R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Just Another Guy!!!!
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys experiencing a odd thing, my low beam isn't working and I have a "FAULT!" on the dash??? Replaced the low beam H7 55W bulb, no low beam but works on HIGH beam......hmmmmmm!!!
Would a GS-911 tell me anything??? TIA!!! :nerd::nerd:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Test the new bulb with a continuity tester to verify its good. More than one bulb has been faulty from the factory.

The GS911 tool is good but it can only process information from the onboard computer. It can tell you faults but cannot diagnose things like broken wires it just see's the fault caused by the broken wire.

·
Just Another Guy!!!!
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Test the new bulb with a continuity tester to verify its good. More than one bulb has been faulty from the factory.

The GS911 tool is good but it can only process information from the onboard computer. It can tell you faults but cannot diagnose things like broken wires it just see's the fault caused by the broken wire.
Guess I'll get the voltmeter out as well and see if it's getting voltage, could have a brand new bulb bad!!! YUK!

·
Just Another Guy!!!!
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are there fuses anywhere? Can't seem to find any....the wiring diagram doesn't show any, just CanBus. I'm starting to wonder if it's the headlight switch, Hmmmmmmm.....

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
121 Posts
This is a schematic I found somewhere, it might not be applicable to your BMW but it definitively typical of R1200 motorcycle.

I use it to work on my 2009 R1200GS and it is mostly accurate.

Note the absence of fuses, all the outputs are monitored by the ZFE (main control module) for short circuits/excessive current draw. If such a condition is detected, the ZFE cut the 12v to that output (shut down and restart motor to reset).

You can also see the absence of direct wire for the lights. All the switches are connected only the the ZFE and 'ask it' to send power to the requested light.

Look at the left multifunction switch, you'll see only one common wire for left flasher, horn and High beam. The LOW beam is on by default, no power running through the handlebar switch.

1st step of diagnostic: swap the bulb with the high beam to make sure it's good (dead new bulbs are not unheard of)
2nd: check carefully the connector where you plug the bulb, make sure it makes a good contact. It's hot behind the bulb and sometime, the connectors become loose.
3rd: Measure with a voltmeter (motor running) if you have power at the bulb connector.

If power present, replace connector
Non power, check wiring from ZFE.

·
Just Another Guy!!!!
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep I found it.....corroded pin on the plug for the headlight body, no voltage at the bulb so I pulled the connector and started to check for voltage and one of the pins was green!!! Contact cleaner to the rescue....then lube!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts