R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I commute to work at a university, which is a high crime area. Motorcycles have been stolen but those were not handlebar-locked.

Question is, do handlebar locks ever break? I assume that unless they do, a thief is limited to backing up a truck and lifting. In this location, that is very unlikely.

I tend to not use anything else, but I've never had a bike this pretty before. About to pick up a low-mileage beauty.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've never heard of a handlebar lock failing, but you could always get a brake disc lock, which will positively lock the front wheel and is much more a visible deterrent than just locking the bars. Almost any lock will work in the day-time in a high traffic area. Park where there are cameras.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Lock

Most Handlebar locks can be broken with enough force, if you can lock it to a pole or another immovable object.
Me I have a GPS Security System so the poor person that takes my bike will have a rude awakening when I show up.

Furniture Movers seem to be used so if you have a disk lock, chain but only the wheels, handlebar lock ect...they can just roll it on...

·
Survivor
682 Posts
I commute to work at a university, which is a high crime area. Motorcycles have been stolen but those were not handlebar-locked.

Question is, do handlebar locks ever break? I assume that unless they do, a thief is limited to backing up a truck and lifting. In this location, that is very unlikely.

I tend to not use anything else, but I've never had a bike this pretty before. About to pick up a low-mileage beauty.
First, my condolences on having to live/work in one of the many modern cities that demand so much concern and caution. Second, if a fork/handlebar lock is going to break it will likely do it in the locked position; difficult to fix. Good insurance and a stout chain are your best precautions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very disappointing. Handlebar and brake rotor locks and be defeated by furniture dollies. The heavy chain referenced above also has plenty of reviews alleging that their chains had either been hacksawed or picked. Worse, I didn't see anything that seemed better for this purpose on amazon.

So the bottom line is that no-one parks their $20k GS outside in New York? or Chicago? or DC?

·
Super Awesom Person
530 Posts
Very disappointing. Handlebar and brake rotor locks and be defeated by furniture dollies. The heavy chain referenced above also has plenty of reviews alleging that their chains had either been hacksawed or picked. Worse, I didn't see anything that seemed better for this purpose on amazon.

So the bottom line is that no-one parks their $20k GS outside in New York? or Chicago? or DC?
I've had that lock for about a year and it's about the best on the market. Nothing will stop someone who wants your bike but this thing will cause a thief to work very hard or hopefully look for an easier target. The only problem is it's a very heavy chain and lock. I do close the key door to keep the rain out and periodicity use a little DuPont Teflon Easy Entry Lock Lubricant ($5. on Amazon) to keep the key working well.

·
Registered
153 Posts
https://www.carbibles.com/motorcycle-gps-tracker/

They also make alarm systems for motors that will send you a notice if the bike is tampered with, others have a LOUD audible sound alerting the owner to someone tampering with the bike.

My best option has always been covering the bike. People aren't drawn to looking at something they can't see without messing with the cover.

When I was in Deadhorse, Ak. I was told huge thefts of bikes coming and going to the arctic circle in that town. Preying on the tourists motoring through that area and staying overnight. I put the cover on the bike right in front of the motel, didn't have a problem. Several other bikes there that night and they all had covers on them, not a one was touched in a rather seedy area of that city.

·
Registered
275 Posts
It would be frustrating to have a nice heavy chain and lock and not being able to find a place to park your bike where you can use it. In the daytime, in a heavily-traffic'd area, your chances of problems are minimum. Just keep your bars locked and your insurance in force...

·
Registered
1 Posts
security = layers

my 2 cents as a former LEO (cop) - the more layers to your security, the better. anything you can do to inconvenience the opposition and slow them down works to your advantage. Your backup is the insurance. If it is a really nice bike then be sure you have comprehensive insurance just in case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my 2 cents as a former LEO (cop) - the more layers to your security, the better. anything you can do to inconvenience the opposition and slow them down works to your advantage. Your backup is the insurance. If it is a really nice bike then be sure you have comprehensive insurance just in case.
Absolutely. I occasionally teach computer security. Defense-in-depth, and, of course, making someone else’s system (bike) look the easier target are two prime strategies.

Not used to having the prettiest bike around!

·
Registered
16 Posts
It probably depends on what you mean by a high crime area, the modus operandi of the thieves and the responsiveness of police.

Here in the UK it's now unfortunately common for our cities to be high crime areas for motorcycle theft. In London in particular there are gangs of motorcycle thieves who are experts at stealing bikes. The steering lock alone would be virtually useless - they sit on the back seat, kick the handlebars with their feet and break it within seconds. They carry battery powered angle grinders, so they cut through disc locks and chains. They then get away by someone on a (already stolen) scooter pushing the motorbike with their foot as they ride along. They arrive as large groups armed with hammers, axes and acid, so passers by stand little chance of stopping them. Police officer numbers have dwindled over the years, and theft of a £12,000 motorbike is considered low priority compared with theft of a £10,000 piece of jewellery, so police often don't arrive in time to catch them and many bikes don't get recovered.

Against that kind of scenario the only options are to add as many layers of defence as possible to make it a less appealing target, or to avoid the area entirely. It's a depressing situation and means there is no way I would park my bike in London. Mind you, they also hijack riders and take the bike they were sitting on, so even riding through can be risky (happens less though). For a while police forces allowed their pursuit drivers to knock thieves off bike with their cars. I'm not sure whether this has stopped now, because some softies thought it was too drastic (I disagree), and lawyers and police reps have pointed out that police are not immune from the law, and the law as it stands means police could be prosecuted for death by dangerous driving, manslaughter or murder (in which case the law needs changing!).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts