R1200GS Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2008 R1200GS
61 Posts
When I bought my used 2008 R1200GS, it came with two BMW OEM seats. Standard and Low heights. I am inseam challenged (30") so hitting the ground is important to me. Although sort of comfortable, the OEM Standard seat was simply too tall for me. On the OEM Low-Seat, Beemer basically removed much needed foam and my butt-bones were screaming out!! On a cross-country ride last year, I used the Low-Seat with a 1" thick gel-pad on top for added comfort. Made a huge difference!

However, while searching online for BMW goodies, I came across this rider outside Tucson that was retiring from riding per his Doctor's orders. He'd ready sold his bike. I rode my R1200GS to his place. He had a slew of goodies, I bought a near perfect Bill Mayer Saddle (BMS) dished-out "Tractor Style" rider's seat from him ($75). He also had a red BMW Armored Riding Jacket ($50). Then then dragged out a nice rear-pack that replaced and snapped onto where the passenger seat goes ($50).

Major score that day...Woo Hoo!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
View attachment 34007
I apologize and see your bike is a 2019 GSA. Either way, the Corbin seat I have from my 2020 GSA should fit. I went back to the Corbin site to check. Let me know if you would like the seat I have.... I'm not charging or asking a price for it. It's yours if you want it. At the very least, it is better than the stock seat and buys you time at no cost to try some other suggestions to see what ultimately works for you. I'm in Tyler Texas, travel to San Antonio, Houston and Dallas quite often and can meet up with you if you want.
This is a long shot, but if you still have that seat, I’d sure like to give it a try.

·
Registered
2018 R1200GS, 2016 FLHTP
7 Posts
FWIW, I've owned several GS' over the years & have tried many different seats in my quest for the perfect one. My riding is mostly road riding - paved & unpaved. Being older, gnarley single tracks (which occasionally occur on the latter) are not something I seek out anymore.

Customs were never quite right, Seat Concepts & Sargent's were the best off the shelf, but not all day comfortable for me, Corbins are works of art, but never seemed to 'break in' - you get the idea.

I went with a Russell Day Long for my '18 & have finally found the perfect seat for my butt and the riding I do. And I never thought I'd need it, but the heated option (Colorado) is worth the upgrade. Like the pperry comment above, it is a bit taller, but a windshield swap has solved any buffeting issues.

Naturally every butt is different, so YMMV...

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is a long shot, but if you still have that seat, I’d sure like to give it a try.
Yes, I do still have the seat. I've been working on cleaning out the garage and have a few items to get rid of that I don't use. I also have the original BMW luggage rack that came with the bike if you want or need that as well. I went with the Shad system and it's taking up space. I'm still relatively new to this site but I think if you send me a PM I can give you my information and we can meet up.

·
Reprobate
145 Posts
You don't really describe your riding style, so the recommendations given may or may not be a fit for you. I have two GSAs. My long distance GSA is a sidecar rig that never leaves pavement or well-maintained dirt roads. I have a Russell Day Long for that bike and since day one have never had a complaint. I had the top of the saddle done in light gray so it doesn't fry my butt after lunch stops out west. But my other GSA is a two-wheeler used here in northern New England where 90 percent of our roads are unpaved, and many have been unmaintained for decades leaving them in conditions only high clearance 4WD vehicles dare attempt. For those conditions I find the Russell entirely unsatisfactory as it prevents me from sliding back on tricky downhill sections. Those wings that make it so comfortable on road trips dig painfully into the back of my thighs when standing on the pegs. For that bike I use a Sargent and have been very happy with it.

My advice would be to have a beer and seriously think about how you intend to use the bike before making a purchase.

·
Registered
BMW R1200 GS TE
5 Posts
I'm hoping this subject isn't another "which is the best oil" question :oops:. New to the GS, have a 2019 GSA for about two months. I do not like the factory seat. I'm finding it very uncomfortable for me and I'm usually pretty good with factory seats. My FJR has 110K on its factory seat and I've been comfortable with it, but this GSA I'm finding is uncomfortable. Seems to push me forward, puts pressure in my inner thighs which quickly becomes annoying and there seems to be a lot of heat under it. I'm in Texas, so yes, it's hot out. But at times it feels like I'm on a heated seat! Is there any known heat issues with the GS (like the FJR had at one time)?

And any input on a replacement seat? What you have and why you like it? The bike did not come with a heated seat and I'm thinking if I'm going to get a replacement might as well include heat. I do intend to ride the bike year-round and all over the US so heat might be nice. Just not right now! :)

Thanks in advance!
I have to have the seat on high setting at the front and low at the back and that sorts out the sliding forward problem, but its not ideal is it? Who designed that???

21 - 30 of 30 Posts