R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone put a lithium battery in a 13-17 GS? I want to free up some space in my battery box. I've put lithium batteries in several bikes with no problems. But we are talking BMW here. So if not, why?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Anyone put a lithium battery in a 13-17 GS? I want to free up some space in my battery box. I've put lithium batteries in several bikes with no problems. But we are talking BMW here. So if not, why?
I put one in my 2014 GSA. It’s been about a year now and it’s been fantastic except when the temp is below 40F. Then I have to turn on the key with bright lights on for several minutes to self-warm the battery. After several minutes, it starts and all works normal until next cool weather start.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just yanked my Anti-Gravity Lithium and replaced with old-fashioned lead. Lithium is nice because it is about 1/3 the weight, has flatter discharge curve, but lead is far more tolerant of abuse (e.g., me) than lithium. In my case, I let the bike sit for 3 months and lithium battery discharged; wouldn't charge normally afterwards. The "button" that is supposed to give you one last start worked, but the battery didn't have enough oompf left to turn the engine over robustly enough to start. I charged the battery with the battery tender, and it started and ran OK, but when the dealer put it on the electronics (to update things) it wasn't strong enough to do the testing. Irony is that I had a battery tender for lithium batteries about 10 feet away, but neglected to put it on (and I was 2000 miles away.)

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Just went through this on my 1250. I like lithium iron (LiFe) based batteries and have been using Shorai for years with no issues and good life, so put a Shorai in the 1250 that was supposed to have 270 CCA but would barely start the bike and would dropped to 8.5 volts when cranking and then the starter would simply shut down. Tried to contact Shorai for a replacement but they wouldn't answer their phone and it rolled over to a voice mail box that was full. WTH. Filled out on online warranty request and stated I wanted to pay the difference for the higher rated version. No response. About 8 days later I get an email saying my replacement is on it's way. Yup, you guessed it, they sent the same version with the same problem, never contacted me. So now I have two useless batteries and I'm out $200. So I'm done with Shorai.

In my searches I found a brand called NOCO with very good feedback, same size as the Shorai and with higher amps.
Bought their NLP14 on Amazon for $130. So far so good, really cranks the 1250. It comes with spacers, but I made a shelf for it to sit on which gives me about 2.5 inches underneath it for small items. Time will tell.

·
Administrator
1,138 Posts
I've been running an EarthX battery in my 2016 GS since 2018 and it's been flawless. There was one time I stupidly wired something up on the bike that led to the battery being discharged. After going through the procedure to recover from the protection shutdown by the BMS, it started the bike and quickly charged back to a normal level. It's now been in the bike for a couple of months and several thousand miles since I corrected the source of that discharge incident with no further problems.

I used an EarthX 36C battery and it's spins the bike over to start it with much more enthusiasm than the OEM battery :)

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
^ The EarthX was going to be my next choice until I came across the NOCO. EarthX is LiFe, and is the only lithium battery certified for used in light aircraft and it's made in the US.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts