R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone find a source for the brake / clutch lever plunger? I managed to strip out the 2 mm set screw on the barrel that the plunger screws into. So in reality I need the barrel and set screw. Seems a strange way to hold the plunger in place; A set screw that screws into threads on the plunger. Anyway, I either need to find a new barrel Or need to have one made. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
You may have to by a whole assembly. I found one on e-bay last year. I made a similar mistake in not backing out the set-screw first, before trying to back out the plunger and snapped the 2mm hexhead in the back. Luckily I had enough room and with a rubber band for added friction, was able to remove the plunger and transfer it to my new lever. I got the clutch lever w/ plunger as insurance in case that original part failed - so far it's holding up. I checked places like Beemer Boneyard to no success. E-bay was where I found the lever needed. I think it has to do with BMW Motorrad's liability and parts control - that you cannot get that plunger bit on its own. (My speculation). It was about $100 (yes, I paid it) - chalked it up to a painful lesson learned on my end. There was a very similar post to this on Facebook on the MOA page.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone find a source for the brake / clutch lever plunger? I managed to strip out the 2 mm set screw on the barrel that the plunger screws into. So in reality I need the barrel and set screw. Seems a strange way to hold the plunger in place; A set screw that screws into threads on the plunger. Anyway, I either need to find a new barrel Or need to have one made. Thanks
Were you ever able to find a replacement? I heated up the set screw and melted the plastic around the bushing holding the plunger. I have tape around the bushing to get it back together but would love to find that bushing. Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I didn’t. I took my assembly to the local dealer (A&S in Roseville, Ca) and they dug a whole lever assembly out of their used parts bin and traded me for mine. I think I caught them on a good day. $500 for a whole new assembly!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
No I didn’t. I took my assembly to the local dealer (A&S in Roseville, Ca) and they dug a whole lever assembly out of their used parts bin and traded me for mine. I think I caught them on a good day. $500 for a whole new assembly!!!!
My dealer never offered. Called BMW and they said that intention is not to take the assembly apart. Really, a break lever that can’t replace for less than $500 if you screw up a set screw. Pretty disappointing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts