the Sargent clean and because I got it for 50$US at a swap meet so don't mind it it looks nasty or I scrape it on a tree or my BMW GS competition boots.

·
Registered
2018 R1200GS, 2016 FLHTP
7 Posts
I've got a Russell Daylong set...
+1

+1 on the Russell Day Long as I have one on the GS. Easily the best of all of the other seats I've had on this model bike (I'm on my third since 2007). I have tried a similar Bill Mayer saddle, Corbin, & Sargent. The Sargent was the best of those three, but the Day Long eclipses that. I'm 6'1 with a 33" inseam which is helpful with the RDL as the front portion of the seat "wings" do intrude a bit when you put your feet down. But it is something you easily adapt to and does not interfere (helps actually) when standing on the pegs.

Pro-tip: If you ride in cooler climes, get the heated option - expensive but welcome when you need it.

·
I'd rather be flying
243 Posts
I had a Sargent on my old oil cooled GS. It was the best seat I've ever had on a bike. I opted to get the heated Sargent seat for my new GSA because my wife preferred a heated seat. I'm not entirely fond of it. It sure is better than stock but the edges are either a little too hard or too sharp. It digs into my hamstrings a little and gets uncomfortable on long trips. Maybe that's a trait of the heated part of the seat. I sure miss my old bike.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm hoping this subject isn't another "which is the best oil" question :oops:. New to the GS, have a 2019 GSA for about two months. I do not like the factory seat. I'm finding it very uncomfortable for me and I'm usually pretty good with factory seats. My FJR has 110K on its factory seat and I've been comfortable with it, but this GSA I'm finding is uncomfortable. Seems to push me forward, puts pressure in my inner thighs which quickly becomes annoying and there seems to be a lot of heat under it. I'm in Texas, so yes, it's hot out. But at times it feels like I'm on a heated seat! Is there any known heat issues with the GS (like the FJR had at one time)?

And any input on a replacement seat? What you have and why you like it? The bike did not come with a heated seat and I'm thinking if I'm going to get a replacement might as well include heat. I do intend to ride the bike year-round and all over the US so heat might be nice. Just not right now! :)

Thanks in advance!
Though changing the seat to an aftermarket one is better, you can also try setting the front adjuster to H and keep the rear at L. It will significantly reduce the tendency to push you forward.

Related to the heat, is your bike using Mudsling rear fender extender?

·
Registered
'08 GS
12 Posts
I've only had my '08 for a few months now, but the stock seat that the seller said worked for him felt like I was sitting on my junk and had to go. Being cheap, I first tried my Alaska Leather Buttpad sheepskin pad which helped, but wasn't the solution. Then I gave Sargent a look and since they offered me some sort of BMW celebration event discount and 30 days to return it, I decided I couldn't say no. At first I wasn't sure it was the answer, but last week my daughter and I did a three day tour and at our first stop she was already really hurting so I gave her the buttpad and assumed we'd either switch off or I'd just be the one to suffer. But I found that the seat was quite comfortable by itself and any soreness I felt wasn't going to stop me had we have stayed out longer. I think I'm still going to use the AL Buttpad when I'm solo, but I'm tall enough for the extra height, and I like how it feels. I think the wider and flatter profile is way more suitable for me than the hammock shape of the OEM seat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm in Texas as well and put a Corbin (no heat) on my 2020 GSA. Stock, I could ride maybe 2-3 hours before I had to get off. Rode the Corbin from Tyler, Texas to the Yankee Beamers rally in Vermont and back this past June. It was a little over 2,000 miles up and another 2,000 back. I was good for about 5-6 hours and maybe a little longer depending on the day before I had to get off for about an hour or so then continue (In addition to the quick gas stop). Not bad but still wanted better. I put a Sargent on and did my first 1,000 up towards Nashville and back. The Sargent was more comfortable and didn't need to take a longer break. I do like the Corbin but the Sargent is just more comfortable I'm 6'2" and go about 195lbs so I always have mine in the high position. I did notice on the Corbin, if you try to put it in the low position, it pushes you forward which I didn't like at all. I'm being a little picky but the Corbin in the high position doesn't fit as snug to the tank, leaves a gap that I didn't care for. Still, much better than the stock but for me, the Sargent was better. I've never been on a RDL so I can't comment on a comparison to it.
I didn't look but if the Corbin from a 2020 GSA will fit on your 2022 and you're in Texas, I'll meet you, take it and you can decide for yourself if it's even an option.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I share your pain. I've had a 2016 for a year, and was appalled at how the original seat felt - sliding the slope into the tank, thighs pushed apart - really lame. I got some relief (like many) from raising the front and lowering the rear adjustment of the seat, but not enough. I got a Seat Concepts Intermediate, which is generally great, as it's designed to drop the back and raise the front, and it's narrow in front, which is much more comfy, and I can let my legs hang naturally and additionally get more foot on the ground. I've been on two 3-day trips of around 1000 miles each and my butt's been pretty good.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Thanks in advance!
Sargent for me, although yet to purchase for my '22 GSA. I've had Sargent seats on several of my other bikes, including my K1600 GTL and they've always worked well for me. I've tried the Air Hawk, which I've used in the past, but it wasn't good with the GSA. So back to Sargent for me. Ordering tomorrow. And I know they ship fast.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks in advance!
I would suggest that you try the Air-Flow Seat Cover before going to the expense of buying a new custom made seat. I used to have to ride the pegs every 45 minutes or so to relieve butt pain, but since I have installed the cover I can ride much longer without pain.
I just bought the cover for the front seat and paid $65 for it.
The vendor advertises that they have been designed and manufactured for hot climates where the summer temperatures exceed 100 degrees or more.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts

Thanks in advance!
I had this guy make me an entire new seat for me.

He makes a new base so that the seat is wider under your sit bones and it is so comfortable.

Unbelievably comfortable. The OEM seat made me like a cripple when I got off the bike after an hour.

Check him out.

M

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm in Texas as well and put a Corbin (no heat) on my 2020 GSA. Stock, I could ride maybe 2-3 hours before I had to get off. Rode the Corbin from Tyler, Texas to the Yankee Beamers rally in Vermont and back this past June. It was a little over 2,000 miles up and another 2,000 back. I was good for about 5-6 hours and maybe a little longer depending on the day before I had to get off for about an hour or so then continue (In addition to the quick gas stop). Not bad but still wanted better. I put a Sargent on and did my first 1,000 up towards Nashville and back. The Sargent was more comfortable and didn't need to take a longer break. I do like the Corbin but the Sargent is just more comfortable I'm 6'2" and go about 195lbs so I always have mine in the high position. I did notice on the Corbin, if you try to put it in the low position, it pushes you forward which I didn't like at all. I'm being a little picky but the Corbin in the high position doesn't fit as snug to the tank, leaves a gap that I didn't care for. Still, much better than the stock but for me, the Sargent was better. I've never been on a RDL so I can't comment on a comparison to it.
I didn't look but if the Corbin from a 2020 GSA will fit on your 2022 and you're in Texas, I'll meet you, take it and you can decide for yourself if it's even an option.
Motor vehicle Wood Automotive design Tints and shades Automotive tire

I apologize and see your bike is a 2019 GSA. Either way, the Corbin seat I have from my 2020 GSA should fit. I went back to the Corbin site to check. Let me know if you would like the seat I have.... I'm not charging or asking a price for it. It's yours if you want it. At the very least, it is better than the stock seat and buys you time at no cost to try some other suggestions to see what ultimately works for you. I'm in Tyler Texas, travel to San Antonio, Houston and Dallas quite often and can meet up with you if you want.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts