R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be looking to get my bike serviced here soon (12,000 mile service).

Suggestions on who does good work in the San Diego area ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
SoCal service recommendations

I recommend BMW motorcycles of Escondido for the following reasons. I and a friend ( frequently on this site ) have the same bike with the same problem. One of us went to a San Diego area dealer and the other went to Escondido BMW for the same problem. Here's how these two dealerships handled the issue of many loose spokes. First this is a common issue of the spokes loosening up in a few months of easy street break-in riding on the '18 R1200GS & A production run. Now, one bike went to a San Diego area dealer and was charged roughly $175 to tighten the spokes. The second bike went to Escondido and was told to return in a week for a new set of factory wheels, no charge. This is not the end of the story and to add insult to injury, once a dealer logs into the factory website that they performed service outside of warranty, you no longer have any warranty on your bad wheels on a 3 month old bike for the rest of the 3 year warranty period. So paying a dealer to tighten your spokes, even if it should have been warranty, voids your warranty on that part of the bike. To further check this out I went to Escondido BMW and asked about this. I asked the service writer about my friends bike loose spokes, was it under warranty. They said, Yes that's right have him bring it in and we'll replace them. I further elaborated that another dealer charged him $ to tighten the spokes and does that effect their ability to fix the problem under warranty. He said absolutely yes :surprise:, now we can't touch those wheels under warranty anymore. He was amazed that the other dealership didn't recognize a common warranty issue. Now he's stuck (screwed ) with a bad set of wheels because a dealer mishandled the problem. The bike with the new wheels is still tight after 14K miles of rough heavy adv. use. That's my take on which dealer to go to go to. Plus some dealers have an attitude that turns me off very quickly. I will ride miles out of my way for friendly knowledgeable service.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts