R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2005 R1200GS
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I’ve seen many GS’s with auxiliary lighting and upgraded headlights I haven’t seen anything like what I am looking for. Recently I got a late start and ended up getting to my destination long after dark. TreeBones (in Bug Sur) is up above CA hwy 1 and to get there you go up a very twisty road that has a number of hairpin switch backs. Because the headlights on the GS are fixed looking dead ahead I could not see where the road was going around these sharp bends. I also live in the mountains off twisty roads and do not ride at night if I can avoid it because of the lack of visibility.
Anyways, has anyone mounted l lights on their forks that would shine where the wheel is pointed? If so what did you use and how are they mounted. TIA

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
187 Posts
Where the wheel is pointing... - that wouldn't be enough as I tried it already.
I have the same problem you do and I finaly solved it by purchasing one extra pair of Aliexpress lights and connecting them to the high beam switch (through EzCan). I have them pointing much to the sides and up so when I get to a twisty road at night I turn on high beam and when the bike is leaning those lights light up inside the corner very well.

·
Administrator
1,138 Posts
I put two pair of accessory lights on my GS: a wide beam flood pattern pair and a long reach spot beam pattern pair. Both are connected off an ezCAN. The floods I have are yellow tinted for conspicuity. I went on a search project this past year to see how inexpensively I could add this kind of accessory light to my bike. Given LED technology and how well understood reflector design must be by now, it just doesn't make sense to me that you'd have to spend several hundred to over a thousand dollars to get some pretty great light thrown on the road. The result of my search is described here:

Reactions: Ridgetopboy

·
Administrator
1,138 Posts
TreeBones (in Bug Sur) is up above CA hwy 1 and to get there you go up a very twisty road that has a number of hairpin switch backs.
I live on the right coast so don't get there often but that's one of my favorite places to go for a mental reset from Monterey to 17 mile drive to Big Sur is a bit of heaven on earth.

·
Registered
2005 R1200GS
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put two pair of accessory lights on my GS: a wide beam flood pattern pair and a long reach spot beam pattern pair. Both are connected off an ezCAN. The floods I have are yellow tinted for conspicuity. I went on a search project this past year to see how inexpensively I could add this kind of accessory light to my bike. Given LED technology and how well understood reflector design must be by now, it just doesn't make sense to me that you'd have to spend several hundred to over a thousand dollars to get some pretty great light thrown on the road. The result of my search is described here:

Like you, I am not going out and spending big bucks on Clearwater et al LED lights, doesn't make sense. I do not have the BMW aux lights to delete or use the wiring from so I'll try to go it with so inexpensive LED lighting from Amazon and aim them to the sides a bit as Bosnjoand Graybeard suggest.

I'm still confused about how to get them to work with the CANBUS system without spending $$$ on a HexCAN or similar but maybe I have to bite the bullet theere?

·
Registered
2017 R1200GSA
50 Posts
Anyways, has anyone mounted l lights on their forks that would shine where the wheel is pointed? If so what did you use and how are they mounted. TIA
This is my speculation because I don't have my lights mounted to the forks. During our normal turns, like in the twisty, the changing of direction is mostly done by leaning our bikes; the front wheel is very much aligned straight with the rest of the bike. So at speed higher than, let's say, 15 - 20 mph, the fork-mounted lights would point very much the same direction as frame-mounted lights. I think fork-mounted lights would help (the way you think they should) only in slow maneuvers or standing still. Next time, when you do the turns at speed higher than 20mph, glance down at your handlebar and see if you could detect any significant turning angle compared to going straight.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yet another interesting conversation. I rarely drive at night but am concerned about visibility during the day. I'm contemplating fitting some Denali lights with an EzCam to control them along with a Denali's Sound Bomb Horn. I'm hesitating somewhat due to cost. A pair of Denali D3's (their latest), the EzCam and the Horn and all the bracketry will run out at well in excess of €650+/USD$700+. That said what price safety?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I've been happy with my $30 LED Sideshooter 3" Cubes mounted on a lightbar. Not only do they illuminate the road ahead the "sideshooter" lights up the sides foir an almost 140 degree cast of light.

Make sure you get the all-white as some have amber, blue and/or red side lights on the side shooter that will cycle through strobe/solid/off. There is a board in these that every time you power the light it switches modes. The all-white do not have this feature it's just on/off.

I also like to use a pick-up a or make a cheap 12v wiring harness with a fused relay and switch. Then I power directly off the battery than is a trigger wire to a keyed power source like the city light to "trigger" trigger power to the relay when the key is turned to the "on" position. This way it keeps auxiliary wiring separate from the bikes wiring and also makes it blind to the CANBUS system (at least it does on Hexheads)

All in to include lights $40, light bar $52, harness/switch $12 and posi-tap $4 or about $120.

Light Automotive lighting Rectangle Gadget Font

·
Administrator
1,290 Posts
I use cheap Amazon LED spot lights, angled a bit to hit the ditches on 2 lanes roads and also helps in the corners.

@PerazziMx14 side shooters would be great too. I like having the extra wide beam pattern with the auxillary lights.

·
Administrator
1,138 Posts
You can make yourself as conspicuous as the $500 lights for less than $30. Add the ezCAN for another $200 if you'd like control from your existing switches and the ability to configure the brightness of the lights. My $20 lights are so bright that I turn them down to 10% day or night on low beam and they'll still leave spots on your eyes :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
You can make yourself as conspicuous as the $500 lights for less than $30. Add the ezCAN for another $200 if you'd like control from your existing switches and the ability to configure the brightness of the lights. My $20 lights are so bright that I turn them down to 10% day or night on low beam and they'll still leave spots on your eyes :)
Interesting, what lights are you using?

·
Administrator
1,138 Posts
Interesting, what lights are you using?
These are the flood beam/fog lights I have on the bike:

There is one quirk with these lights - they change mode if you turn them off and back on again within three seconds. That doesn't work so well with things like flash to pass causing them with switch modes. Just be aware - but they are pretty dang cheap!

These don't throw as much light but are plenty bright enough to be conspicuous:

And if you're really interested in throwing a spot beam driving pattern way down the road, these are doing it for me:

And here's what they look like on the bike:

I put the RubyMoto lens covers on the spots. They engineered that color to be determined most conspicuous. I landed here after experimenting with the $20 rectangle floods and if I had to to do over again, I'd just buy these spots off eBay for $38/pair and add the RubyMoto lens covers for another $30. I really like that color of yellow and these lights are insanely bright - conspicuous and own the night :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
These are the flood beam/fog lights I have on the bike:

There is one quirk with these lights - they change mode if you turn them off and back on again within three seconds. That doesn't work so well with things like flash to pass causing them with switch modes. Just be aware - but they are pretty dang cheap!

These don't throw as much light but are plenty bright enough to be conspicuous:

And if you're really interested in throwing a spot beam driving pattern way down the road, these are doing it for me:

And here's what they look like on the bike:

I put the RubyMoto lens covers on the spots. They engineered that color to be determined most conspicuous. I landed here after experimenting with the $20 rectangle floods and if I had to to do over again, I'd just buy these spots off eBay for $38/pair and add the RubyMoto lens covers for another $30. I really like that color of yellow and these lights are insanely bright - conspicuous and own the night :)
Thanks for your detailed response GB, I'll take a look. Regards, Tony

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is a reason why some lights cost big bucks. They are simply better. I have been using Baja Designs lights on my cars and bike for years and they are simply superb. We have a lot of wildlife down here in Tasmania so broad lighting is essential. My car has a custom built Baja Designs
light bar and a pair of wide driving XL80 led driving lights. The reach and width of light is exceptional. I mounted a pair of Baja Designs Squadron Pro driving combo lights on my R1250GS and the lighting is excellent. Image is of the current lighting on the car.
Automotive lighting Font Asphalt Tints and shades Road

·
Administrator
1,138 Posts
Taking nothing away from how excellent the Baja Designs, Denali, Ruby Moto, or Clearwater light products are, all four of these lights on my bike including the most expensive part of the solution, the ezCAN, all in cost less than half of even the cheapest from those more premium brands.

The ezCAN is about $200. The spots were $38/pair and the floods were $17/pair. Wiring and connectors another few bucks. For that, at full power I'm throwing nearly 20,000 lumens of light. With the ezCAN I've got the spots configured to be off during the daytime and the floods on at 10%. Everything comes on 100% when I activate my high beam. At night, I configured it to bring on the spots at 10% until I active the high beam were everything goes to 100%. The bike knows night from day and tells the ezCAN how to operate with that distinction.

If I drop my bike and break a light or even if it just quits working I can buy replacements for less than the price of a tank of gas in the bike. I think these Chinese products are a real threat to the premium US brands and I don't like that any more than any of you. But, the price difference in these solutions is impossible to ignore and are bound to eat into the sales of brands that cost 10x-20x more and it's up to the US brands to respond - either with less expensive products; or, a very good explanation of why their lights represent a good value. When I've paid a tiny fraction of the price for these lights, super duper customer service just doesn't sway me.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Here's my 2 cents on auxiliary lights, you get what you pay for. On my 2017 GS I spent the money on the Denali Mounting bracket and EzCan but purchased some cheap Creed lights off Amazon, they served there purpose as far as being seen but at night I just didn't see a whole lot of increased visibility, especially with the high beams LED headlights on. I really don't do a lot night riding so I was fine keeping them on the bike. I traded that bike in on 2021 GSA and left the set up on the 2017 ( light bar and Ezcan had changed ). The GSA came with the factory auxiliary's but I still wanted to add to them so I started watching some comparison videos and decided on the Rigid Hyperspots, added a new light mount and Gen2 Ezcan and some amber snap on lenses, all in $740 ( ouch ). I wish I had a picture of the beam of light the Amazon lights projected compared to these Rigid's. I ended up having to ride back from a trip I took to New England last month with six hours in the dark , through a large part of the Adirondacks and I can tell you that having those lights had my confident level right up there...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts